Server time: 2017-11-21, 15:23

Sign in to follow this  
Duster

Stop talking shit to dead bodies that you've just killed

We've all (or at least most of us have) done it. We're in a tense situation, words are flying, tensions are high, and suddenly weapons are raised. Soon after, bullets start flying. You either survive, or you die. And then comes the shit talking, to the corpse on the ground. I don't know if it's the adrenaline of the situation, or the sudden confidence booster of having survived a firefight. But either way, does it really make sense to badmouth the person you just killed? Do you ever see that in movies, or even hear about it in real life situations? I mean sure, you might say something to yourself out loud, but talking to the corpse as if they can still hear you? No. Of course, in this game, the corpse can hear you, but that doesn't mean it makes sense in character to do it.

For example, in a recent situation, someone was killed for not complying. The people who killed him then went on to berate him in game about how he should know better, and how he was stupid, etc. etc.

This is a pet peeve of mine, so I'm probably biased, but I just don't think it makes much sense. Not only that, but almost nobody seems shaken by the fact that they just killed a person. It is the apocalypse and all, but unless you're a serial killer, killing someone should affect you. If you knew the body couldn't hear you anymore, would you really still go on and give a victory speech about how that person fucked up, or fucked with the wrong people? A few words are fine, but it's ridiculous when a person, or a whole group go on to berate the dead corpse that cannot ICly hear them.

In my opinion, it makes sense for some people's characters, but not for every single person. What do you think about this?

Well we are now 9 months into the apocalypse. So, everyone is bound to have killed someone and it is normal for them.

I don't know how I feel about people talking to the person being killed. It's different.

Depends if the person talking to the body is abit crazy i guess.

I dont see a problem with it aslong as they dont go OOC but i see where your coming from with this.

It's to prove a point. I mean I've seen it many times in movies or whatever after they kill someone they say " yeah that's what I thought" or " you had it comin bitch". Perfectly normal imo

It's something people do when they kill/watch someone die.

- Its natural.

Guest Phat J

I don't see a problem with this. I mean as long as there isn't anything said that would go OOC, like "get rekt m8" or any other type of saying such as that.

I wholeheartedly agree. It makes absolutely no sense IC and should be considered bad roleplay or treated just as bad as talking OOC via VOIP. Shit talking a corpse is a thing that belongs in FPS games like Call of the Battlefield: Supreme Tactical Hardass. It's something expected from a 12 year old who teabags you after a kill, it doesn't belong in a roleplay environment.

Sooo I have to respond to this. Anyways, I think its perfectly fine to berate a corpse laying on the ground that you just killed. I mean, it would be pretty awkward to just kill a person and just stand there like nothing happened afterwards, am I right? I mean, it gives emotion really, if you just killed a guy who didn't comply to your demands, you yell at them because they didn't listen, and your character wants to prove that you should of just complied and you would of been fine (Sometimes).

And really, it does make sense for anyone as they wanna just shit talk if they want to. Perfect sense it makes, as I argued in the above points. But, question to the OP, I mean has someone shit talked your body bad IC that you felt it was legitimately OOC? If so, I severely doubt that as insulting people has always been a big part of RP really.

[align=justify]It depends on what you're saying to the body. The reaction itself after killing someone is a different topic but when the adrenalin kicks in and after shotout you finally feel safe and victorious in the heat of the moment you can spit on the body, say something to it etc. When emotions are very strong people do things and if after killing someone the killer says to the body "Why wouldn't you listen?' or 'You stupid m*** f***", that's perfectly normal in my opinion. I can't see it how it could possibly be BadRP. I know my PC can't hear me but I scream at it sometimes. Does that make someone crazy?

You do understand that although it's obvious that when someone ragdolls it means they're dead, RP wise you wouldn't be able to know if they're dead or no. In real life, unless is a headshot, dying from a bullet wound takes time and in most cases the person ends up bleeding out or his heart stops a couple of minutes after the impact, you don't just "die."

Talking shit to dead bodies is completely normal, i mean, you just shot somebody, adrenaline is pumping and the only thing you feel is hostility towards the person, i understand you might say this because i been told it's frustrating when people shittalk you and you can't do nothing about it, but well shit happens bud.

Wanna avoid this? Hit re spawn right away!

While I agree it's really hard not to get a rush if you manage to outsmart your opponent or if you kill someone that have just threatened your life, it's a really satisfying feeling escaping death, while I really don't like people shit talking corpses I can definitely understand why someone would yell "What comes around goes around" or something along those lines. It's all about how you put it in my opinion, MLG trashtalk is a no-go.

Sooo I have to respond to this. Anyways, I think its perfectly fine to berate a corpse laying on the ground that you just killed. I mean, it would be pretty awkward to just kill a person and just stand there like nothing happened afterwards, am I right? I mean, it gives emotion really, if you just killed a guy who didn't comply to your demands, you yell at them because they didn't listen, and your character wants to prove that you should of just complied and you would of been fine (Sometimes).

^ I agree with this. I think it would be so awkward to just kill someone and go into silence with a group of people still standing around. There needs to be some role play afterwards, and if that means talking shit and saying "You should have listened", etc... then so be it! As long as you feel like it was truly IC, then that's fine... if there is doubt, however, and you think that it is OOC... I'd talk to the person who killed you in TS and settle it up. 

Talking to someone you killed can make sense, but you have to RP it out. How that killing affected you? Were you filled with anger? Frightened? Sad? Shocked? You can talk to someone you just killed, it just had to be done right.

However : "You shouldn't have tried to rob us man, you didn't need the loot, damn he really shouldn't have tried to rob us, don't do that again", no, pointless and obviously borderline OOC.

