Server time: 2017-10-16, 22:12
Safe Zone: OPEN

Sign in to follow this  
Yoshi

Torture Scenarios

Yoshi    61

I've heard loads of stories about how people have been tortured. Cuts, bruises, scars; the whole nine yards. What gets me isn't the aspect of torture. Ic'ly, I've sat in on several tortures, hell, even participated (pretending to be in distress to coax answers from the person), so the idea isn't disgusting.

What DOES bother me, however, is the fact that people seem to take from a typical script. No one gets creative, and they typically rush, not inciting real FEAR into me. Removing body parts, carving your name or your groups name to "send messages" ("You're me hostage, so I'll send my old pal a message, and you're my apocalyptic body-phone), and and feeding people pieces of their own body. Seriously? I want someone to make me FEAR. Legitimately. It's always the same old stuff and no one seems to be able to come up with a good original idea. Something that doesn't involve this. I've nearly been tortured once, but the guy was distracted, unfortunately, by someone else. Not saying I want just any old fruit to come up and start torturing me. I mean, the guy actually had a decent IC reason to do so. I was withholding information about my character from him, and he wanted to pursue my story. Applause to that man.

Just an idea of how serious I am about this. You CAN say no to something being done. You don't have to agree to anything they do. You should, however, provide an alternative to what they wanted to do, and not leave them hanging. My message would go something a little like this:

Bandit: //Request to remove left pinky and permascar.

Me: //NO. You can permscar, but no removal of body parts, no carving of symbols and words, and no injuring the face. Feel free to cut and shoot away.

If you don't believe that I get that ready to paste in chat message when I get taken, you'd be dead wrong.

I'd like to CHALLENGE the "bandits" and "bad guys" of the community to be original. Be you. I'm not saying I don't think these things should be done, or that other scenarios don't occur, but I sure as hell don't ever see or hear about them. They're fun to see, but the fact that it's done ALL THE DAMN TIME is more than annoying. It's like no one knows what their TRUE POTENTIAL is. They just want a quick, cheap thrill. Nothing meaningful.

Unknown Entity    126

I miss the inmates (og). Best torture RP I've ever given was in those days.

I do agree however, people need to ooc more in those situations, it's important and allows to be creative, and pleasing for the persons RP as well. And get gruesome, it's nice you'll see.

Pussy    376

What's scary truly does depend on the individual. Just because you might not be terrified at the thought of someone giving you "cuts, bruises, and scars" doesn't mean that someone else would feel the same way.

Fear is such a hard thing to accomplish successfully because it differs from person to person. 

Not only that, but A LOT of torture role play has happened in this community, and sometimes it's kind of hard to find new body parts to chop off or maim, haha. 

Guest Doug Quade   
Guest Doug Quade

It can be difficult to make someone truly fear because you can't powergame, you can't force perma  etc.....  Players know that if they talk enough shit or don't comply, they get killed. Then they just go regear.  There is no real fear in the scenario. It is all up to both parties to make it scary.

Yoshi    61

What's scary truly does depend on the individual. Just because you might not be terrified at the thought of someone giving you "cuts, bruises, and scars" doesn't mean that someone else would feel the same way.

Fear is such a hard thing to accomplish successfully because it differs from person to person. 

Not only that, but A LOT of torture role play has happened in this community, and sometimes it's kind of hard to find new body parts to chop off or maim, haha. 

The one scenario I mentioned was actually quite thrilling. Liam Paige, of The Faith, was being tortured by Kristoff, and had a knife shoved up one of his nostrils rather slowly. THAT, although it's a part of the face, I'd agree to, even though I wouldn't allow the scar to be permanent.

It can be difficult to make someone truly fear because you can't powergame, you can't force perma  etc.....  Players know that if they talk enough shit or don't comply, they get killed. Then they just go regear.  There is no real fear in the scenario. It is all up to both parties to make it scary.

I hope that's not the case. I try to play out the politics of the situation, when I'm a hostage, and gain my freedom because I fear for my own safety.

You call out torture RP, with valid reason - I'd like to call out pain RP. When you emote a horrific action on a victim and all you get is a half-arsed whimper (if even that), it just becomes awkward and makes me think: "Why fucking bother."

You can't inspire real fear because OOC a lot of people just see the torture as a vain, unoriginal attempt to be edgy. The only real fear would be caused by actual OOC fear. (eg. I'm going to cut you, let you bleed - and at the top of the ladder of that crane, is a rag - good luck) - this of course breaks the hostage care rule.

