Server time: 2017-10-19, 07:18
Safe Zone: CLOSED

Sign in to follow this  
Wrecker

Is it abuse

Question

Wrecker    1

Some friends and I have come to a stalemate on a question, so I am going to get a professional (I hope, anyways) Opinion on this. Is it abuse of game mechanics if the only reason you spot somebody is because grass doesn't render when you look like 300 meters out? More over, is it abuse if you turn down grass in your video settings to better see people?

12 answers to this question

Hollows    450

Yes. Because you can't turn down your settings IRL, you can't or shouldn't be able to in DayZ, where you are RPing Humans, and not robots or anything of the sort. Do what you can IRL. If you see someone and grass doesn't render in, the grass exists, and you should probably RP like that.

Autumn    127

While in the game it is to prevent preformance drops and allow the game to run relatively smoothly despite it's current state. Ideally, if you see someone prone, hiding in where grass could be. You shouldn't immediately announce "Who is that? Huh?" Just seems a bit odd. Now if spotted through a pair of binoculars or a scope... Different story entirely.

But no, not abuse of game mechanics, just not realistic roleplay.

Nope, its a game mechanic.

Wrecker    1

Ok, I've been ID'd while in a full ghille proned from 400 meters by a person several times before, and I know how annoying it is so I try not to do it. Thank you for settling the argument we've had, this can get closed.

Mental    0

Yes. Because you can't turn down your settings IRL, you can't or shouldn't be able to in DayZ, where you are RPing Humans, and not robots or anything of the sort. Do what you can IRL. If you see someone and grass doesn't render in, the grass exists, and you should probably RP like that.

This is a game. yes, our main focus is RP but if someone has to turn down settings to run the game properly then yeah.

Just because we are here to RP a realistic situation does not mean that we have to treat the game like real life. The game itself is buggy as hell and unfinished. We dont just break our legs randomly while in 2 story buildings here in the real world do we? :D

No, I dont believe it is AOGM.

To avoid a situation like you describe, I would suggest finding a better hiding place. People work on different settings and you cannot guarantee someone will not see you in the grass. It is unfortunate, but it happens.

Since you say your question has been answered, I will mark it as solved.

To classify this as ABOGM is overkill.

Everybody having the same weapon handling would be ABOGM. Dexterity and running speed would be ABOGM.

There is a compromise and middle ground between what is abuse of a mechanic and what is simply the mechanics of DayZ.

Overpolicing and adding more restrictions might sound like it will increase RP but at the same time we still need to be able to play the game. (without having to second guess our every action)

Is running diagonal on an incline abuse of game mechanics? Is assuming we can all drive competently abuse of game mechanics? Etc.

The engine actually has something to counter this lack of grass rendering at long distance. The further someone looks at you from a distance, the more your player model sinks into the ground. This is an actual feature of the engine and not a bug or graphic glitch. So if you lay prone in a ghilies, from over a decent distance you should be sunk into the ground enough that you're actually invisible, especially since you can't have a backpack. So if they see you, you're not hiding well enough.

The game actually has a feature in the simulate the grass that doesn't render. Over distances, targets are sunken further into the ground to simulate that grass.

If you see them, they aren't hiding well enough, so the lack of rendered grass isn't an excuse.

EDIT: Gavin beat me to it.

Is running diagonal on an incline abuse of game mechanics? 

Believe it or not, that does help in real life. Hurts after a while, though.

TEazy97    8

It's part of the game, if you have a shit pc and need to turn down settings to play than go ahead.

Chow    45

If you see a guy, in the field, he is 300 meters away, and the only reason you can infact see him is because your computer cannot render the grass on that distance. Just leave him alone.

But if he is in the grass in a Bright red Tracksuit, it will not be a problem. You see bright red things in grass at that kind of distances.

But if you see a guy laying in the field, use your scope or binos to get the better veiw, you should also consider to go up hill or downhill from him, depending on the place and time to get a better and more realistic chances of seeing him before you go up/down to him.