Server time: 2017-08-21, 12:18

Sign in to follow this  
Tomeran

Tomeran's list of "stuff we should have less of"

Tomeran    3

In the "increase certain rare items spawn"-thread ( http://www.dayzrp.com/t-increasing-certain-rare-items-spawn ) my suggestions were mostly met with positive feedback. But I also said there were a load of things I'd want to see REDUCED in quantity. I also said I'd make a separate thread for that. Here it is.

Some of this I've been pushing for before. This thread is meant as a SUMMARY of things that I generally want to see less of on the server. Hopefully people will be inclined to agree.

Tomeran's glorious list of things we need less of

Western weapons

Okay, this one's been argued for repeatadly, and the dayzrp mod already drasticly decreased western weapon spawns. Hats of to them. Yet I KEEP seeing western weapons no matter where I go, no matter where I turn. Silenced M4s, M4A3s, all assortments of sniper rifles and british-made weaponry etc etc etc. My conclusion? The previous reduction helped, but the western-style weapons are still all over the place, they are STILL the standard weapons for many people.

Ammo

Yes, ammo in general. Not really any specific ammo, just...ammo. This is a post-apocalyptic world where we fire like what, 10000 bullets a day? Yet noone's making new bullets. What I would like to see here is consecutive steps where ammo is made gradually more and more rare in the dayzrp world. Eventually reaching 2017 mod levels.

Medicine

So okay, another kind of loot that has already been reduced by the dayzrp mod. But again I argue that it wasnt quite enough. Bloodbags are now the only medicinal commodity that there's anything even remotely resembling a demand for. Yet even bags arent that hard to find, and there's a MASSIVE excess of just about all other medicinal goods. This in PARTICULAR applies to antibiotics, which imo should be worth their weight in gold.

I'd suggest a reduction of medicinal goods by at least half, and then follow the steps of ammo, making them gradually more and more rare. Noone's making new medicine either.

Food and drinks

I've argued for this before, and here I go again. I dont know if there ever was an actual reduction in food and drink spawns with the introduction of the dayzrp mod, but I didnt really notice it. Because it is still way too easy to find food and drinks. This does not apply to any particular building, not just the supermarket or just the apartment buildings or what else, it applies to all buildings in general. The need to have to eat and drink are the core survival functions of dayzrp, and yet it is such a breeze to handle with the current amount of loot just lying around, that survival is not a challenge.

I'd like to suggest food and drinks follows the path of ammo and medicine, and are gradually made more and more rare until it becomes worth its weight in gold. Noone's delivaring fresh food or drinks to the cities so it would just be reasonable to assume that they'd grow increasingly rare.

This would also apply to animals, since the extensive hunting going on should significantly reduce their numbers.(again, over time)

Good times are over

All of these suggestions have the common trait of making things gradually worse over time. Looting the remnants of human civilisation is only gonna get us so far. I'd love to see the human community of dayzrp eventually becoming so desperate for essential supplies that the conflicts and trades would be more centered around it. Today we have trade values around SUVs and M4A3s. Lets have the trade value around ammo, food'n'drinks in a couple of months. Because that's how it should be in a real survivor simulator.

Tortov    0

+1 Eastern weapon packs need in.

Little less ammo wouldn't do any harm...

Sky    1

Weapon Packs:

Agree. I'd be fine with NATO weapons being rare as hell, but only if there were more Russian weapons introduced. For me, its all about variety. As long as there's a fair selection of decent weapons to chose from then I'm happy.

Ammo:

Also agree. AK and STANAG in particular are so easily found, I'd happily see their drop rates reduced by a fair amount.

Medicine:

Agree. Blood bag drop rates are better now, but the rest of it is still extremely common.

Food:

Agree, but I'd also like to see the restoration effect of food and water last longer. The fact that I have to eat and drink every hour or so seems silly to me. I'd be happy if food became much, much rarer, but I shouldn't have to consume it as often either.

