Server time: 2017-08-20, 00:33

Sign in to follow this  
Archer

Identification in game

Archer    0

So, lately, Delta has been happening upon people we know, OOC, are a part of other clans that we deem hostile. However, when we ask them to identify themselves, they cowardly say something along the lines of, "Oh, I forgot my I.D.," or "Seems I don't have my wallet". This is annoying, from a RP stance, it's a stupid evasion of an imminent threat and it's just low.

I understand that, if the apocalypse were real, people may very well not have I.D. or you may not want to identify yourself, to the enemies, but there HAS got to be a get around, for us. It's so boring to find someone we want to interrogate and they simply lie about who they are. This specific thing has happened to us, a few times now - and it's frustrating because we just want to roleplay, but if they play this card, what can we do?

I've suggested we could foster up fake intel and say something like, "Intel just sent over a file, based off facial recognition software (finger prints, whatever), we know you're -insert terrorist name here-. We'd like to take you, in for questioning".

It's truly infuriating that we are unable to roleplay because people are afraid of losing what gear they have.

Suggestions/thoughts/ideas?

Tortov    0

Well you have to remember, its not all about you, many people don't want to tell some random stranger their name. If they badly RP it then report them, but their character has a choice and won't provide you with ID especially as doing so could get them killed.

Blizzard    0

ask more in depth qustions, ie were are you headed, who are you meeting up with , whats in the trunk etc

Paddy Mayne    0

Those questions can often still leave you not knowing who you are talking to. Time for a DNA and fingerprint database!!

Goz    2

1. Capture individual

2. Roleplay

3. If needed for ID - ask for documents,dogtags,anything

4. They should roleplay back with writing in direct chat, *Gives documents* is most appropriate

Now we seperate in 2 scenarios :

5 a). If they don't have documents,or refuse to hand it out (indicating they might have it on them) and you REALLY want to get their name, initiate a hostile action - write in direct chat you are frisking him *Frisking for documents*, you can write/say a 'bait' "What is this piece of paper?"

6. If they still don't want to play the ball - interrogate them, torture them, couple of crowbar/hatchet swings - that should make them eager to talk

7. If they are just stubborn despite previous efforts - you may kill them.

5 b). They roleplay back in voice, saying their name.

6. If you don't have IC info that this person may be lying ( player list is no IC, duh) and ID check was all in your mind - you can't force/request written ID (hidden documents to which they don't need to roleplay back) - unless you initiate a hostile action - and then you go back to 5a)

Archer    0

1. Capture individual

2. Roleplay

4. They should roleplay back with writing in direct chat, *Gives documents* is most appropriate

5. If they don't have documents,or refuse to hand it out (indicating they might have it on them) and you REALLY want to get their name, initiate a hostile action - write in direct chat you are frisking him *Frisking for documents*, you can write/say a 'bait' "What is this piece of paper?"

6. If they still don't want to play the ball - interrogate them, torture them, couple of crowbar/hatchet swings - that should make them eager to talk

Actually a good way to go about initiation... Thanks, Goz.

Nikolai B.    0

1. Capture individual

2. Roleplay

5. If they don't have documents,or refuse to hand it out (indicating they might have it on them) and you REALLY want to get their name, initiate a hostile action - write in direct chat you are frisking him *Frisking for documents*, you can write/say a 'bait' "What is this piece of paper?"

This.

I don't see how no ID is an impediment to RP, i think it's the other way around - it promotes it.

I said this in Captain Shield's thread and I'll say it here:

Your character does not walk around with a magically updating list of who is around in chernarus around you at every given moment.

If my name ingame is F. Rubanenko [ZZ] and you ask me for ID, I dont see why it's not enough that i tell you "fedor". Or, in an extreme scenario: "fedor rubanenko".

The part that bothers me about demanding ID is the blunt use of Player List and clan tag (OOC stuff) for IC benefit.

P.S - Whoever you had a run-in with, it wasnt me.

Tomeran    3

Goz's suggestions are good.

But Tortov has a Point there, its not all about you.

In short, I'd stick to something like this:

- If its a person that flatly DENIES to identify themselves with anything at all, then follow Goz's steps.

