Server time: 2017-10-20, 16:15
Safe Zone: OPEN

Sign in to follow this  
Rifleman

Impersonation - A Pressing Issue

Should an extra rule be added about Impersonation?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Should an extra rule be added about Impersonation?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

Rifleman    14

Right, this has been a problem for quite some time now, and I think it's time something needs doing about it.

Impersonation - when used in one way it's fine, when used in others it's not. Now, the issue with impersonation is widespread and in turn can play hell with a group's or individual's image and goals, I know this because I have experienced this myself with the 101st - we had a group of people running around in CDF Beret's, claiming to be us, then robbing, torturing and essentially doing anything that conflicted with the group's ideals and goals - and in turn, it gave us a bad reputation and played hell with our recruitment. This issue was not isolated to just one group unfortunately - I recall that some people have even had to resort to Permadeathing their character's because of this.

I propose an outright ban, or at least an extra rule about impersonation because of this issue - I don't see a problem with people lying about their identities for any reason (Such as fear or any good IC reason), but not impersonating another person's character or group under any circumstances due to the potential for abusing it.

So, Thoughts?

Mamba    0

Rolle has stated before that impersonation is a no. He also stated that it would be punished severely, specifically using  impersonation to put the group in a situation that another group would gain KOS rights etc. However no set rule has been put in to place. I agree with your point and give +1 to your suggestion. Especially with the amount of complaints I have been hearing of it as of late

5eeb0c4ad4e9ec52c9895d80a28e317a.png

AndreyQ    0

What you are describing is indeed a rule-break classifying as baiting.When you engage in hostile activities with a name of an existing character you are giving the other party KoS rights on you and false rights on the original person that plays that specific character.Even though KoS rights might not be use, repetitive events under a certain name can give false execution right towards the character that is being impersonated.

Even though this considered baiting I do agree with you that impersonation needs to be made clear in the rules.

PS: I will leave this here as it is based on the same discussion: http://www.dayzrp.com/t-Impersonation--70097

Terra    1449

I actually do think it cannot harm to add it to "what not to do" - On the other hand I think it is common sense and we cannot list every rulebreak possible.

Guest CUDA   
Guest CUDA

I will give it a +1. I think false flag operations could be cool but it is not feasible and leads to KOS and other out of character problems. Also the fact that people impersonating others give generally Bad RP and that tends to reflect badly on the entire group.

Guest K-Jack   
Guest K-Jack

As Echo said, yes it is a rule and it is enforced although not listed in the rules section.

Its an issue all groups with some sort of uniform face and should be reported when seen. And yes I wholeheartedly agree it should be added to the rules as it is not as "common sense" as some may believe. Anyone who has belonged to a big group that wwears sone garment as a uniform knows this is a serious and ongoing problem

Maybe it should also be worth mentioning that making up a name to hide your identity is fine, but opening the player's list and picking a random name is pure metagaming and can lead to very awkward situations.

"Hi, what's you name?"

"Gavin Dayer"

"Oh really? That's funny because that's my name too..."

Hatch    0

I thought it was already a rule but I suppose if it's not actually officially stated then people cannot be punished for it.

Time to add a new section to the rules!

AndreyQ    0

I thought it was already a rule but I suppose if it's not actually officially stated then people cannot be punished for it.

It is classified as baiting as you are giving someone false KoS rights on a person.So it is a rule, it just needs to be clarified a bit in the examples and extras section.

Hatch    0

It is classified as baiting as you are giving someone false KoS rights on a person.So it is a rule, it just needs to be clarified a bit in the examples and extras section.

That's what I'm saying. It is a hidden rule currently and now needs to be officially stated.

Oldman    22

Maybe it should also be worth mentioning that making up a name to hide your identity is fine, but opening the player's list and picking a random name is pure metagaming and can lead to very awkward situations.

"Hi, what's you name?"

"Gavin Dayer"

"Oh really? That's funny because that's my name too..."

This depends, what if you pick a fake name and then the other uses the player list to metagame and its not on the player list. Obviously he can't asume you lie because of this, but deep down he will be more suspicious wich will influence him. 

But back on topic, I don't think you need to add this to the rules. Giving others a bad name on purpose falls under common sense.

Mamba    0

-snip-

That would be unfortunate. It is metagaming, the player list does not exist in Chernarus.

Chance    48

Impersonation can have serious effects on a group or on individuals. 

I think there should be enforced punishments, if you are caught impersonating.

Guest Vittoria   
Guest Vittoria

I don't see how impesonation of another group would fall under common sense at all.

