Server time: 2017-08-17, 06:13

Sign in to follow this  
polarswitch

Don't bring back perma deathed people

Do you think this should be implemented?   

103 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think this should be implemented?

• yes
    • no

polarswitch    5

So, it is starting to get really confusing. people i know IC friends and enemies have permaed and those events have had lasting effects on my story as well as others I'm sure. So why after a week or so do people bring them back even after allowing their death to be announced via radio chatter and other means. I'm sorry but allowing event to be a perma then going back to that person a while later feels like bad RP in it self. There is no medical procedure that can save you from a 7.62 in the head at point blank range  especially between the eyes execution style. I understand no one can force you to perma but if you do choose that for yourself then don't go back to that character. How am i supposed to enplane how someone who I've told people are dead because they were (by their own choice). Just coming back turns everything my character said into a lie. How are we supposed to explain that?

Guest Doug Quade   
Guest Doug Quade

This is a great discussion that needs to be had.   Now that we have Loremasters, perhaps there could be a running list that is kept by them as to who is perma deathed ?  Yes it is more work on their parts, but it is important to monitor.

Yeah, I have to agree on this one. Someone tells you OOC they have perma'd and you have heard so much in character that they're dead and how they died etc. And then a week later they come back, because they miss their character? It does tend to get a little frustrating, hard to roleplay out and confusing.

Tewudin    44

I agree. If this is really happening right now then yes, it should be considered as BadRP. If you accepted permadeath for you character then you aren't supposed to play it ever again. Especially if such death affected other players characters in some way. I don't know what else is there to say. Although I hope that people won't do that if that is the case. List of permadead characters? Well... it'd be a lot of work for the both Loremaster and players. I don't know. I'll abstain with my opinion on such list. I think it's a good idea but at the same time I'm not sure if anyone would be willing to put an effort into this.

Janana    28

I agree with this completely. Especially reporting the death of a character to a Lore Master. Probably a lot of work for the Lore Master (Just make a word doc of a bunch of dead people. Can't be too hard, right?) and I don't see people willing to file the death of a character. Saying you perma it just means it won't be around. That can always be taken back by the player and having the name of your character you may or may not be attached to on an official "You're Dead" list makes that official and takes away the ability to bring them back. I think the Lore Master Death List should be a thing to ensure it doesn't ruin anyone's own personal story. Trust me. Been there, experienced that. Not fun.

polarswitch    5

Why must the lore masters do it? why not just keep a thread where you announce the death of a character. If its announced there then you can't bring him back. that easy.

Janana    28

Why must the lore masters do it? why not just keep a thread where you announce the death of a character. If its announced there then you can't bring him back. that easy.

Because the Lore Masters are the Masters of Lore. And death is lore to everyone's story. Your character affects every single person on the server even if you haven't met them personally.

Hassan    378

Thank you for making this thread, I was actually thinking of making it myself.

Perma-deathed characters that are dead need to stay dead for the sake of RP. It doesn't make sense for characters to come back after they clearly died in RP and agreed to it OOC.

I do not agree with this at all. I know a lot of people that end up Perma deathing for one reason or another and then regret it not long after. If that person enjoys playing that character then let them do it. Personally i will never perma one of my characters i will only shelf them for a time till i am ready to play him again. Some people do not look far enough ahead to do this and regret it. If a character is alive or dead it is up to the player. Even if they said they are going to perma. I find it much more easy to cope with the fact that the person is alive some how then that person OOC not being able to play who they want.

Jack Allen    18

Im up for making this a rule. I haven't ran into anyone who perma deathed their character just to return to that specific character. It seems like it would be an awkward situation, specially if it was made into a big deal about the characters death. Lets say you perma death your character, and have a funeral and all for your character. Why bring him/her back?

Revilo    7

Calling Siorre Wiltshire to the thread. Siorre Wiltshire please post your point of view on this topic :troll:

Janana    28

I do not agree with this at all. I know a lot of people that end up Perma deathing for one reason or another and then regret it not long after. If that person enjoys playing that character then let them do it. Personally i will never perma one of my characters i will only shelf them for a time till i am ready to play him again. Some people do not look far enough ahead to do this and regret it. If a character is alive or dead it is up to the player. Even if they said they are going to perma. I find it much more easy to cope with the fact that the person is alive some how then that person OOC not being able to play who they want.

Perhaps they should take your advice and instead of regret perma'ing later, they should just NEVER DIE. Because that's realistic. Get shot in the head? No perma there. Die from Cholera? No perma there. Lose both your arms and die from blood loss? Pffft? Perma? Nonesense! If you're going to perma your character, do it with certainty. Be sure that it is what you want to do. If not, don't perma.