- If its a person that identifies themselves but gives up the wrong name, then there isnt much you can do, UNLESS you know the person in question and know what they look like. Do note however that you'd need to have direct experience with the person in question for this to work, otherwise its metagaming.

- If both measures above fail, then you'd either have to let them go or detain them for whatever motivation you can conjure up(although if you're roleplaying semi-good guys, detaining people for no clear IC motivation is probably not a good idea).

Guest Alpha   
Guest Alpha

Find it out trough a roleplay manner. I'd say torture him if necessary. Perhaps tell him you'll shoot him in the leg if he isn't going to identify himself and take all his morphine so he will be stranded? Stuff like that. (If you want to approach it the violent way ofcourse) But you could also ask him smart questions or trick questions to get him to identify him or herself.

But I honestly don't see a reason to implement some kind of fingerprint system or anything, remember we're living in a zombie apocalypse and a finger print system sounds a bit like luxury nobody can afford to have during these times.

Goz    2

Goz's suggestions are good.

But Tortov has a Point there, its not all about you.

In short, I'd stick to something like this:

- If its a person that flatly DENIES to identify themselves with anything at all, then follow Goz's steps.

- If its a person that identifies themselves but gives up the wrong name, then there isnt much you can do, UNLESS you know the person in question and know what they look like. Do note however that you'd need to have direct experience with the person in question for this to work, otherwise its metagaming.

- If both measures above fail, then you'd either have to let them go or detain them for whatever motivation you can conjure up(although if you're roleplaying semi-good guys, detaining people for no clear IC motivation is probably not a good idea).

I agree Tomeran, my 'guide' was written down in an event of person blatantly saying NO to everything.

If a person gave you his name via voice, and you have no IC information that he is lying(player list is not IC , duh ) then there is nothing else to do then to leave, unless you want to rob him :P

Will update my 'pro' steps.

There are many ways to try and see if a person is lying.

If you have IC knowledge of a group or person that he claims to be a part of I think you should attempt further conversation. Check their knowledge to see if their answers fit that person. If the role-play does not fit for that name they gave, I would recommend you to be highly suspicious and frisk them. (E.g. I tend to remember most of the clans basic details. In my mind if there is a clan post with IC posts then that is fair to use. I would not use communications on the forums unless they were intended to be IC).

Ultimately, you want to promote interaction and create an experience that both sides can enjoy. A memorable interrogation, where both sides are given the chance to create ideas, is much better than killing someone just because they won't give ID.

You could check him for radio communication equipment and bring him with you to see how they act or maybe even drop him off somewhere for bait. If he maintained communications with his team (e.g. you purposefully didn't strip him) he may request a pick-up or assistance where you dropped him off. By watching the area you could work out if was lying or not.

Just some ideas, but in the end creative ideas always bring more fun to the experience so it may be worth tweaking your own.

Archer    0

I truly am appreciative of all the suggestions, thank you all... I will take these into consideration the next time I run into someone!

IMHO the people should tell you IC that they arent who their chatname says they are. *shrug* my names Ed. HI IM GREG not ed apart of the clan you want to slaughter.

Guest Everett   
Guest Everett

Better yet, don't kill them. Maintain them as a prisoner until they have no choice but to divulge the info or risk combat logging. Since you have initiated hostile action they cannot log while being interrogated physically.

Reacher    0

My concern is that, at this point, it seems to all come down to some form of torture just to get someone's name confirmed with text. That's not very promising.

BobitoZ    0

Text is basically the only defense I have in game as a free medic. I basically have to talk my way out of being robed. So I always clearly state my intentions when encountering someone. I also try to be the one to make first contact, that way they know they lost the element of surprise. Typically after they see who I am some roleplaying can occur. Or they just rob me.

I also notice that if you are typing to people they have a tendency to type back. If you are typing you are not a threat at that moment.

