Server time: 2017-10-23, 22:44
Safe Zone: OPEN

Sign in to follow this  
Artyom Vangelis

Operating system

Question

6 answers to this question

Janana    28

If I were to  build a pc, would i need to buy windows? Would it be cheap?

If you buy a frame, or a starting kit from a website like Cybertron and then upgrade it from there, you have the choice to include an OS like Windows 7, 8, or pre-order 10. When you buil a computer from scratch, you're generally looking at a price roughly around $400 if you're building something that can game at a decent level.

If you start from scratch and start buying separate parts, you will need to buy an OS to operate the computer with. If you buy Windows 7 it is $90 at the moment. You can choose Windows 8 which is $104 but it's a bit of a controversy whether or not the OS is actually worth buying. It kind of sucks.

Windows 10 is $120 at the moment and you can only pre-order it. You don't need to buy it at all if you have a windows OS already. Just reserve a copy.

TEazy97    8

Although I use windows 8, it takes time to get used to the console-ish layout. I would recommend getting windows 7 as that is the best imo. And then you can wait for windows 10 which should be good after drivers are updated to function optimally for windows 10.

AndreyQ    0

For my experience with Windows 7 and 8 I will have to choose 7.It is the cheapest and it works even better then 8 in my opinion.Do you have any other questions ?

From what I have experienced and seen the best OS I used was Windows 7. And Windows 7 is cheaper and just easier to use and better then Windows 8, it also depends do you prefer the more like console layout of Windows 8.

Whip    0

Hi Artyom,

As Tosh has stated in great detail, you can purchase starting kits that contain the OS of your choice, But if you choose to purchase an OS and install it yourself, Expect to pay anywhere from 70-120 dollars depending on the OS you choose. Building A PC from scratch can be pricey but it will be tailored to your specific needs, And choosing an OS to fit those needs is key also!

I recommend Windows 7 as its more gamer friendly in my eyes and then you can upgrade to Windows 10 upon its release.

With this being said im going to mark this as solved! Please feel free to post any other questions you may have or come the helpdesk anytime!

-Whip

/solved

Unknown Entity    126

Just to add a little info for the OP :

Watch out if you decide to get Windows 7, we are going on Windows 10 (so, 2 versions above) and soon, windows 7 may not receive any more security hot fixes (although we don't have exact dates, it's still a factor to take into account whilst buying an operating system).