Server time: 2017-08-20, 01:57

Sign in to follow this  

Pulse Checking

If you see someone new, don't run up to them and check their pulse right away. It's creepy.

Hate it

I get pissed and tell them to quit trying to smell me

Tell them to back off in-game.

Montanez    25

"HEY HEY HEY BACK OFF THE HELL YOU ON ABOUT DROP WEPS 10 SECS"

Simplest solution.

People do this? what even...

It used to be somewhat of a necessity before standalone got hit and kill logs.

Pussy    311

It's super obvious and definitely is a weird thing to do when you have just met someone. I usually don't mind if it is done in a super sneaky way, or they immerse it into the role play somehow.

Even when it was important to find out the identities for people if the need for a report came up, I always appreciated when people found an in character reason to get so close to me in game.

Fleety    4

But isn't this to do with checking the pulse of alive people?

It is. Same applied, though, since you sometimes wouldn't be able to get the names quick enough after their death.

OFA-Faux    4

+1

I understand if a person seems trolly and other situations where you feel like you might need to make a report, but it drives me nuts when I introduce myself and people are trying to figure out if im using a false name... Ive started asking people "Hey what are you doing? Please dont stand so close to me, your making me feel uncomfortable."

It was to get names and identities of people so you could make a report in case of a KOS or any other violation of the rules from before hit and kill logs. 

Still a necessity for many rulebreaks though.

Fleety    4

AHH ok, I was here posting like an idiot 'Hurr why do people check pulses  Durrr'. Haha, thanks for clearing that up

Oliv    1552

I've always avoided pulse checking, before and now that there are kill logs. I don't think it's right. If I want you to know my name, I'll give it to you, and likewise you to me. I avoid checking as much as possible.

Janana    28

Hate it

I get pissed and tell them to quit trying to smell me

Aha. I watched Denver and Jay Wong both freak out when people look like they're trying to pulse check them referencing that exactly.

"Get away! Get away! Stop sniffin' me bro! Weird, man. Stop."

Terra    1368

You can check, but you can´t use it. Very simple. It can be very usefull if you need to report a rule break. However, running into someones face is just annoying. There are smarter ways to do it without the person get to know it.

Jack Allen    18

I actually never really checked peoples pulses. I still don't, I just find it weird. But every now and then someone runs up to me, and checks my pulse. I just respond with, "Personal space, ever heard of it, Eh?"

Bjon    15

+1, I loathe this.

I make it a habit to call people out with a "Can I help you?" when they are obviously pulse checking my character and most of the time they simply ignore me and walk away. It just looks awkward and breaks immersion when some dude just strolls up next to me without a word, sits there for 10 seconds, and then just turns around and leaves.

Janana    28

Pulse checkingis generally one of two things:

1) Curiosity (Why can't you just ask them?)

2) Metagaming.

If people are pulse checking you and they somehow find out it's you and take action on that, you may want to prepare a metagaming report.

Vandy    34

Please for the love of Roleplay, don't do this at all!

Running up to someones face, checking his pulse, is really breaking immersive.

I, for instance, can't stand people that come close to me in real life. I like a friendly chat and what so ever, but I can't stand people that stand way to close to me.

So my characther in game doesn't either. Standing nose to nose would get him irritated.

TLake    23

If you can pulse check in a subtle manner and you have to go for it.

Spartan    1016

If you do it secretly it is fine as long as you don't use the information you gained. Never run up to someone, check their pulse and walk back. It ruins the RP. Try to do it sneaky.

For example: when i drop the note and the person bends over to read it, i pulse check him without moving and I remember the name. I don't use it untill he has introduced himself.

Pulse checking is fine aslong as you do it sneaky and as long as you don't use the information you gained ingame, that would be metagaming.

Hellspawnceri    476

Yeah people who run about pulse checking people annoy me. The worst is when they do it multiple times, and never ask for your name.

I try to be as subtle as possible when pulse checking, but it's usually at night or when I've met someone I know.

LeSuiken    22

I had someone pulse check me repeatedly up in Green Mountain, he wasn't even subtle about it. About once every few minutes for half an hour the same person ran into my face, wiggled around a little, then ran away. Same person kept running around doing the same to others. I started questioning him after a few times, he told me he thought I smell really good. *Facepalm* GreenmountainRP

Guest Vittoria   
Guest Vittoria

I had someone pulse check me repeatedly up in Green Mountain, he wasn't even subtle about it. About once every few minutes for half an hour the same person ran into my face, wiggled around a little, then ran away. Same person kept running around doing the same to others. I started questioning him after a few times, he told me he thought I smell really good. *Facepalm* GreenmountainRP

Id bust out the good ol' "hands up or get shot" on em.

But thats just me.

Aiko    575

I know some people who cant keep track of even their own group members names. So they pulse check to remember, which I am ok with that. Though, when you first meet someone that is annoying. Especially if you give someone a fake name, and they sometimes say your lying after a pulse check. Which breaks immersion..