Maybe this gives some insight into how I get people to roleplay as a non combatant.

ibtrigg    0

My concern is that when it comes to Frisking someone, you will 100% find ID otherwise the game is kinda broken in an RP sense

Scenario:

Frisk someone head to tow ( They say u find this, this and this, but theres no ID to be found)

For whatever reason they try to escape, so you kill them. ID the body, oh look there are those ID papers imma stick this name in an AAR and call it good.

If ur saying every player doesnt have ID than ur saying Studying bodies cant be considered IC

Am i wrong or just confused?

My concern is that when it comes to Frisking someone, you will 100% find ID otherwise the game is kinda broken in an RP sense

Scenario:

Frisk someone head to tow ( They say u find this, this and this, but theres no ID to be found)

For whatever reason they try to escape, so you kill them. ID the body, oh look there are those ID papers imma stick this name in an AAR and call it good.

If ur saying every player doesnt have ID than ur saying Studying bodies cant be considered IC

You could always say that you found ID concealed in X. He told you they found no ID but it could always be concealed or you have found an identifying characteristic or any piece of evidence (A letter from a loved one, old family photo).

Even so I would then argue that his ID or evidence would not say who he was with or maybe not even his full name. Unless it was his SGRU Loyalty Card.

It depends entirely on how seriously you want to take that.

E.g. Any evidence on me would be my journal which has all my details. It even goes into detail of my CLF affiliation, so I would not hold that against people.

In reality, you are only limited by your creativity but you must take into account that in an RP sense that if they had no ID you would have to either a) not identify them, or b) not use that information in game from his name.

Sin    114

Better yet, don't kill them. Maintain them as a prisoner until they have no choice but to divulge the info or risk combat logging. Since you have initiated hostile action they cannot log while being interrogated physically.

That would be powergaming or godmodeing, and while no one's tried it before, I'll bet you get at least a warning, maybe a ban. I have a hard time believing that you can provide an interesting and fun experience for a hostage whom you're preventing from logging out at risk of 'combat-logging', and at the end of the day, it is a game, and we're playing it to have fun, not be forced into doing things against our will.

The ID available from studying bodies is a leftover from ArmA; being a military sim, every player will have dog tags. In DayZ, being an apocalyptic scenario, the regulations are considerably looser. My character wears a balaklava at all times and belongs to a widely hated clan. Sometimes when none of my clan mates are available, I'll play a different character, but usually, I play the same character, but in disguise. There is absolutely NO RP justification for this character to carry ID of any type whatsoever; quite the opposite. If you capture me, I will never reveal my identity to you, barring very unusual circumstances. That said, I can think of several end-runs around the problem. I'll keep those to myself for now though ;)

Pavel    0

so you just detain someone indefinetely until RL calls, and then report them for combat logging?

Sin    114

so you just detain someone indefinetely until RL calls, and then report them for combat logging?

NO.

Tortov    0

If you RP as a forensic scientist you can claim that you took a swab back for testing on something that you knew belonged to a certain guy.

Although I don't see why you wouldn't keep your credit card on you after an apocalyptic scenario, just in case.

There's a point where attempted realism goes to far,and removing body studying is in my opinion one such example.

Plus, since whatever face you chose resets to the skin's default upon death, visual identification of a person can only be based on the clothing they wear.

If you RP as a forensic scientist you can claim that you took a swab back for testing on something that you knew belonged to a certain guy.

Although I don't see why you wouldn't keep your credit card on you after an apocalyptic scenario, just in case.

There's a point where attempted realism goes to far,and removing body studying is in my opinion one such example.

Plus, since whatever face you chose resets to the skin's default upon death, visual identification of a person can only be based on the clothing they wear.

Using the ID in game only tells you the player name. It's up to you to stick to proper roleplay and decide if your character knows them by looking at their face/clothes or not.

Being able to ID someone on-scene that your character never met would qualify as metagaming, just like knowing their name because you saw it in chat.

Tortov    0

Using the ID in game only tells you the player name. It's up to you to stick to proper roleplay and decide if your character knows them by looking at their face/clothes or not.

Being able to ID someone on-scene that your character never met would qualify as metagaming, just like knowing their name because you saw it in chat.

I don't see why IDing someone is metagamimg, particularly if they would likely be carrying some sort of identification.