Server time: 2017-10-19, 18:22
Safe Zone: CLOSED

Sign in to follow this  
Anubian

Tents in secret locations (rocks, buildings, water)

FREEDOM FOR TENT PLACEMENT!  

70 members have voted

1. 1. FREEDOM FOR TENT PLACEMENT!

• Yes, I do not have a limitied imagination.
    • No.

Anubian    1

Recently Rolle has changed the rules so now placing tents in rocks, buildings and water is now classified as exploiting.

I would like some valid criticism on why.

This is supposed to be a role-playing server, there are valid RP and ingame reasons why this should be allowed. Use your imagination or common sense when these things are hidden.

Such as:

Hiding a tent inside a rock is the same as lifting up a rock and placing your items underneath to be secretive.

Hiding a tent in water is the same as wrapping your items up in water resistant material and hiding it in a lake.

Hiding a tent in the building is the same as tearing up the floor boards and hiding your weapons underneath.

I fail to see why doing the above things is exploiting the game. Tents are big and cumbersome whereas in real life they can be small and versatile we LITERALLY have no choice when storing our guns and items.

Rolles suggestion is purely hiding your tents in forests or out in the open. I would say this leads to lots and lots of more exploition.

For example you can change your settings to give trees less detail and more detail. You will never know how well hidden your tents are because everyone uses different settings.

Restarts move tents placed on hills and can push them inside trees making them inaccessible.

When you put a tent in a tree HOW IS THIS DIFFERENT FROM IN A ROCK, More than 90% of tents I find in a forest have a tree stump INSIDE the tent. Inside of it. If Rolle classifies it being in a building an exploit what is having a tree growing out of your tent count as.

Helicopters also screw up hiding locations. It can be called an exploit as well on Rolles terms. They fly over and trees mysteriously grow smaller, they mysteriously show whats under them to all flying past.

By Rolles definition you may now only place tents in an open area not touching any object and unbelievably easy to find.

Finally, I have found myself in the last week 7 tents placed in buildings and rocks. They are incredibly easy to find as you can usually see strings sticking out of the buildings or rocks revealing the tent. There is no excuse saying that they are impossible to find.

TL;DR

Stop limiting our imagination of the game.

This server was designed for more freedom not limitations.

Roleplaying reasons allow tents placed in these locations.

Anything can be classified an exploit. Go and ban helicopters.

Allow us to place tents where we want.

Edit:

This should be a community vote. Everyone has different opinions. It shouldn't be up to a select few to choose what they think/want the game to play as, this is supposed to be an open community.

Livs    0

The thing is, some of these locations are impossible to loot when you finally find the tent.

If you stumble over a tent that is 90% inside a rock, you're very lucky, but you need to be incredibly lucky to find a tent that you can loot as well.

Though, there are ways to loot these tents, but that requires a long long time to figure out the right position to find the "Gear" option.

It's not fair if the person that finds a tent has to spent an hour simply to loot it.

Guest Wookiebookie   
Guest Wookiebookie

The thing is, some of these locations are impossible to loot when you finally find the tent.

If you stumble over a tent that is 90% inside a rock, you're very lucky, but you need to be incredibly lucky to find a tent that you can loot as well.

Though, there are ways to loot these tents, but that requires a long long time to figure out the right position to find the "Gear" option.

It's not fair if the person that finds a tent has to spent an hour simply to loot it.

Why is that not fair? What part of that makes it unfair?

Anubian    1

How is that different from trees, I give you coordinates right now to 6 tents I have found inside trees that took me 5 minutes or longer to access because the gear option was incredibly hard to find and sometimes impossible. Like I said in the post I have also found very well hidden tents in buildings but haven't had trouble like you have stated.

That person who placed the tent also probably spent an incredible amount of time getting it perfect. Probably using up to 5 tents which are very valuable and rare, if they manage to get it in the building like that then the roleplaying reason is. They simply hid their thing incredibly well or locked it and you have to find the right lock to pick to access it.

Tosme    0

Why is that not fair? What part of that makes it unfair?

