Server time: 2017-10-22, 23:04
Safe Zone: CLOSING SOON

Sign in to follow this  
Rolle

New rule: Impersonation

Rolle    2970

Thanks to this thread and some pushes from staff members we now have a new in game rule.

You can find the new rule - as always - on the rules page

So, it is forbidden to impersonate an individual or a group and do stupid shit that later may cause them to have bad name or reputation. Like robbing people and saying you are group X or running around giving a fake name of an existing player and acting like a retard.

But, you would still be allowed to for example impersonate a member of a group to infiltrate them, as long as you don't cause mayhem that may have repercussions for them later.

Questions, suggestions? Ask away.

Hatch    0

Straight to the point, like it. :thumbsup:

Question: If someone does impersonate a group what does the rule break come under? BadRP? Or would I for example in a report, just title it "Impersonation"

Glenn    10

Pff finally!

It is so annoying to have people acting up like other groups to get respect or be feared.

Moxy    19

Well there goes my plans to start mass murdering under the guise of El Presidente. #Rolle2Fast

In all honesty though, this very clear-cut rule. No real room for ambiguity. I like it.

So, it is forbidden to impersonate an individual or a group and do stupid shit that later may cause them to have bad name or reputation. Like robbing people and saying you are group X or running around giving a fake name of an existing player and acting like a retard.

Would maybe change the wording here, but thats it.

Rolle    2970

Question: If someone does impersonate a group what does the rule break come under? BadRP? Or would I for example in a report, just title it "Impersonation"

I think Impersonation would be the best bet, then GMs know what they're dealing with. In the end though the verdict would involve badRP, as most things that are under the Role Playing rule on the rules page.

Guest DooD YC   
Guest DooD YC

Nice change I like it

Samaritan    348

This was an issue in the mod. People walking around saying that they were a member of The Fangs then robbing people. I kind of liked the idea of then hunting them down, dealing with them and then trying to rebuild or rep. However if it is causing major issues then it is a good rule to have enforced as it'll will dissuade people from trying to do it.

Would you still be allowed to spread rumours about an opposing group without impersonating them? (not saying I'd do that but as a general question).

Rolle    2970

Would you still be allowed to spread rumours about an opposing group without impersonating them?

Yes, that is still allowed when done IC.

Hatch    0

I think Impersonation would be the best bet, then GMs know what they're dealing with. In the end though the verdict would involve badRP, as most things that are under the Role Playing rule on the rules page.

Okay thanks for the reply :)

One last question though, would the punishment for impersonation increase if the outcome of the action has greater effects?

For example, if it lead to someone being unlawfully KOS'd would the accused get punished for the KOS as well? And say if it had a worse outcome would punishment increase?

Roach    1659

Yes!! Thank you :D Great change.

Long live El Prrresidente!

Frozen    45

I know right?

Rolle you've changed :)

Se7en    0

Meh, kinda is suppressing creativity of roleplay. I can see why it is needed howeever.

Glad this rule has finally been put in place :)

Chow    45

Let's hope the poeple who RP under fake names do it good, and by the book!

Rolle    2970

One last question though, would the punishment for impersonation increase if the outcome of the action has greater effects?

For example, if it lead to someone being unlawfully KOS'd would the accused get punished for the KOS as well? And say if it had a worse outcome would punishment increase?

That's probably gonna be decided by admins and GMs once we see reports coming in. It's difficult to determine that now, without context.

My hunch is, if your actions while impersonating someone else directly cause that someone else to get killed because of revenge rights for example, then yes - I would push for a KoS. But don't quote me on that ;)

Spartan    1240

This was a major issue with the UN. People robbed other people and said that they were the UN. Glad to see this rule got added.

Buddy    1068

Fantastic! Very pleased to see this implemented. One would think it common sense to NOT do something like this; however.. common sense is extremely uncommon :(

Good change!

Jewell    15

I always thought its was one of those unwritten rules. Makes sense really.

Methias    119

Im glad this is now in.. I personally have had to deal with people impersonating my chars and it was hell getting in touch with people putting right the wrongs they caused..

Yep, I like the way this sounds.

Especially the infiltration bit. I see a lot of exciting RP that could come from this. 10/10

Mitch    0

Can't say I really agree with the rule, impersonations do happen in real life, though a lot easier to detect for obvious reasons. I do like to see people definitely try to impersonate groups, or even individual people proceeding the roleplay leading up to the event was proper and everything was acquired in character, nonetheless I guess the rule is for the best.

Zilly    76

While I am glad that this rule is in place, I figure that it might also make certain types of RP impossible.

Oh well! Its probably better this way.

Chris    63

Can't say I really agree with the rule, impersonations do happen in real life, though a lot easier to detect for obvious reasons. I do like to see people definitely try to impersonate groups, or even individual people proceeding the roleplay leading up to the event was proper and everything was acquired in character, nonetheless I guess the rule is for the best.

Definitely one of those rules that is of the 'because its a game and we must make allowances' variety.

I think the realism sacrifice is worth the cost though, in the interest of fair play.