Rolle    2454

Rel is working on new loot tables, stuff should be more rare. Prepare for finding tons of tincans :P

Mavasaur    0

Great, now they're trying to take my guns in real life and in game. Fight the power!

Diremast    0

I agree with this. I don't really care THAT much about the weapons, but the ammo should be so scarse that is should almost be more valuable than the rifle itself. Same goes with food. The trading is really one sided in DayZ since food and drinks are so easy to find. I would like to see more trading going on from military clans (they offer weapons and ammo) to "regular" people for food and such since they might spend more time in military areas of the map and don't wanna waste running all the way from NWAF to cherno just to get some food and drinks. I think this will give another solution that just fighting your way in if a major clan would hold for example NWAF. As it is now people can find food and such so easy so they don't need to trade for it (if you are a big clan).

I would not mind having more vehicles as well but just making it that it's a bitch to find fuel. That way you would have to be tactical if you should dive or just walk. I see this opening up more interactions from clans as it will be harder for them to just depend on themselves in all situations.

I agree with all of this except the food. Even when I used to do wilderness survival camping in RL I sure as Hell didn't need to eat a full can of beans every hour. Even not exerting myself in game I'm drinking 400ml and eating a steak several times a day. I know the drops being so high is unrealistic but so is the volume of food survivors go through in a day.

Tomeran    3

I agree with all of this except the food. Even when I used to do wilderness survival camping in RL I sure as Hell didn't need to eat a full can of beans every hour. Even not exerting myself in game I'm drinking 400ml and eating a steak several times a day. I know the drops being so high is unrealistic but so is the volume of food survivors go through in a day.

You(and sky) have a point there. Like Sky suggested, extending the drink and eat timer should help solve that issue. But if that's done, I'll also argue for food and drinks to become MUCH more rare.

Pavel    0

agreed word for word, tomeran. with the exception of wildlife maybe, as the hunting mechanic is the only thing keeping people actually working for their food.

decrease amount of raw meat spawned per kill? or chance of animal not spawning meat (RP infected animal maybe..)

maybe chance for fire to 'fail' somehow? (RP rotting / wet wood)

apologies for straying off topic a bit.

Gullio1    0

I wonder how hard it would be to add animal AI. Maybe predators too, if possible. But yeah, I should not need to drink a bottle of water every 15 minutes.

Sky    1

I wonder how hard it would be to add animal AI. Maybe predators too, if possible. But yeah, I should not need to drink a bottle of water every 15 minutes.

Inb4 zombies dogs owning the shit out of everyone.

Rel    0

Patience is a virtue. You will see what happens in the next update.

I hope you guys don't feel like we aren't listening to you, it's just that we haven't released the mod yet, hence why you still want to see the same changes made.

Tomeran    3

Patience is a virtue. You will see what happens in the next update.

I hope you guys don't feel like we aren't listening to you, it's just that we haven't released the mod yet, hence why you still want to see the same changes made.

I usually feel like you're listening, its just that I dont know what you're listening to. :P

I havent gotten much solid information on which of my suggestions are actually being considered by the dev team. The only one thing I did hear about was that you considered fixing the "abundance of AKs and ak mags in the barracks"-issue.

So that's why I keep suggesting. But if all of this is already pretty much being considered, then I'll make a mental note and eagerly await the next dayzrp update.

This all seems retarded to me. Ive played on servers like what are being suggested. As far as i could tell, they arent fun. Thats my opinion.

This all seems retarded to me. Ive played on servers like what are being suggested. As far as i could tell, they arent fun. Thats my opinion.

Let me rephrase this. Tomerans suggestions arent retarded. The changes actually are. Once youve seen and them in action you may not want it like this.

MacMerritt    0

I agree with a step by step decrease in the talked about loot. Over time all of the food, ammo, and even weapons will have been claimed, consumed, or broken.

My only caviat to this is the simple fact that more types of food need to be added as well. For instance the MRE, the US and Soviet(Russian now) militaries stockpiled mountains of these in anticipation of extended conflict or nuclear fallout in order to feed thier military and if need be thier populace.