When it comes to torture now I just try for something entertaining and new; waterboarding, making them eat spiders, throwing gasoline in their eyes - I think trying to achieve 'fear' is the wrong way of going about creating a memorable and effective torture experience.

Yoshi    61

You call out torture RP, with valid reason - I'd like to call out pain RP. When you emote a horrific action on a victim and all you get is a half-arsed whimper (if even that), it just becomes awkward and makes me think: "Why fucking bother."

You can't inspire real fear because OOC a lot of people just see the torture as a vain, unoriginal attempt to be edgy. The only real fear would be caused by actual OOC fear. (eg. I'm going to cut you, let you bleed - and at the top of the ladder of that crane, is a rag - good luck) - this of course breaks the hostage care rule.

When it comes to torture now I just try for something entertaining and new; waterboarding, making them eat spiders, throwing gasoline in their eyes - I think trying to achieve 'fear' is the wrong way of going about creating a memorable and effective torture experience.

That's something I like to hear. I do dislike many people's "pain" RP. I believe I can give the appropriate amount of life to something like that.

As far as the ideas of cutting someone and leaving them to die. You can try that if you have a reason to execute them and ask OOC, I suppose. I don't think that would be a rule breaking scenario. Maybe I should be on the other end of the gun with you next time. ;)

A lot of people say this is only a game, and while I can see that point of view, I also find it extremely important to remember the following:

-there are people here trying to enjoy their free time

-there are people here at a wide range of ages and experience levels.

-there are people here playing on potatoes.

and above all:

-There are HUMAN BEINGS on the other side of the screen.

As much as we might try to keep all this intensity in our ooc & IC boxes, we are human and sometimes the salt gets high.

As a community, we owe it to ourselves to remember the people we like to have fun with on the other side of the screen, and communicate about the stories we want to tell. We owe it to ourselves, and to each other, to leave room for consent that still allows for creativity.

PvP is not the problem, hostile RP is not the problem, torture RP is not the problem, and ruleplay is NOT the problem.

The real problems come when we don't leave room for the other person/people on the screen. When we don't leave room for consent conversations, and other communication. When we don't leave room for RP collaboration and sharing the stage.

Alitmos, thank you for this candid conversation.

Janana    28

I've discovered quite the confused view on torture RP. I fail to see how everyone in Chernarus would be okay with this sort of roleplay. Especially when I can question every single person here that it's very unlikely that you would do it in real life. I don't remember who but there was a guide written on torture RP and how to do it correctly. It said in bold letters "If you can't do it in real life, don't do it in RP" and I often directly relate it to how people can manage to do it in Chernarus. It takes a certain kind of person in Chernarus to stab someone several times, peel their kneecaps off or repeatedly smash someone's hands with a hammer against a tree. I'd like to think torture RP isn't required but it seems it happens every single time someone is taken hostage. As if mutilating their hostage is actually required.

Jack Allen    18

I typically just go with the OOC route of saying this: //You can use any methods of torture on me, just don't cut off major limbs, fingers and toes you can remove. And it usually works out well. Mister Wade West and his group of friends ended up removing my eyebrows, I loved their torture rp! :)

Janana    28

Mister Wade West and his group of friends ended up removing my eyebrows, I loved their torture rp! :)

I love it.

Jack the Ripper    336

Best two tortures I've ever done: When we brought our Nyleea's.... other, and Slade, her and myself took turns trying to break Lucky's alt.

The other time was when we gave Sticks his name. Broke him physically and mentally until he would only refer to himself as Sticks.

Volke    131

I go against this entirely. The reason they don't have fear is because people don't immerse themselves enough, a problem I've noticed since I've joined the community. Not all of my tortures but some of my tortures I was generally ooc scared and stressed and crying IRL.

One was in the: you guessed it, the Inmates, on Dr. J Lyfe which is to still date, the best torture I've ever recieved on DayZRP when Neszy & I were finally caught by the Inmates. From Vybor to Novy Sobor, we were walked, beaten , abused, with a parade of people, I called myself a Martyr like Jesus. The Entire torture lasted 2.5 hours, ended up with me going unconcious 8 times, to the point where I was so unwilling to live that I threw myself on a fireplace to burn myself alive...only when I saw an opening and made a mad dash, It was so intense, like 10+ coming after you . I made it to the Novy pond where I was shot down and that was that....But fuck...