It's like putting some sort of combination lock on your tent that you have to crack just to get whatever's inside.

It's a tent, not a lockbox.

Use your imagination and find a hidingplace where people wont look instead of placing it inside rocks, buildings, or submerge them.

Guest Wookiebookie   
Guest Wookiebookie

Use your imagination and find a hidingplace where people wont look instead of placing it inside rocks, buildings, or submerge them.

That is sadly not possible.

Tosme    0

That is sadly not possible.

It is.

Guest Wookiebookie   
Guest Wookiebookie

you can sweep almost the entire map with a heli in ~1 hour

Anubian    1

Our imagination with these new rules. Explain to me how much imagination can be put into these three options.

Place inside a tree on flat ground.

Place on flat ground in a forest.

Place on flat ground in the open.

Anything else is not allowed. Nice imagination.

Anubian    1

I am now going to make a video called Anubians Tent Hunt. Lets see which points are more valid.

Tomeran    3

This.

I dislike tent thieves as much as the next person, but the examples listed in the thread are also clear examples of things you usually have great trouble accessing, DESPITE having the fortune to find them. So they're like lockboxes without combinations except to the original owner that set them up, as they're usually aware of some hyper-weird angle to access them(otherwise it would just be stupid).

Same should also apply to trees tbh, as its the same concept.

All this being said, I think there are way too many tent thieves around. People should have the common courtesy to find their own damned loot!(more rewarding as well)

But I dont think allowing this is the right solution. Its using the glitches of the arma engine in a way that's just wrong, and the rp excuses do not hold up tbh because tents are..well..tents.

Rolle    2945

I see your point Anubian, however you must realize that tents are not waterproof bags, lockboxes or stashes behind a wall. If in the future we have other storage deployables that you actually can throw into a lake or put under a rock I'm sure it will be allowed. But right now, tents is all we have and this rule is about treating tents for what they are. Obviously, the ArmA2 colision detection is not that good and tents get get stuck in various odd locations, but then it's just a matter of repositioning them.

Anubian    1

I see your point Anubian, however you must realize that tents are not waterproof bags, lockboxes or stashes behind a wall. If in the future we have other storage deployables that you actually can throw into a lake or put under a rock I'm sure it will be allowed. But right now, tents is all we have and this rule is about treating tents for what they are. Obviously, the ArmA2 colision detection is not that good and tents get get stuck in various odd locations, but then it's just a matter of repositioning them.

I also understand Rolle why you see this as exploiting but its such a broad and yet limited topic that I think its a matter for the community to decide. Can you at least think about allowing it if there is a high majority who stick to the same view as me?

The way I see it until these new features you are talking about are introduced and functioning we should be able to use tents as an all purpose tool. When they are introduced these new rules you have made can go in effect for all tents not of that genre such as a water tent.

Gino just passed out 3 times, broke his legs and almost bled out trying to access a tent in a forest. The way you want it Rolle just isn't practical in effect.

Guest WaltteriH   
Guest WaltteriH

Just look at the poll. I don't like this.

Stupid idea.

Tomeran    3

Gino just passed out 3 times, broke his legs and almost bled out trying to access a tent in a forest. The way you want it Rolle just isn't practical in effect.

Isnt this statement sort of contradictional to your point?

Anubian    1

No. Our only option is place tents in trees and forests now according to the new rules. This option is very impractical and leads to possible death when trying to acesss a tent. Tents placed in trees are more of lock-boxes than those in buildings from what I have seen. I am proving that the only part of our imagination left is so buggy and dangerous that its stupid.

Tomeran    3

No. Our only option is place tents in trees and forests now according to the new rules. This option is very impractical and leads to possible death when trying to acesss a tent. Tents placed in trees are more of lock-boxes than those in buildings from what I have seen. I am proving that the only part of our imagination left is so buggy and dangerous that its stupid.

You're assuming that your ONLY option is to use glitches in the arma2 engine to hide stuff.

I admit hiding tents properly is difficult, I have the exact same problem trying to keep resources safe for the invasion event. But its possible, just very difficult.