The Soviets also produced some of the most robust and sturdy weapons in the world so therefore they would last far longer into an apocolypse than the touchy and fragile M16s or M4s. Both militaries also kept mountains of ammo in hidden caches all over the place so it is concievable to find ammo for a few years but maybe not in the quantity currently seen in game. Perhaps reduce the number of possible clips per rifle to a max of 3 but 1 being the most common and the possibilty of no ammo with a freshly spawned weapon.

Although humans would heavily hunt the wildlife we dont realize that the animal world's population would increase in proportion to the size of our population decreasing. We might hunt more heavily but with 1/100th of the mouths to feed animals would become quite common even in the cities and towns. Additionally it is not currently possible with the current game mechanics but it wouldnt be unheard of for survivors to keep small herds of cattle, pigs, chickens, etc in order to provide food to the remaining populace. Along those some lines of thought farming would provide food, but since we dont have that mechanic Id say reducing the food by half would be a good idea but not totally eliminating it. Think of the canned food you find as corn, carrots, etc and not grocery store food.

Guest WaltteriH   
Guest WaltteriH

AK damage is too low compared to M damage. AK while being less accurate or fast firing than the M- series, it fires wider bullet which basically makes more tissue and blood damage.

M = accurate, fast fire rate, lower damage, fragile.

AK = less accurate, slower fire rate, way higher damage, sturdy.

Tortov    0

AK damage is too low compared to M damage. AK while being less accurate or fast firing than the M- series, it fires wider bullet which basically makes more tissue and blood damage.

AKM does more damage than STANAG weapons though...

Rel    0

As Tortov said, AKMs or any other Eastern 7.62×39mm does much more damage than the 5.56×45mm rounds the M16, M4, G36, L85, and other use.

The NATO weapons are much more accurate than many Eastern weapons, especially the AK series. They are also much lighter and much more reliable (assuming we aren't talking about the shitty original M16).

AK's are extremely easy to shoot and are very reliable, but have a lot of recoil compared to these NATO weapons. I've heard that you could shoot much farther with an AK without a scope compared to an M16 without a scope (but this may just be the older original M16).

5.56's also have much more penetrating power at longer distances, but not necessarily at short distances. Comparing the two rounds are kind of pointless anyway, since they were made with two different uses/purposes in mind. 5.56 were accurate, lightweight, and had a straighter flight-path/range than the 7.62. The 7.62 has a lot of stopping power, and as long as you get one/two shots on target, it really doesn't matter.

I would make the argument with the standard AK-74's, but they use a smaller round (a 5.45). They aren't still as accurate as many NATO weapons but they are much more controllable and still easier to use. The ammo has more penetrating power and the recoil isn't as bad.

Bottom line is that all weapon damage is based on the bullet they use. There is only one weapon (the Lee Enfield) that had it's damage reduced from it's bullet size. It shoots a .303 and it was so powerful that the original dayz developers had to nerf it.

MacMerritt    0

Correct Rel, the older rounds used during WWI and II and shortly thereafter such as the 7.62mmX39mm were designed to kill, pure and simple.

The latter rounds such as 5.56mm were designed to wound not kill. The idea that NATO put forth was that it takes more resources to deal with a wounded soldier than a dead one as he takes medical supplies, additional transport, continued food consumption, and medical staff to care for him till he is healed if ever. Dead men only need a small amount of resources to deal with, mostly recovery and transport back to the nation of origin for burial.

The Soviets copied this military ideal with a slight twist, the 5.45 round makes a grevious wound due to the round "yawing" upon impact. This way it cripples its victim thus reducing the chance of that soldier returning to combat in any foreseeable timeframe.

In short:

AKM/S and Sa weapons = killers

Stanag weapons = accurate weapons with decent damage output.

AK (74s & 107s) = accurate weapon with lower damage but lowest recoil of assault rifles in game.