Server time: 2017-10-18, 00:23
Safe Zone: CLOSED

Sign in to follow this  
AndreyQ

Moderators being able to kick people.

AndreyQ    0

I had been thinking for some time what is the difference between a CH and a MOD.I know that MODs can close threads, but that is about it compared to the CH role.So in the last Q&A I have asked the staff what is the exact role of a Moderator? What does he/she do rather then the normal CH work?

A: Moderator is a CH+.MODs do CH work and some other backstage things.

With this in mind I have been thinking why MODs do not have the power to kick people off the server.I haven't been playing that much recently but I know that a month ago it was really hard to get Bugs Bunny kicked off the server.One time there were no GMs nor Admins on and even if there were it usually took time as Admins and GMs have a pretty busy schedule.

So why not give Moderators the power to kick people and actually moderate more then the forums and some IG stuff? Opinions?

Diggy    0

It could help I guess, but the role of moderator from what I understand is pretty much forum and TS based. They moderate the forums and TS, while the higher staff positions deal with IG stuff mostly.

Buddy    1061

[align=justify]Correct me if I'm wrong, but some new members as staff have been so good at being a CH that they were promoted to MOD within seemingly the very next week after joining. Not to say they're incapable by any means or shouldn't be trusted, but that is a great deal of responsibility for someone so fresh at joining the staff ranks. I feel it would be best for only the higher tier staff to remain in control over server moderation.

EDIT:: Another thought crossed my mind. With the server administration tools being so limited at this point, it may not even be possible to have levels of permissions set for people that have access to the server controls. An Admin or GM would be able to confirm this for me, but it may just be set up to where you have a login and access to everything, unless Rolle is able to make levels of access. If not, Mods would potentially have GM and Admin access for the server tools.

AndreyQ    0

Correct me if I'm wrong, but some new members as staff have been so good at being a CH that they were promoted to MOD within seemingly the very next week after joining.

As far as I am concerned, promotions only happen after a month or so only if that said person has done some good work.I might be wrong tho.

Not to say they're incapable by any means or shouldn't be trusted, but that is a great deal of responsibility for someone so fresh at joining the staff ranks. I feel it would be best for only the higher tier staff to remain in control over server moderation.

I was not suggesting a full server moderation, just kicking people if that alone is even possible.It is a sizable responsibility but I do not see why it could not be handled  by the MODs.

Rick    19

Doesn't sound like a good idea to me,

Because of the programs we use, giving them the power to kick players off servers would also give them the power to ban players as well. They could do everything short of restarting the server

Every staff position has different responsibilities. Moderators need to be focused on their own, not what GM's are supposed to be doing. Every promotion yields new responsibilities, and are given more trust within staff. Seeing as we have 11 GM's, and 6 admins, I see no reason to give them this power prematurely.

AndreyQ    0

Because of the programs we use, giving them the power to kick players off servers would also give them the power to ban players as well. 

Well then this kinda sums things off.

/thread

Brad    158

For a bit of a better understanding/transparency of what us mods do on a daily basis I present.  

Mod life:

All previous duties of a CH - working helpdesk, solving questions/troubleshooting, helping with pm's about white lists, all previous duties

New duties - Moderate forums (checking reported posts, coming to a decision on them, and putting forth punishments if necessary), checking for duplicate ip's, vac bans, etc.  Moving threads, closing threads, archiving groups.  Thread notes (putting opinions in reports, threads in question, etc).

Teamspeak:  Help setup group TS channels if needed, checking for correct username, kicking from channels/server if needed.

There's probably more to it that I'm missing but there's a lot that a mod must learn once gaining the position, when someone becomes a GM they then gain the powers associated with the actual game, and is a natural progression in the ranks.

Anyways it's never a dull moment that's for sure!

Chris    63

Of of the biggest and simplest answers is: Moderating for in-game name infractions is a minuscule problem. In addition to the permission reasons stated above.

Guest Neszy   
Guest Neszy

Considering the whole Bugs Bunny thing, bear in mind that all members of staff regardless of rank have access to the staff chat. If you don't see anyone around able to deal with the issue themselves, notify the issue to any member of staff and they will make sure it gets done. 

Just because a Mod can't kick it doesn't mean he can't tell a GM to do it for him ;)

Willem    2

Moderators have more powers on TS than Community Helpers have, correct?

Mamba    0

Yes, they have more power in T.S and on the forums.

Willem    2

Yes, they have more power in T.S and on the forums.

There you go, moderators can do enough already.

Besides that, the only time someone needs to get kicked off the DayZRP SA servers is when someone is using an invalid name.

When ever that happens the game masters and admins handle that, not a whole lot of work and besides that what else do these GMs and admins have to do all day >.>