Server time: 2017-08-23, 14:03

Sign in to follow this  
Ascent_rain

KoSing

Question

Ascent_rain    3

I have not found this addressed, so I will ask it since it just happened. I was just enjoying myself at my fire and then all of a sudden, *crack*. A shot flies past me or near me. I was startled of course since I was minding my own business. I went on cooking some fish, then to my left about 5 minutes later I hear 2 or 3 AK shots and cracks coming at me. Maybe someone was just messing around or not, but if this happens, do you gain KoS rights? I believe you should but I am not sure, I looked for the man from where the shots came from and never found him

7 answers to this question

Montanez    25

As a personal experience, i once shot towards the sky after i hostile RP'd with two guys, they killed me. We made a report and they were found non guilty as they thought i was shooting at them.

I guess it depends on the situation, sonic boom on bullets are a really glitchy thing at this point in DayZ and i would recomend NOT using it as a way of gaining KoS rights. Of course if the shots are landing in the dirt next to you then that's a different story. Hope this helped.

Absolutely, that right there my boy is an attempted KOS on ya if no initiation was made on you and it was just purely just shots then ya could kill the guy tryin to light ya up.

Brad    155

It would be considered a hostile act.

You'd just have to make sure you actually can ID the shooter.

Ascent_rain    3

Thanks for the quick replies guys, and I was sitting in front of my tent in between two trees. I figured the first set of shots were on accident, but as I waited the second shots I heard was an AK and it hit the tree next to me.

Montanez    25

Thanks for the quick replies guys, and I was sitting in front of my tent in between two trees. I figured the first set of shots were on accident, but as I waited the second shots I heard was an AK and it hit the tree next to me.

Then they were definitely shooting at you, thus you gain KoS rights. Bullet snaps and bullet hits are way different and you're always able to tell the difference. 

Bullets actually LANDING near you? They're shooting at you.    

PZZ! PZZ! of bullets? Probably meaning that someone is shooting in your direction, but not always necessarily at you.

(The above stated is if you're not involved in a firefight, of course)

Rick    19

Theoretically, yes it does

The problem when taking random shots, is it's near impossible to ID to who shot them, unless you can actually see them shoot at you. As a result, one can hardly use the KOS rights they receive. Your best bet is honestly just to leave the area and come back later, or report the situation if you are actually hit with a bullet.

Hey Ascent_rain!

As the others have said, it is considered hostile but being able to ID is also important. With the answers given in this thread, I will mark it as solved.