Server time: 2017-10-18, 02:15
Safe Zone: CLOSED

Sign in to follow this  
Sam B

The Chernarussian Language

Sam B    0

Something that i have had alot of trouble with in game is languages.

Many people speak different languages e.g. Bulgarian, Russian, Polish, and they claim they are speaking chernarussian!

This brings up the problem that breaks immersion, as people should be able to have full conversations in chernarussian, but because one is speaking russian and the other is speaking polish they aren't actually able to understand eachother. There also comes the problem of making people look stupid, like again for example, someone says they speak cherarussian and your character is native, then the person you are talking to decides to speak polish, this puts you in a difficult spot and you either have to just nod and hope for the best or say you don't understand, which tears your characters backstory apart.

Personally I believe there should be some rule supporting this as the main language being english and if you want to speak a different language it should only be short phrases that whoever you are talking to will definitely understand or if you want to have a full blown conversation in chernarussian keep it to text, using things such as - "*chernarussian* How are you?" or the sorts to indicate you are speaking another language.

If anyone else knows how this language barrier can be solved or has any useful input feel free to add on below.

Mitch    0

I completely agree, there has been numerous occasions where I've been completely confused by people having full blown discussions in "Chernarussian" which there is nothing wrong with, I mean I don't know Chernarususian anyway - but what I don't agree with is people using filler languages to make up for Chernarussian. I've asked several people what language their actually speaking and have had different responses every time, some Russian, some Bulgarian. While it sounds good that you can speak more then one language it's awfully confusing - especially if one person speaks in Russian claiming it's Chernarussian and the other speaking in Bulgarian making the same claims. Really hope there can be some clarification on this.

Guest K-Jack   
Guest K-Jack

The Chernarussian language is Czech. If people are speaking languages other than Czech and claim to be speaking Chernarussian then call them out on it. You dont need to know Czech to RP as a chernarussian but you should also not speak other languages and just pretend it's Chernarussian. In these situations it's best to text rp "*Speaks in chernarussian to Vlad* Hello how are you?*"

Something that i have had alot of trouble with in game is languages.

Many people speak different languages e.g. Bulgarian, Russian, Polish, and they claim they are speaking chernarussian!

This brings up the problem that breaks immersion, as people should be able to have full conversations in chernarussian, but because one is speaking russian and the other is speaking polish they aren't actually able to understand eachother. There also comes the problem of making people look stupid, like again for example, someone says they speak cherarussian and your character is native, then the person you are talking to decides to speak polish, this puts you in a difficult spot and you either have to just nod and hope for the best or say you don't understand, which tears your characters backstory apart.

Personally I believe there should be some rule supporting this as the main language being english and if you want to speak a different language it should only be short phrases that whoever you are talking to will definitely understand or if you want to have a full blown conversation in chernarussian keep it to text, using things such as - "*chernarussian* How are you?" or the sorts to indicate you are speaking another language.

If anyone else knows how this language barrier can be solved or has any useful input feel free to add on below.

If you are planing to play as a Chernarussian i advice you to read this amazing thread:

http://www.dayzrp.com/t-How-to-be-a-Chernarussian

Another advice is (what i'm doing) that i use two monitors and on the second one i have typical phrases in Czech language with translation (you can print it or have it on tablet/phone ofcourse).

But like others said you can ofcourse do text RP. Not knowing Czech language is not that bad like RPing as a Chernarussian and not knowing a capitol name, basics history about civil war, Chedakis, NAPA, USMC etc.

Guest Neszy   
Guest Neszy

The Chernarussian language is Czech.

40% close,  but no cigar (or pizza, in your case). 

The Chernarussian language is a lot like Czech (40% like Czech, in fact) and the rest is something we can only presume to be Russian-influenced Czech or... something to that capacity. Nobody's quite sure because nobody can actually speak Chernarussian.

For all intensive purposes, what we perceive and call "the Chernarussian language" is actually just Czech (K-Jack gets half a pizza for his answer). In Bohemia's world, Chernarussian is a language that is (probably) mutually intelligible with the Czech language with some added garble (and a thick accent). 

So realistically, everyone you're meeting who thinks that Chernarussian is Polish or something is a complete fucking moron! Polish is Polish! Russian is Russian! Czech is Czech (and Chernarussian)! 

The only exception here might be Russian because much of the North of Chernarus (and South Zagoria especially) speak Russian; some of the more ignorant ones may believe that Russian is the "true" language of Chernarus.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-20392-1422840785-34.gif

The next time someone tries to talk Polish or Bulgarian at you instead of true Chernarussian, punch them in their puny face and scream "THE LOREMASTERS HATE YOU!"

Don't actually do that, by the way.

punch them in their puny face and scream "THE LOREMASTERS HATE YOU!" 

Don't actually do that, by the way.

Can i do the same thing with people who don't know history of Chernarus and which say that capitol of Chernarus is "Cherno" but they say that they are native born Chernarussians? :3

Troll-face.png

Vandy    34

This is the sole reason why we love Loremasters.

Thanks for your clarifying answer Neszy!

The Chernarussian tongue, so to speak, is a lot like Czech but it's rather more of a dialect of the Czech language (in theory), think of it more as the Serbo-Croatian language, here in the Balkans we can all understand each other perfectly fine, it's just that we have different dialects, along with only a couple of different words which are all understandable. For example Croatians say 'kruh' which means bread, whilst we say 'hleb' in Serbia, but I understand both perfectly fine and so does 90% of Serbia I think.

Now if someone was speaking Czech that would be as close as possible to coming to Chernarussian. As there is no official "Chernarussian" language, all we know is that the base of the language is Czech with some influence from Russian due to the close proximity or Russia to Chernarus.

