Server time: 2017-08-16, 23:52

Sign in to follow this  
JDoberman

Windows 10?

JDoberman    44

If you didn't know, you can reserve a copy of Windows 10 for a whole year which is free.

I was wondering if I was going to download it or not.

Is anyone else?

(Currently got Win7)

Samaritan    246

So what happens after the year?

I have noticed that little icon on my screen but haven't really paid too much attention to it as yet. I'll look into it more next week, then make a more informed decision. Thoughts from others in the community would also be appreciated.

JDoberman    44

I have noticed that little icon on my screen but haven't really paid too much attention to it as yet. I'll look into it more next week, then make a more informed decision. Thoughts from others in the community would also be appreciated.

You get a copy of Windows 10 for a whole year, and if you never take it, then you have to buy it. It's free for a year basically, if reserved.

It's a full install, and permanent.

Janana    28

You get a copy of Windows 10 for a whole year, and if you never take it, then you have to buy it. It's free for a year basically, if reserved.

Yupyup!

Samaritan    246

Sorry I should have been a little more clear. What I mean is, after the year is up you then have to buy it? So the choice is don't reserve it and stick with Windows 7 or 8 and buy it if you want to upgrade or reserve it then you have to buy it after the year is up? In both cases you will eventually need to buy it. It all depends on how long they will support Windows 7/8 I suppose. I did hear that Windows 10 will be the last on they do and just up date things as they go after that.

Rolle    2440

No, if you reserve it within a year from release, you keep it for free forever. Your Windows 7/8 key is then given additional license for Windows 10, so you use the same key for both.

I will be switching as soon as retail ISOs are available. I don't have a copy of Windows 7 unfortunately, I'll just run on trial period :D

Samaritan    246

No, if you reserve it within a year from release, you keep it for free forever. Your Windows 7/8 key is then given additional license for Windows 10, so you use the same key for both.

I will be switching as soon as retail ISOs are available. I don't have a copy of Windows 7 unfortunately, I'll just run on trial period :D

Thanks for the clarification Rolle...seeing your response I take it you are advising to switch to Windows 10?

JDoberman    44

The release date is July 29th, next week, so.

Rolle    2440

Thanks for the clarification Rolle...seeing your response I take it you are advising to switch to Windows 10?

I used the customer preview and was really happy with it, despite it being a beta. I only had some issues with one or two Steam games, everything else worked fine. I think as soon as the final version releases new drivers will release and games will patch up to support it and everything will be working fine.

JDoberman    44

I used the customer preview and was really happy with it, despite it being a beta. I only had some issues with one or two Steam games, everything else worked fine. I think as soon as the final version releases new drivers will release and games will patch up to support it and everything will be working fine.

Customer preview? How?

Chronic    0

I never got windows 8 because it was shit tbh, but windows 10 actually looks decent so I reserved a copy

Janana    28

One would hope that Windows 10 is the functional baby of all previous functional Windows OS's.

Windows 7 for lyfe.

Debian for life.

Owen    13

Going to try it. If not, revert back to 7. Ezz pezz

I'll stick to Windows 7 until I am forced to switch to anything else. Plus I never bought Windows, us in the Balkans have our own ehhmmm 'provider' for Windows copies.

I might give it a shot on my other computer or laptop but not this one.

Tewudin    44

I'll probably stick with my Windows 7 until at least I'll be forced to switch to some newer version. I really like Win 7 and I'm not so eager to try out Win 10.

Windows 10 preview destroyed my computer. My audio jack in the front doesn't work, A speakers I have won't appear, and Occasionally my second monitor will just turn off and not want to be detected anymore (Only can fix it with a restart)

I want windows 7 back

JDoberman    44

Well it is a preview. heh.

Windows 10 preview destroyed my computer. My audio jack in the front doesn't work, A speakers I have won't appear, and Occasionally my second monitor will just turn off and not want to be detected anymore (Only can fix it with a restart)

I want windows 7 back

So it's here... Took me a half hour to get my primary monitor to work and my DAC to actually send audio through to my headphones.

Caeldon    1

Installed Windows 10 on 3 of my computers. (Main PC, Laptop, Media PC) Haven't ran into any issues so far.

Snafu    4

-snip because it literally just appeared at that second-