Personally I'd want to see this rule account for trees as well as its pretty much the same principle.(its not possible to place a tent inside a tree irl etc.)

The part I find a contradiction to your statement is that your friend suffered glitches and got hurt while trying to access a tent used by a glitch, and you want to allow glitches to hide stuff, while many others cannot access it. Its just not a matter of visiblity, its a matter of accessability.

And as Rolle put it, a tent is a tent.

In the end, its just gear. Its not the end of the world if someone finds the camp. Annoying maybe, but neccecery to use glitches for?

Anubian    1

The part I find a contradiction to your statement is that your friend suffered glitches and got hurt while trying to access a tent used by a glitch, and you want to allow glitches to hide stuff, while many others cannot access it. Its just not a matter of visiblity, its a matter of accessability.

In the end, its just gear. Its not the end of the world if someone finds the camp. Annoying maybe, but neccecery to use glitches for?

My point is I have never seen a tent placed inside a building or a rock that is difficult to access and kills you. And this is not exploiting a glitch just opening a genre of role-play.

In the end, it is NOT just gear. Some of the back-stories I have made for my characters revolve around certain items. Items he cannot live without. In a Zombie Apocalypse that would mean life or death..

This is why it should be a community vote. Everyone has different opinions. It shouldn't be up to a select few to choose what they think/want the game to play as when this is supposed to be an open community.

Lord Fusk    2

Tents may only be placed in the open from now on then?

Or are trees an allowed exploit?

MacMerritt    0

Rolle maybe you should look into the Lockboxes from DayZ Origins or Epoch. Obviously people want a way to store their items. I agree that the rocks and such are glitches bordering on being an exploit. Sadly thought the DayZ and Arma engine and mod have limited ability to store, stash, or hide gear aside from the tent, vehicles, or on your person.

I agree with the original post stating for RP purposes these tents represent a hidey holes, floorboard, etc. where you stash food, supplies, and guns. As survivors we would all be forced to scrounge and hunt for these hidden caches, I personally use a method that has been very successful and was just preparing to put it to use on this server. I will hold off on deploying tents until this matter is settled but I think you need to listen to your community on this one and rescend the rule.

TrilbyAsh    6

Alright. My one point: What'll happen to the Cherno Church? Isn't that place full of tents, with something like a TOR feel to it?

Sin    127

RIP in peace kakan's tent place

This is the opinion I've been waiting for. I think Kakan is the widely recognized master of tent placement, though there are several competitors with lower profiles.

Getting into tents is not difficult. Go into first person view and focus your crosshairs on one of the three corners. If you can't get into it that way, it's probably inaccessible, period. I've found a few tents of this type, and while I don't have admin map access, I'm pretty sure they're empty. Sometimes I'll find two tents next to one another, one bugged, the other accessible; I make a point to check a few days later, and the bugged one will be gone, while the accessible one is still there. Why? Obviously, the player who placed it goofed on the first try and couldn't access the tent either.

Good tent placement is a skill that you learn; I don't know if it's fair to call it an advanced topic, but it's something that people clearly have to learn from a friend or by trial and error (losing many tents in the process). It's one of the few perks that players can enjoy as a reward for long-time participation in the game.

It is ridiculous to say, "Just try to put your tents where no one will look for them." Some people spend their whole day searching for tents. I've done it myself. Yes, it's boring, but it's worth it if you score big.

People want better places to hide their stuff. There have been a number of requests and polls on this subject before, but no change. In S.T.A.L.K.E.R. there are cache spots dotting the map for the player to use, it's not unrealistic to expect people to find ways to hide stuff. I'll agree that tents underwater are a bit of an exploit, but why not put tents in buildings? Hell, you can't even enter 3/4 of the buildings in the game; how realistic is that? All along, I've considered tents more of a 'big canvas bag' than a tent. I mean, really; unless your tent is packed full, you should be able to wrap a few guns in it and stuff it under a rock or dig a hole for it.

To require that tents can only be placed in such a way that they're not intersecting with any other entity in game is to stifle creativity.