Server time: 2017-08-21, 23:38

Sign in to follow this  
Coyote Tactics

KoS clarification

Question

Howdy all. Still going through all the rules and a lot of the posts before logging on for the first time. Want to make sure I have it down before getting into it.

1) If I am being threatened [approached at gunpoint by a bandit in an obvious threat, for example] am I allowed to shoot if it is reasonable for my character to act in that manner? Fear of life loss, concern of harm to friends or self, etc? Or because they got the drop on me, do I have to give in?

2) If kidnapped, and things go south [kidnapper starts wanting to do dark things to me], am I able to retaliate if it seems I have the chance? The rules felt like I had to go along with a kidnapper's demands, or I could get killed without issue. Say he takes me into a back room, makes some very terrible demands, and I see a hammer in the corner. Can I go for it? Totally seems like a real reaction to have.

3) Finally; if someone claims to be a cannibal, and you are therefor in fear of your life [and figure they are a murderer], can you take them out? Or do you need to actually witness the act before reacting?

All of these are "How would I personally react?" in these circumstances, and I want to make sure what I feel is reasonable lines up with the rules. Thanks for your thoughts and help!

4 answers to this question

Guest Joe   
Guest Joe

Howdy all. Still going through all the rules and a lot of the posts before logging on for the first time. Want to make sure I have it down before getting into it.

1) If I am being threatened [approached at gunpoint by a bandit in an obvious threat, for example] am I allowed to shoot if it is reasonable for my character to act in that manner? Fear of life loss, concern of harm to friends or self, etc? Or because they got the drop on me, do I have to give in?

2) If kidnapped, and things go south [kidnapper starts wanting to do dark things to me], am I able to retaliate if it seems I have the chance? The rules felt like I had to go along with a kidnapper's demands, or I could get killed without issue. Say he takes me into a back room, makes some very terrible demands, and I see a hammer in the corner. Can I go for it? Totally seems like a real reaction to have.

3) Finally; if someone claims to be a cannibal, and you are therefor in fear of your life [and figure they are a murderer], can you take them out? Or do you need to actually witness the act before reacting?

All of these are "How would I personally react?" in these circumstances, and I want to make sure what I feel is reasonable lines up with the rules. Thanks for your thoughts and help!

1. If you are being threatened by a bandit and you know/feel that he is going to harm you then you can take it into your own hands and try and kill him, but once you stop co-operating and take out a gun or any weapon he has the right to kill you.

2. If you do get kidnapped by a player I believe you gain KoS rights if he starts attacking you, such as punching you and what not. 

3. You need to gain KoS rights on a person before attempting to kill them. If they do nothing to you then just leave them but you can keep an eye on them and see if things go south. If they do then you can approach the character and talk to him and interrogate him.

-Joe Johnson

Brad    155

If they point a gun at you and threaten you and you can fight back (aren't outnumbered, or outgunned for that matter), you are allowed to.  There are quite a few examples of this working well (even a failed robberies thread dedicated to it).

If you try and fail, you could be reported for NVFL.  Depending on the circumstances, you'd want to be very cautious, a hammer not so much, a gun on the other hand, likely.  It's all about the RP, so you want to do that first, if an oppurtunity arises you have KOS rights say technically if possible, you can take the kill if it's possible.

3) Finally; if someone claims to be a cannibal, and you are therefor in fear of your life [and figure they are a murderer], can you take them out? Or do you need to actually witness the act before reacting?  Once again RP over anything.  Killing because someone is a cannibal is not a good enough reason.  You could initiate and interrogate, torture and try to put them on the right path.  

Executions would be your very last resort, and you'd want to have a few interactions with that character before doing so.

Let me know if there are any further questions!

Awesome, thanks for the clarification! I figured I would eventually end up in these situations, so now I know how to handle them.

Brad    155

Awesome, thanks for the clarification! I figured I would eventually end up in these situations, so now I know how to handle them.

Not a problem! I'll marked this as /solved, and if you have anything else you need cleared up, don't hesitate!