Server time: 2017-08-22, 11:18

Sign in to follow this  
Guest RayymondLmao

Tolls

Question

Guest RayymondLmao   
Guest RayymondLmao

Ayy lmao, it's Rayy Lmao. Some more questions so I can get a feel of how to fit in to the community and follow the rules and all that sweet syrupy stuff. I'm interested in exploring different play-styles, and a highwayman or bandit is one of them. Hypothetically, say that a few fellow miscreants and I decide to make a certain village or oft-traveled road a "toll area." There's several things I'm not clear on, though. I thought it would be a good idea to clear this up so everything could be practical and Rule-safe, so I've looked through theses guidelines and have tried to apply some of them. 

Is it permitted for "toll" collectors to require their captives to remove all clothing in order to search for contraband, the "toll" item that they may have lied about not having, or to look for items they are willing to trade for? Or is it inadvisable since they are only asking for a specific item? Is it acceptable to restrain them during the procedure?

If the travelers do not, in fact, possess the required "toll," their captors would be required (by personal honor) to return all of their items, and send them off in the direction in which they came from with a warning not to try to use this route until they have payment. Can the bandits attack and kill the traveler if they continue on/sneak through, given fair warning, or only in defense of themselves?

To avoid the travelers attacking right after they are cleared to move on, we would have to take certain precautions.  If we remove certain items such as weapon ammunition or melee weapons themselves, would that count towards the restriction of a player's survival ability? 

As long as they cooperate, travelers would only be held for several minutes as they are conversed with. This doesn't give much time for the RP to evolve beyond "Give us this specific item to pass/loot/use the well/etc. and you won't be hurt. What have you been up to? Why are you coming through here? That's nice, have a good day and don't try anything funny on your way out!" Should complications, information exchange, and other variables be introduced into every interaction, certain ones depending on factors such as group size, player affiliation and activities, etc, or just at random? Are there certain types of situations that are applicable to certain types of traveler? 

Tl;dr How to work a DayZ toll booth. Hope this isn't too much for a new guy to be asking.

5 answers to this question

Hollows    429

Welcome to the DayZRP Community if I haven't welcomed you here before, already.

There is a group that focuses around your idea, and you can find them here and make further inquiries if you wish. 

They would be the people you should ask about these things, as they are now an official group.

Dusty    1060

Ayy lmao, it's Rayy Lmao. Some more questions so I can get a feel of how to fit in to the community and follow the rules and all that sweet syrupy stuff. I'm interested in exploring different play-styles, and a highwayman or bandit is one of them. Hypothetically, say that a few fellow miscreants and I decide to make a certain village or oft-traveled road a "toll area." There's several things I'm not clear on, though. I thought it would be a good idea to clear this up so everything could be practical and Rule-safe, so I've looked through theses guidelines and have tried to apply some of them. 

Is it permitted for "toll" collectors to require their captives to remove all clothing in order to search for contraband, the "toll" item that they may have lied about not having, or to look for items they are willing to trade for? Or is it inadvisable since they are only asking for a specific item? Is it acceptable to restrain them during the procedure?

Forcing captives to remove all of their clothing is considered bad RP, and you can get in trouble for that. If you want to search somebody, it's best to restrain them and then search their inventory that way. Just be aware, depending on how you say it, forcing someone to pay a toll could be considered an initiation, for example: You raise your weapon and say "Give me X-item or something bad will happen to you". That would be an initiation, but you can  strong arm people without really initiating. If you are only asking for a specific item, it might be a lot of trouble to restrain someone just to search them for that specific thing.

If the travelers do not, in fact, possess the required "toll," their captors would be required (by personal honor) to return all of their items, and send them off in the direction in which they came from with a warning not to try to use this route until they have payment. Can the bandits attack and kill the traveler if they continue on/sneak through, given fair warning, or only in defense of themselves?

If you initiated on the person, and made it clear that they will be shot if they come back the same way or just flat out don't do what you tell them to do, then you can kill them for being non-compliant. If I recall correctly, this lasts for 2 hours.

To avoid the travelers attacking right after they are cleared to move on, we would have to take certain precautions.  If we remove certain items such as weapon ammunition or melee weapons themselves, would that count towards the restriction of a player's survival ability? 

Again, if I recall correctly, leaving someone with a melee weapon is good enough. Of course I may be wrong, and if I am wrong, someone please correct me. Leaving them with a gun and ammunition would be extremely dangerous to yourself and your group.

As long as they cooperate, travelers would only be held for several minutes as they are conversed with. This doesn't give much time for the RP to evolve beyond "Give us this specific item to pass/loot/use the well/etc. and you won't be hurt. What have you been up to? Why are you coming through here? That's nice, have a good day and don't try anything funny on your way out!" Should complications, information exchange, and other variables be introduced into every interaction, certain ones depending on factors such as group size, player affiliation and activities, etc, or just at random? Are there certain types of situations that are applicable to certain types of traveler? 

Just try your best to make it all as interesting and enjoyable as possible. Every RP scenario is unique, but it's fine to have a routine line of questions/dialog, just as long as you provide good RP.

Tl;dr How to work a DayZ toll booth. Hope this isn't too much for a new guy to be asking.

It's definitely not too much to ask. Don't be afraid to ask questions :) This is an interesting idea, however I'd try to pick a city or route that gets a fair amount of traffic, and with persistence coming back with the next update, probably next week, traffic will be kind of unpredictable.

TLake    23

I like the idea of creating a toll booth, just in practice people won't take kindly to it and may initiate on you for it. If you do it you should have a group of people with you and it will just be bandit rp. You should be careful about how you implement it, maybe do something like a help desk or something and ask for donations. That might be fun, just post up in Vybor or something and stand in a stall and give people directions.

You are not allowed to strip people naked.That is considered as BadRP.If you want to frisk people of their weapons or any specific item it will have to be done via emotes like: *Searches for any sort of weapons* //Do I found any ? or you can just restrain them.

You will have to state you demands clear, so that the victim does indeed understand not to come back.As example: "You have to go that way.If I see you coming back or just sneaking around this  area I will not hesitate killing you." This initiation will only last for 2 hours.

Leaving someone with no weapons is not allowed.But leaving them just with a melee weapon gives that said person a realistic chance of survival, this being allowed.

I'll say if the travelers are cooperating you don't even need to initiate on them.You can ask for the items as a tax and if they do not want to give them to you, you can initiate afterwards.Just keep in mind that you are the entertainer and you have to create a enjoyable encounter for them.Taking some items and sending them their way is considered BadRP in most of the interactions.Try to talk to the hostages and explain why you are doing this, ask them questions like why are you in this area, didn't you know about the tax etc.

I'll be marking this as /solved as you got your answer.If you have any more questions feel free to ask.

I'll leave the thread open for future discussion.

Guest RayymondLmao   
Guest RayymondLmao

Thanks for all the advice guys. Appreciate the thorough explanations.