When your new, or atlest some what new, you'll follow the rules word for word. If something is not listed, they probably wont follow it.

Roach    1645

I was impersonated once. Let me tell ya this doesn't only affect groups but individuals as well.

It got me into a report (back when no logs).

READ MY STORY ABOUT THIS HERE (It may help you have a better judgement on the matter)

I think if it's done right sure! But this guy went around saying he was Quinn Bauer, flipping people off, and even killed in my name. So you see, impersonating someone is okay if you're looking to infiltrate or something like that. But to tarnish someone's good name... now it's a different matter!

Impersonating is a bigger problem than some may think and I too think there should be elaboration on the subject on what is accepted and what is not when it comes to this.

Sandy    19

Realistically you could impersonate a group and do bad things in their name, most groups have an armband, beret or other clothing item which ID's them and it is easy to wear this and people will think you are with the group. You may not know IC or OOC that you are impersonating a group and if you do bad things then it can give the group a bad name.

I personally think if you were to run round robbing someone in a Chedaki beret it would be fine unless you are specifically saying I am with the Chedaki and making victims blame the Chedaki for your actions, you cannot ban people for wearing items of clothing but if someone is trying to pass IC blame to a group that they are not a part of then yes it should be bannable. If a group finds someone wearing their clothing that they use to ID then they can initiate, take it, beat them do all sorts of hostile RP to put others off trying to impersonate them.

From an OOC perspective to impersonate a group to make people hate them IC is bad sportsmanship, its unfair to ruin another groups experience and reputation.

Sasha    0

Regarding the Chedaki here - Seeing as we made the group "The Chedaki", not a specific cell of the Chedaki, I don't expect, or request, that we take ownership of a large part of the lore. The Chedaki is a major factor in the lore, something that I'm sure a few people (surprisingly few though) have decided to use as inspiration or ground stone for their characters. I find it fine for other people to portray themselves as former chedaki or a chedaki searching for remnants or whatever.

What I don't find fine is when people intentionally perform shitty RP continuously, while acting like they're part of the large Chedaki group. Bringing a bad name to our group on an OOC level. If it's done with good RP, and all is kept in-character we're fine with it OOC, and we'll deal with it IC.

As we will do with anyone we consider an impersonator IC.

Contrary to what Sanderr says, I'm fine if they work IC, to make people hate us IC. The problem is when it reaches OOC.

This is just my personal opinion on the matter, and mine alone.

This depends, what if you pick a fake name and then the other uses the player list to metagame and its not on the player list. Obviously he can't asume you lie because of this, but deep down he will be more suspicious wich will influence him.

Well that would also be metagaming, two wrongs don't make a right? You're basically excusing metagaming because the other party might metagame, that's also wrong.

Hamakaze    13

I don't see a problem with characters using Fake names for things like cover stories to do some spying however using it to tarnish another group or individuals reputation is unacceptable.

Oldman    22

Well that would also be metagaming, two wrongs don't make a right? You're basically excusing metagaming because the other party might metagame, that's also wrong.

How am I excusing it? I am simply stating the cause of people using names from the player list in the first place. To understand the problem you go to its cause.

Brad    158

This has been an issue for sometime now and can affect the game IC (incorrect kos rights) and OOC (OOC hate/wrong name being reported).

While thie rule is common sense I think it has caused enough discussion and turmoil to add it to the "what not to do section" as Terra suggested might be appropriate.

Montanez    25

We've been impersonated multiple times and most of those times they either learn not to do it or they give some serious shitty RP to people which affects our group. Unfortunately we can't do anything about this and although it's bad, i don't have a problem with it as long as they don't use my name to log in the server.

Mathematics    0

I feel like this issue isn't an issue.

Impersonating a group your character knows IC and doing something hostile to a member of a group you have an issue with IC, causing hostilities... makes tactical sense.

From a rules standpoint, I can see why people are against it, though. But I also dislike a lot of the rules for being too unrealistic, though I still abide by them despite this.

If you do add impersonation to the rules, make it allowable but ONLY under certain circumstances. Find a way to make it so there are no false KOS rights when it occurs, if you can. Because, honestly, we've already lost so much realism in this community's RP that I can't stand being in-game around people anymore...

And don't nitpick my comment. Take it for what it is: a grain of salt for people to take with the rest.

Chow    45

Like Rolle have said before, impersonating someone with the intention of getting someone else killed is bad. Mkay

But when you're trying to get out of a situation, and you can RP good enough to get out of the situation.

go for it!

Jack Allen    18

It would bring more good than harm to add a rule for impersonation. I'd say add it.