A mild bit of a segue here, but it's also important to note the difference between "dead" and "incapacitated" within an RP scenario. We all accept the limitations DayZ game mechanics can have on RP, but someone's avatar dying and someone's character dying are two very different things. It can be argued that the survivors of a firefight toy with power gaming when they explicitly "confirm" things in game such as "don't worry; he's dead" or "killed that son of bitch" without consent from the incapacitated party. A safer approach with "victory monologue-ing" I've seen in game adheres to more open-ended wording that conveys similar dramatic emphasis without treading on possible rule breaking. Things like:

• "I think he/she is down"
  • "That takes care of them"
  • "They won't be bothering us for a while"

I get some of these could be seen as corny or overly theatrical, but really, anymore so than talking to a "corpse" in the first place?

If someone gets shot and killed in front of me i usually say like 'They've been hit or their down' something like that ..i never say someones dead unless its confirmed the person is actually dead.

If someone gets shot and killed in front of me i usually say like 'They've been hit or their down' something like that ..i never say someones dead unless its confirmed the person is actually dead.

attaboy-checklist.jpg

I'm not saying you should be completely silent after killing somebody, and of course you shouldn't go OOC, but I just think it gets ridiculous when people go off on rants against the person. Saying a few things about the situation in general is fine, but as I said, rants don't really make sense, to me at least.

Depends if the person talking to the body is abit crazy i guess.

I dont see a problem with it aslong as they dont go OOC but i see where your coming from with this.

Aren't we all a bit crazy by now? 

But so the people that you would not expect this out of are ordinary citizens try to survive and very professional people. However in this sort of stressful survival situation, wouldn't you expect people to act a little wild and crazy after killing someone? Maybe they are trying to convince themselves that what they did was right and that you deserved it and that is why they are yelling at your body?

I can see a dozen reasons why someone would do this, especially with nerves stretched thin and the adrenaline from evading death.

I'm not saying you should be completely silent after killing somebody, and of course you shouldn't go OOC, but I just think it gets ridiculous when people go off on rants against the person. Saying a few things about the situation in general is fine, but as I said, rants don't really make sense, to me at least.

But, I mean it does make sense though. In character, people like getting their anger off on people and usually prove a point to others to not mess around when it comes to hostile stuff. I mean, saying things like "Yeah, I sure told you man! Get destroyed!" is pretty bland and can be considered trollish I guess but. I mean rants do make sense and I cant stress this point enough.

Ill say it again, I myself do it all the time as I want to PROVE A POINT to someone in a crowd or to my fellow friends IC to show that don't fuck around and you wont get yourself killed. Simple as.

Guest Flluroz

I see this both ways.

It's annoying to get killed, and hear somebody go " Get fucking destoryed cunt! " Or something along those lines. They know you have 30 seconds to hear any and all banter they wish to spew at you.

It is normal though, but like others said, aslong as it's not something too over the top.

And it's hilarious when someone goes " You heard me tell him not to turn around! " Or " I told you to drop your weapon! " As if they're trying to mop up a mistake they just made.

IF you've ever actually seen footage of firefights or close encounters then you would understand it's quite common to begin talking about said person.

"God damn you idiot. You should've known better, why didn't you listen." Ect.

If my character feels the need to berate a person he just killed, then so be it. I don't see a problem with this at all. I really only see the issue being with people that are salty because they just got killed.

Now, saying absurd things like "get destroyed, you cunt!" is pretty over the top. I can see why that would be annoying and I would be pretty irritated by that as well OOC. But saying things like "look what you made me do, you fucking idiot!" I don't see a problem with that.

-snip-

IMO: If someone is stupid and it gets them killed i will walk over, spit on their body, and say out loud what a dumbass. There is a difference to saying stuff like that compared to saying "Wow you suck (personal attacks ect ect ect)"

I disagree, if done right - it's good, convincing RP. Not stuff like 'Wrecked, kid.' or some iteration of trash talk. But I've said shit like "Look what you made me fuckin' do... Jesus Christ there's fucking blood everywhere!" or something similar.

Basically it's more of an external monologue than trash talk and I think that's okay.

A mild bit of a segue here, but it's also important to note the difference between "dead" and "incapacitated" within an RP scenario. We all accept the limitations DayZ game mechanics can have on RP, but someone's avatar dying and someone's character dying are two very different things. It can be argued that the survivors of a firefight toy with power gaming when they explicitly "confirm" things in game such as "don't worry; he's dead" or "killed that son of bitch" without consent from the incapacitated party. A safer approach with "victory monologue-ing" I've seen in game adheres to more open-ended wording that conveys similar dramatic emphasis without treading on possible rule breaking. Things like:

• "I think he/she is down"
  • "That takes care of them"
  • "They won't be bothering us for a while"

I get some of these could be seen as corny or overly theatrical, but really, anymore so than talking to a "corpse" in the first place?

This feels like over policing of your own RP, if you wanna do it - whatever, that's fine. But there is room for misinformation and your character to be wrong. I can THINK your character is dead because I just saw them get lit up, run into them later and RP surprise at being wrong and seeing them alive again. Just because you think somebody is dead based off what you've seen doesn't mean you're trying to permadeath them.

Misinformation is a huge factor that can make for great scenarios.

I think it's situational. I talk to human and infected corpses on my current character, though he's a bit screw-loose and is entirely aware they cannot hear him - he just does it to alleviate the anxiety of the kill, as well as hopefully making anyone else around more nervous.

It also makes sense to me following an involved firefight or long-standing disagreement. I've found myself cheering at corpses before with no one around to hear it.

The unacceptable extremes speak for themselves.