Now if someone is speaking Serbo-Croatian/Polish/Bulgarian and ESPECIALLY RUSSIAN, call them out on it. Feel free to do it, because Bulgarian is Bulgarian, Polish is Polish in our fictional universe of Chernarus as well. And Russian is Russian, and if anyone has ever played the ArmA 2 campaign or even just heard the radio chatter voices of the ChDKZ insurgents who speak Russian, compared to CDF Soldiers who speak Czech (Yes even Bohemia used just Czech at it's basic level without any modifications as Chernarussian.) you can clearly see the difference between the two.

What I personally do if I want to insult someone, or even have a conversation IG with someone who understands Czech, I would speak in Czech and if I forgot a word in Czech I would say it in Serbian to be fluent. Now this might not be the best thing, but from what I found out 90% of the time it turns out to be correct due to the similarities between the Slavic languages.

So by theory Chernarussian is a dialect of Czech which has influence from the Russian language. In practice Chernarussians is just like Czech, without any differences that are noticeable from my perspective at least, but then again I learnt Czech from the Czech people who live in Serbia and they might have a different dialect or something but I really don't see them having any trouble with the Czechs from the Czech Republic/Bohemia Region.

So feel free to call out someone who are not speaking Czech and is using their native tongue, whether it is Bulgarian or Polish and if it is especially RUSSIAN, I swear to God people I will fucking torture you and do many horrible things if I see someone speaking Russian and saying it's Chernarussian. I've done it before and I'll gladly do it again, us nationalists DO NOT approve of that.

IF YOU DON'T KNOW CZECH/CHERNARUSSIAN DO NOT SPEAK OTHER SLAVIC LANGUAGES AND PRETEND THAT THEY ARE CHERNARUSSIAN. Because if we are around and we spot that, ohh my friend you will not have a good time, especially since a couple of us understand Russian and Czech so we will spot if you are just blabbering gibberish in another language other then Czech.

My best advice, if you don't know the language, learn some phrases and write them down, or stick to TextRP *speaks in Chernarussian* type of thing so it would be easier for other 'Chernarussians' to understand what you are saying, which can lead to more interesting RP.

Davos    5

Although the in-game fictional language is a combination, the language that should be used is English, correct? Immersion or no to be part of the site and server you are supposed to use english to communicate in game aren't you?

Chow    45

-Snip

Remember that Polish and Czech share some words, like Kurwa.

But still, alot of Pizza here.

Nilin    10

Thanks for clarifying a few issues up, and excellent post by Neszy.. really useful information in here so thanks!

Mitch    0

Although the in-game fictional language is a combination, the language that should be used is English, correct? Immersion or no to be part of the site and server you are supposed to use english to communicate in game aren't you?

I'd agree with this, it'd be more pleasant to hear english in general though I can see why it's not an enforced rule.

Murdercool    29

People that go round calling themselves 'Chernarussian' that speak Russian aren't technically wrong either. In Chernarus you would have the Ethnic Russians in the north. Most likely you'd' have 'Chernarussian' people who lived up North of South Zagoria and speak Russian because they lived alongside Russians. So I assume there would be a loud of controversy about what language is the correct language, Chernarussian or Russian.

Unknown Entity    126

I'd actually like to disagree with this right here:

It's Chernarus, hence people would mainly speak Chernarussian. Although the server is full of english speaking (westerners or not), this does not mean it should be forced to speak english, if anything there would be more Chernarussians then english speaking people. Hence why I'd see it : Chernarussian is the language that should be used.

OOCly I can understand, however IC, I see no issue at all of people who speak native tongues to speak them, except when communicating with you. Hell not all Chernarussians would have learned english, it would be much more probable for an english speaker to not understand most of the current survivors in Chernarus.

How could anyone see Chernorussian as similar to Polish? I mean, looking at the map it's so far far away from it, and I never saw in the Lore anywhere that there was a significant amount of Polish immigrants in Chernarus, so where the heck does it come from? :D

and btw Chech language isn't that much similar to Polish, I remember Chech people (like clerks in the mall, im not generalizing!!) didn't understand a word of neither Polish or English.

It's Chernarus, hence people would mainly speak Chernarussian. Although the server is full of english speaking (westerners or not), this does not mean it should be forced to speak english, if anything there would be more Chernarussians then english speaking people. Hence why I'd see it : Chernarussian is the language that should be used.

OOCly I can understand, however IC, I see no issue at all of people who speak native tongues to speak them, except when communicating with you. Hell not all Chernarussians would have learned english, it would be much more probable for an english speaker to not understand most of the current survivors in Chernarus.

Exacly. I remember when i met someone who was RPing as a Chernarussian so i started to talking in Cech/Chernarussian. Then some woman told me that this is rude to talk in foreign language :D I was close to shot her.

Davos    5

I am mostly saying this as the language, although based on other languages is a fictional mixture of other languages, but it is a requirement to speak it on the servers so that players can understand your intentions. If you have a grasp on other languages and want to chat back and forth with other people who have the capability of speaking it with you, fine, but the point was that it is not necessarily "English" being spoken, it is simply the most commonly understood language for the players to communicate with each other.

The common IC language would be Chernarussian (Chernorussian depending on who decides to read this) however, the spoken language (OOC) should be a neutral language understood by everyone. Accents are fine, and emotes indicating that they are speaking in their native language is fine, but if people are allowed to do this, we all know that people will start making demands in these languages that players can't understand, and then initiations lead to KoS rights, and so forth.

TLDR; If you and your friends can speak the "language" go ahead, but there have been multiple rulings that say that you should be using English on the servers when people walk up to you, and especially if attempting to commit hostile action. Chernarussian is neat, but English is the OOC language that should be used.