Another memorable torture was when Quaid took me to Lopatino Barns, abused and made Blake not want to live. And after a long torture session , I was lined up against the wall, and they counted and shot all around me...my heart skipped a beat.. I was truly scared I was going to die.

So these 2 events, have showed me OOCly that with enough immersion and the right roleplayers, you can truly roleplay fear. I remember after Dr J Lyfe & Blake died I was shaking and sobbing OOCly, It was so memorable...

God damn I miss the Inmates x.x so many good times

TLDR: Torture can be done right and fear can be truly experssed even if this is "just a game" which this is so much more. A game is something mindless you spend a few minutes playing like League or COD or anything.

On DayZrp, people pour hours , days, weeks and even months in their characters, their stories...So to call this just a game would offend those people , myself included.

Dustin    0

I enjoy a good torture RP, but certain times can effect so and so, when I play most sleep so actaully "Screaming" VOIP is hard so I text it out. It's not as emersive as actual VOIP but when you emote the pain it still is better then "Cuts toe off" and then person just stairs blankly.

Guest giantpopcorn56   
Guest giantpopcorn56

Now, from what I've read, there's no real reason any one of you have experience torture RP other than the thrill it gives a bandit. I must ask; has anyone experienced a torture RP wherein the bandit actually NEEDED something from you, such as information on the whereabouts of certain people? If so, was that any more fearful than a random bait/trap or holdup situation? Did you crack and give them the info? Do you think it'd make the experience more delightful for the other players if you decided to give up your friends? Also, in this same circumstance, has anyone experienced a hostage rescue from the members of their group? I'd love to hear about how that went.

come come, I teach you the way of the Chinese torture.

first you must enjoy, take him in, bind him up to chair.

now you got bitch in chair, you kick bitch, you punch bitch, you burn bitch, you break bitch nose.

some methods I find that a lot of victims would say yes to is simple torture, don't cut him up, don't carve him what's the point? break a glass window, grabs some glasses shards and shove it in his mouth. punch him in the face.

the idea of torture is to let the victim last for as long as possible, a sadist would want things to drag on not just a couple hits and let the victim tell the secrets. I like to drag it out, do some permanent mental damage, attack with words more than fist.

break them mentally and physically, make it so that they beg. given the option hurt the ones they love.

the issue with torture is that people who do it aren't sadistic, they aren't creative, why torture someone when you're only gonna do it physically. sure you can peel their nails off one at a time, you can rip out their teeth one at a time, you can carve them; you can fuck them up. what's the point if at the end of the day, you know you won't get anything. why damage a victim, when you can break him?

Glitch    15

You have to put people in scenarios that feel threatening to torture them, don't just take them away in the woods and beat the crap out of them and say threatening things. Take your little hostage and bring him into town as your "friend" and warn him if he says anything he dies because then they will be on edge, wanting to let the words out but they will know you are watching and listening. Or be really eerie like and take them out at night to some secluded house, don't say a lot to them, put the inside and walk outside and close the doors. If they walk outside whisper to them from the darkness, I also get scared hearing whispers directed to me at night lol. Or people could sound more aggressive, like if you are able to yell do it. I know some people are unable due to the fact they can't be yelling with a baby in the next room or what not but if you can, go for it. Sound like someone just punched you in the face and you are getting back. And a final idea which may be power gaming or not, but make someone play with death. Like make them jump from one high location to another but only if you know it's very well possible and they will not die, even though they may think so. Or play some Russian roulette. Get multiple guns (doesn't have to be sidearms) and empty all of them so they don't die, so it lasts, but they wont know they are all empty and make them put the gun to their head and shoot each one. Lets say you use four pistols, they reach number three and say to themselves (Yeah this guy is bluffing) After the fourth one, pick it up and put a bullet in it, make sure it's a revolver maybe and then shoot. Say that they had a lucky draw, it could have spun the bullet around to the barrel or whatever.

Just some ideas, maybe I should torture people.

Guest Doug Quade   
Guest Doug Quade

It all depends on the parties involved as I said earlier. Every player is at different levels of immersion, which affects the roleplay...... Just do the best that you can in the situation.

-snip-

Not a single mention of growing bamboo shoots under one's fingernails... Amateur. [emoji14]

Fleety    4

I saw on a stream once, someone was held captive and withdrawing information from these bandits, so they basically just got another innocent person they found, and instead started torturing that person in order to guilt the other guy into giving up. Thought that could be an interesting idea to mess with.

