Server time: 2017-10-19, 03:42
Safe Zone: OPEN

Sign in to follow this  
Roach

100 Slots Servers - Thoughts?

Roach    1645

Not sure for you folks, but I am not fond of the idea of having 75 or 100 slots servers. When this becomes available, it's a no brainer that the staff will go forward with this for many reasons.

First, less servers = less cost, maybe (pay per slot hosting).

That is nice and all :D But...

Here's my thought that makes this less appealing to me and I am posting to see if anyone else feels the same way.

1. Way too many people. It's the apocalypse, I should not be running into 50 people on the road in one session. It breaks immersion in the belief that we are more alone than we think. That the world is gone to shit. Not that there's a parade down every main street. I love RP as much as the next guy but I feel that the map will be clogged. 

2. Lag.. oh my freakin god will lag and desync be a huge problem. We think it's bad right now? It will only get worse in my opinion. Or at least it will be bad the first year until they decide to finally fix it. Connection issues, lag and desync will be a big game changer.

I would say at this point to always have a server at 50 slots at least and of course the higher cap server(s).

For those of us that enjoy a more realistic feeling of apocalyptic survivalism instead of a lounge party every day.

Just my 2 cents on the matter what do you guys think.

Jack Allen    18

We need two servers for people all over the world to play with each other. Sorry roach, I don't think it will happen. 75 players could be something that does happen, since we have done it before.

Guest K-Jack   
Guest K-Jack

I think it will allow not to be forced to have one hotspot anymore. Right now you can have 3/4 of the server in the same 2km are cause there just isnt enough people to fill the map. 100 player servers plus a more realistic loot system will allow people to roam around and find people anywhere. Once surviving becomes an actual thing like that broken 0.56 patch, we'll see people spread around the map. Maybe one or two hotspots, sure, but most people will be around looting and scavanging for food or setting up camps.

I cant wait for 100 man servers

Owen    14

I highly doubt they will release these until performance and CLE has been fixed. As for the numbers, you have to remember it is a 225/255km squared map, there is a lot of places to go. So maybe communities will be made due to cars and other things. I guess only time will tell.

Guest Mak   
Guest Mak

How are 100 people in a big area such as chernarus too many? Even in the apocalipse... And they announced that they've almost completely fixed the excessive de sync problem, so I just can't wait for high cap servers :)

Chow    45

The Experimental 75/100 slot servers are beeing tested.

All the performance tests are being runned on 50/75/100 slot servers.

- With little to no difference.

100 poeple in a country as big as chernarus is not alot.

- But i do agree, people tend to stay/go in/to the same areas, and you meet a lot of the same people over and over.

- People should try and discover more of chernarus, but a small ammount is doing this because the RP is found in the more populated places like the triangle.

All in all, i am Very in favour of higher populated servers.

Roach    1645

Some of ya make pretty valid points :D Like I said my only problem is too many people. It's great to see people but also have a survival feeling to it. Also the real question here is:

Why not have a 50 slot server and a 100 slot server.

Best of both worlds ;)

Chow    45

-Snip

I cant wait for 100 man servers

What about the females K-Jack? :troll:

Unknown Entity    126

Let's not forget persistence.

100 Slots + Persistence I'm fairly sure people will be working on their own little camps etc, especially with base building. In fact I think you'll most likely see less people then we do currently.

We've seen it already, people like to stay in small communities that they don't give out to just anyone. I'm sure we'll be seeing more and more of this in the future, and the few people you will see will either : not have a home, or out on runs.

Faith    730

My thoughts? O.K.

"Yay more people!"

"Yay I don't have to panic more cause more slots!"

"Oh no! More people!"

"Oh no! More possible enemies on the server!"

"RIP Laptop for lag, freeze, FPS, broadband issues. I need to win the fucking lottery."

Oliv    1879

My thoughts? O.K.

"Yay more people!"

"Yay I don't have to panic more cause more slots!"

"Oh no! More people!"

"Oh no! More possible enemies on the server!"

"RIP Laptop for lag, freeze, FPS, broadband issues. I need to win the fucking lottery."

Just start crowd source funding for a new rig :)

As long as there are little to no loss of performance, I say go for it. It would be perfectly logical for 50 people to band together, clear out, and fortify a town or small city if realism is the goal. There is safety in numbers. There is also mass murder, but still, safety?

Will bring me much happiness to have 100 player servers!

Imagine all the sick pvp :D!

*Cough* And RP ofc :D

The less the servers, the less ghosting, server hopping, and 'stash servers'.

Not to mention that it's hard to set in stone what has happened in the community's own story when a group could be doing something somewhere, while on the next server over another group is doing something entirely different.