If your character dies in a logical way, I see no reason why it would be lore abiding or logical to bring them back after something like getting shot several times in the chest, losing your feet or dying from cholera. Dead is dead.

So lets take Lucy Wong as an example.She shot herself in the head and then she got buried.Wouldn't it be strange to meet her in the middle of the road next day?

When you say my character is dead it should stay that way.

-Snip-

Perhaps they should take your advice and instead of regret perma'ing later, they should just NEVER DIE. Because that's realistic. Get shot in the head? No perma there. Die from Cholera? No perma there. Lose both your arms and die from blood loss? Pffft? Perma? Nonesense!

If your character dies in a logical way, I see no reason why it would be lore abiding or logical to being them back after something like getting shot several times in the chest, losing your feet or dying from cholera. Dead is dead.

Yes but you must also remember that this is a GAME. And if someone enjoys playing a character and that is what they want to do it not going to do any harm on me. So god forbid if someone makes the mistake of making a in the moment decision that they regret a few days later. If people Perma'ed after every time they died to something in the game nobody would survive past three weeks and the whole of the human race would be gone. This is just a game and if someone want to play a character that is "dead" and they enjoy that character who am i to tell them no?

So lets take Lucy Wong as an example.She shot herself in the head and then she got buried.Wouldn't it be strange to meet her in the middle of the road next day?

When you say my character is dead it should stay that way.

I guess we look at it different ways. Im willing to make a small IG adjustment so that someone can be happy and play who they want.

Rick    19

Nope.

People have a right to do whatever they want with their characters, and having staff infringe on this would be wrong in my eyes

Meh, I personally would never bring back a perma'd character. To be honest, it really isn't as immersion breaking as executing a person, then they DON'T permadeath, then you meet them the next day all fine and dandy.

Agreed with Rick, at the end of the day this is a game for fun. It's not intended to be frustrating or strenuous.

Vandy    34

OP, you are not totally clear in your OP.

You mix permadeath up in my opinion.

It is not because someone was shot, excecute that the said person need to permadead his characther.

There is always a possibility to recover from such events.

But I do understand you

I've seen it happen to multiple characthers, broadcasting their death onto the forums. A week later they broadcast their revival. It's worth a badrp verdict on its own I think :)

Ocean    6

I have also been wanting to create this exact same thread. I agree. 

There was another thread talking about making a rule to force Permadeath in certain circumstances. Now that will never happen, it IS up to the player whether they want to perma or not. But in this case, the OP is talking about once the player themselves decides to perma, they shouldn't bring him/her back. 

Now some say in the heat of the moment they will perma, but then regret it later. Understandable. I think we should just make it more aware to people that they should consider harder when they perma a character. Don't let it get to the point where you have your friends bury you or mourn your deaths for days. 

We all know it's just a game but DayzRP does take things more seriously then just an ordinary game. As much as we are all here to just have fun, building a story is also a big part of this. To some, the story aspect is greater than having fun.  Creating a story IS the fun. I personally would take the RP of others in mind over my own. If what has happened is for the greater RP good for others, then I will keep it that way even if it means sacrificing a character of mine. 

So I think it's fair for the community to ask players to just be more aware of their decision. If you have any shred of uncertainty, do what Johnny said. Put your character on the shelf (send him up north, recovering from his injuries in a secluded house, whatever). Although for me this is also an issue sometimes, it is better then bringing back someone from perma death.

Kanye    14

That doc must be strictly ooc as many people fake deaths.

If someone permas thats their own decision not yours. -1

Yeah, no. Creating unnecessary and frivolous work for loremasters by saying it should be documented.

If someone wants to bring back their characters, so be it.

I didn't even realize this was a problem, I only remember one instance of a certain someone who didn't die cough cough ;)

But I do hope people stop doing this as it's quite silly.

Volke    132

-1 to this being enforced.

However with this said, it is complete idiocy to bring back a perma dead character IMHO especially after having been dead for weeks & months. Is it that hard to make a similar character with similar qualities rather then bring back someone from the dead who has had a funeral or a war has been started over..? This is one of the things I have trouble understanding. We argue subjects saying it's not realistic and realism is important. Yet at the same time, these same people come out saying, Oh it's just a game, people can do what they want.. No this shouldn't be enforced, but I feel great disgust when I see a perma dead character back, especially if the character has made a huge impact. The character's death should live on and I feel like bringing back the character you are disrespecting your creation and their story.

I personally feel if someone says there character is dead, keep it dead. However as many people have stated people have the freedom to bring back the dead regardless of how realistic it is especially if given ooc consent they are dead.