-snip-

Not a single mention of growing bamboo shoots under one's fingernails... Amateur. [emoji14]

I wish I could torture someone by growing bamboo shoots in their fingernails but where the hell is an "innocent" Chinese man going to find bamboo in Chernarus. at most I can slam 2 sticks inside a guy's ear and call it a "general chow special". or you know... do my favorite method of torturing a guy, you need a water can, a towel and a chair, it's called the Japanese water torture. horrible horrible thing they did to the Chinese during the occupation

Willem    2

I heard of this man named Bojack who takes away eyebrows and toenails.

Phatal    50

I think I can understand this. After all, name carving and body part removal is old and can be tame. In OREL, we adopted this idea of water boarding someone. I've continued to use this interrogation method on and this is the first time I think I've actually mentioned that. And in my present group I can promise you that any torture that could come from it would be individual and different. As has been stated, I feel as though it's just the person. There groups of people who go around cutting "Vamp" or and eye or "(name here)" etc. etc. I feel like if people were to actually try and reach out to other things, they'd find it more enjoyable.

Yoshi    61

I've discovered quite the confused view on torture RP. I fail to see how everyone in Chernarus would be okay with this sort of roleplay. Especially when I can question every single person here that it's very unlikely that you would do it in real life. I don't remember who but there was a guide written on torture RP and how to do it correctly. It said in bold letters "If you can't do it in real life, don't do it in RP" and I often directly relate it to how people can manage to do it in Chernarus. It takes a certain kind of person in Chernarus to stab someone several times, peel their kneecaps off or repeatedly smash someone's hands with a hammer against a tree. I'd like to think torture RP isn't required but it seems it happens every single time someone is taken hostage. As if mutilating their hostage is actually required.

I feel a little bit the same way. One of the frustrations I didn't mention which brought this out was just that: Not everyone needs to do this. I've been a participant, like I said, but only to the degree which I could stand it, and only as a method of persuasion. I wasn't the one performing acts of harm. I could never do something like that IRL.

Best two tortures I've ever done: When we brought our Nyleea's.... other, and Slade, her and myself took turns trying to break Lucky's alt.

The other time was when we gave Sticks his name. Broke him physically and mentally until he would only refer to himself as Sticks.

This is actually the one I was referring to about having participated in. Knowing the guy IC, and setting up a situation while he was unconscious, making him think you had taken me hostage as well.

I must ask; has anyone experienced a torture RP wherein the bandit actually NEEDED something from you, such as information on the whereabouts of certain people? If so, was that any more fearful than a random bait/trap or holdup situation? Did you crack and give them the info? Do you think it'd make the experience more delightful for the other players if you decided to give up your friends? Also, in this same circumstance, has anyone experienced a hostage rescue from the members of their group? I'd love to hear about how that went.

To this, I divert to the incident where me, Ivan, Slade, and Nyleea all got together in the torture of Lucky. We coaxed Nyleea's inner dark side into revealing itself, and then used me as a fake "hostage" to try and break him. Before we could, however, my character broke when that particular dark side attempted to end Nyleea's life.

Sandy    17

I have to agree that carving messages into people and cutting off fingers and toes is over done. I probably would deny permission for a carving since I think it is really over done, loosing a finger unless they have a good IC reason to maim me I would probably also deny permission. Waterboarding can be done with a Burlap and if you are near a pump, heard of it used a few times in RP a few times and it is not the usual cut things off till they talk torture. I also have a few ideas for when I next need information of things I haven't seen done before, I think its important for a character who tortures to build their own style of how they do it, not just copy other people.

Another point is psychological torture, it can be hard to pull off and realistically takes longer than you could hold someone hostage without an OOC agreement, but it would give a far better RP experience to both parties and have a longer lasting effect on a character.

You have to remember torture normally lasts days, weeks, years until someone is broken and will give all information. To keep RP interesting it can last a maximum of a few hours. Victims obviously are not feeling any pain IRL so they have to consider how much suffering their character can take before they break. I imagine most people in this community have never been tortured in any way so it will be hard to imagine exactly how painful something is and how long you could tolerate it. Many people also feel protected by rules, if you forget that they can't kill you if you continue to comply and act as if you can be killed at any point then you can give much more realistic victim RP.