I also see the idea that more people will cheapen the experience of running into people, but I am not so sure. People tend to run in groups, and groups usually can't all be on at the same time. With more slots, those groups would still be able to squeeze in next to the randoms. Instead of running into people constantly, you'd probably just be more likely to run into a group than a single person. Everyone gets to play together, no one has to go to another server so they have room for themselves and their friends, and have to make a decision that could lead them away from all the RP.

Silas    11

I feel that a 100 slot server is a little too busy for my liking, however, I feel I would be quite comfortable with a 75 slot server. This seems like a suitable amount of people to me, more people than currently but not an absurd amount (imo).

Pussy    377

1. Way too many people. It's the apocalypse, I should not be running into 50 people on the road in one session. It breaks immersion in the belief that we are more alone than we think. That the world is gone to shit. Not that there's a parade down every main street. I love RP as much as the next guy but I feel that the map will be clogged. 

I am inclined to mostly agree with this. There is something weird about running into so many people in the apocalypse, but a certain amount of leniency is needed for the whole "realism" aspect of role play. There's only so much that the game can allow in the way of realism.

While it would be weird to run into so many people all the time, I think it will be good for role play considering the fact that some days you can run around and not see anybody for hours.

I'm not sure how I'll feel about 100 slot servers. I guess I'll have to experience it and make up my mind then, since I'm pretty on the fence about it for the time being.

Maro    1

With more people on the server there's likely to be a more diverse and spread population with multiple settlements/hotspots, instead of more than half the server population staying at one place like it has been lately with Bash and Dolina. If it makes people spread out more I think it would make the server a lot more enjoyable, seeing as I almost never find anyone until I head inlands towards the hotspots, where the campfire RP eventually gets a bit too repetetive for my taste. Meeting people on the road and in towns you wouldn't expect is what I like most, but I almost never see groups of scavengers or survivors travelling the country any more, which is a bit disappointing.

BLACKTHRONE    0

i do not think this would be good as the loot would be gone very very fast.

But for RP it would be awesome.

DerrickStorm    34

[align=justify]If there's gonna be more players at the same time on server maybe there will be multiple hotspots. Even in apocalypse there would be towns claimed by someone that would remind us of the old times. Busy streets, lot of noise. And some larger groups wouldn't have to decide on which server they should play - one with slots or one with enemy group, etc.

Glitch    15

I'd be good with 75, often servers are down 10 or 20 players so if it does fill up to 50 there is still another 25 slots to be filled. But 100 feels like it will be too many extra players space. It may not even fill up all the way and if it does no one will be on for example the EU server if most of the players are on the US. There is also the fact if someone from the UK wants to play with players and they are all on the US server they may have connection issues and high ping. So 75 I think would keep it at a good amount that balances the servers out, adds to the amount of people in the apocalypse and gives some extra space for those who sit at the menu waiting for a server to open.

Jabba    0

As long as the server could deal with that many people then I am down with it....

I suppose I could see a 75 person server, but I tell you what - I don't want to be in a major city when 2/3 of the server shows up there for a firefight and the desync madness begins.

Rolle    2938

I don't think 100 players is too much. To be honest, I don't think it's enough. The Chernarus is around 225km2, that is huge. By comparison Planetside 2 can have around 1000 players on one server, and their map is only 64km2. I know, that's a FPS shooter, but still :P

I will upgrade the slots on the servers as soon as available, perhaps then we can get rid of S3.

Samaritan    344

100 slot server makes sense and I think you wouldn't be bumping into lots of people unless you go to places that are going to popular as I think the map can handle it.

My suggestion is before they start with 75/100 slot servers actually sort the game out. It need to be optimized much better and actually contain zombies that aren't broken.

i do not think this would be good as the loot would be gone very very fast.

But for RP it would be awesome.

Well by then (I think) we'll have persistence that'll pretty much make loot hard to find anyways.

Oh god, imagine a 100 player server with persistence?  Rip loot, back to apple picking RP.

Then again, with persistence on a 100 player server it might encourage players to actually move around the map more instead of tending to stay in one area for loot. Though 100 pushes it a little, maybe 75 is better.

Personally,  I'd want to just keep it at 50 slots and leave it at that.

WarMachine    11

I don't think 100 players is too much. To be honest, I don't think it's enough. The Chernarus is around 225km2, that is huge. By comparison Planetside 2 can have around 1000 players on one server, and their map is only 64km2. I know, that's a FPS shooter, but still :P

I will upgrade the slots on the servers as soon as available, perhaps then we can get rid of S3.

+1 To this Rolando Batista. This game needs more players slots, I hate losing it!