Server time: 2017-10-20, 18:07
Safe Zone: CLOSED

Sign in to follow this  
Jack Allen

Removable masks during initiations?

Jack Allen    18

It seems everytime I get robbed, everyone just starts stripping my character, without permission or just without care. Well why not? Why would you be nice and ask if they can take off that jacket? Because it's not like bandits would be kind in real life, right? But when it comes to just yanking masks off of people, I see that as a bit of a downer. My character has many marks across his face, some are burn marks, some are marks from torture. So why not add a bit of Roleplay into taking off a mask, instead of just removing it from them?

One of the reasons I bring this up, is because my character has permanent damage to his face. So if you take off his mask, you would react. Now im not saying that there should be a rule, that would be kind of dumb. But im just seeing what everyones opinion is on including roleplaying when taking off player items. Not once when I got robbed, was I asked why I had a mask. It just got removed, and that was that. So what are your thoughts on this? Do you think it be more realistic if people would actually ask why you have a mask on, instead of just removing it the second you initiate?

Jerry    22

*When robber takes off mask, horrifying burn marks and torture wounds are revealed*

Drop that in the chat, they will obviously react accordingly to their character.

You gotta remember people roleplay these tough bandits, don't expect them to be phased.

Hex    31

Personally, if I rob someone and wish to take their mask off for whatever reason, be it that I want it or I want it off them, I generally dont care why they have it on, though I get a decent chuckle out of getting to say "Damn man your ugly" after I pull someones mask off. There are alot of hard things to RP currently, scars being one of them and it and to be fair, if the guy or girl is robbing you, chances are they dont care what you look like or how you got those scars or why your always smiling or why you have no teeth or anything.

Grihm    16

If you have marks that is distinguishable to you as a character, it´s one thing. However, to have a "reaction" from it is for the opposite player to decide. Not everyone will be shocked that you have scars or burn marks etc. That would be a forced reaction if you "expect" this from everyone.

Davos    5

I see taking it, so they know what you look like and can remember your face. Obviously with so few faces to select this doesn't really work in game, but in real life it would make sense, so that the next time they saw you and matched your name up they would keep a wary eye on you. I however agree with Jerry, that such a response would be an acceptable response to them removing your mask, and that they should respond appropriately, maybe even apologizing and permitting you to put it back on.

Hatch    0

*When robber takes off mask, horrifying burn marks and torture wounds are revealed*

Drop that in the chat, they will obviously react accordingly to their character.

This ^

People cannot mind read, roleplay is a two way street :)

DerrickStorm    34

[align=justify]As stated in posts above, once they remove it, you should RP it out. I've done it literally yesterday and the RP reaction was pretty nice and  one of them decided to put my mask back on after what he saw. So I don't have anything against taking things off me and if you have anything underneath, like scars or tattoos, it's your part to RP it out and their part if they will or won't react to it.

Pussy    382

There are many reasons why people might want to remove your mask, one of which might be to "identify your face" so they can know you if you decide to try any funny business. Another point to make I think is that it's not really realistic for people to tip toe around the role play of a mask just because someone may or may not have horrifying scars under their mask. 

Like Jerry wrote above, after they remove your mask be sure to text role play something like what he suggested. This way you're going to be getting role play out of the removal of your mask... otherwise, how would your captors know the scars and burns even exist?

Chance    48

Last time I was taken hostage: 

Person: "Can I have your TTsKO? jacket?"

Me: "No, you can't."

Person: "Fuck you, I'm taking it anyways."

I've just accepted now, that if I'm being taken hostage or being handcuffed, I'm probably going to lose all of my gear. So, when someone takes off my mask, it really doesn't phase me. I may use the *when robber takes off mask, horrifying burn marks and torture wounds are revealed* so I can at least get some good RP out of the situation.

Defiance    96

You ought to be proud of those scars. They show the world your struggle, no?

Chow    45

I usually dont tell the robber this because i've only had one character with facial scars.

But when they take of my jacket, and my arm is revealed, then i do.

If I wanted someone's mask after they became my hostage I'm gonna take it. If I want anything else, I'll take it too.

If they have a mark or scar or something like that, I'll expect them to *use this*

Guest Doug Quade   
Guest Doug Quade

If I initiate on someone with a mask I take it off, so I can recognize them in the future for RP purposes.

When someone takes off my mask I type something like *His mask is removed revealings large white scars on his lips, dark sunken eyes, and a gaunt face covered in stubble. There is a scar in the shape of an S on his left cheek.* I am sure you can think of something similar.

Guest Doug Quade   
Guest Doug Quade

Not trying to be too cheeky, but in conjunction with another thread regarding pat down searches, I had to LOL at the though of someone trying to hide a derringer under their mask :P  Surprised someone hasn't attempted that before.

Husky    0

This ^

People cannot mind read, roleplay is a two way street :)

Phatal    50

When we 'rob' someone (when we take them for rehabilitation or other similar situations) The only thing we take off them is their weapon for obvious reasons. Even then we just empty the ammo, carry it with us and give it back to them. In the recent video from us and Amy on our media thread you can see we left him with his gun and it made for phenomenal rp. All parties in that enjoyed themselves and it made for great future rp endeavors.

Tbh, robbing people and stripping them just seems barbaric now. If they have something you want, rp it out and make a fair trade. The person wants to enjoy himself before, during, and after the robbery. Plus, the more you leave with a person, the more they're going to put into their character. A person is much more likely to stop caring or putting forth their full effort once you strip them of everything. Especially if that has been done to them before.

Guest Stolas   
Guest Stolas

^ 100% truth, glad there are some that think like this.

Voodoo    488

You gotta remember people roleplay these tough bandits, don't expect them to be phased.

What Jerry said above i fully support. Give them RP if they take off the masklet them know why its worn more than likely they will throw the mask back and tell you to cover it up, but dont expect it as many will RP the tough bandits that will do whatever they want.

Its all about give and take,you provide them with RP your more likely to get more back, and who knows maybe they will reason with you and not take your belongings

Lue    25

I traveled with Jarvis for a good while with Bubba... He told us he had no lips... Many jokes about chickens and rings of fire later, he accidentally raised his rifle at me and we took him into the woods in restraints and had a chat... When we removed his mask we remembered what he had said about his lips and we RP'd being rather grossed out by it... I dont remember, but I think we may have put it back on for him after we saw it. Needless to say, I always attempt to dig deeper into people's characters to really make it seem like they are real to me and everyone else.. The more people provide me to work with, the more im gonna conjure up.. So if you give a lot of detail through emotes or whatever, I usually try to make mental notes of these things and try to incorporate them into the RP down the road as nods to the player and their character.

I know what you mean! There are people out there that do take the time :)