Server time: 2017-10-21, 14:01
Safe Zone: CLOSED

Sign in to follow this  
Talon

Impersonation

Question

Talon    5

Okay I was shown the thread about impersonating a group is not okay but how am I supposed to know that if it's not in the official DayzRP rules? Thanks

-Talon

19 answers to this question

Good question! I guess its one of those things experienced players sortoff expect newbies to magically know. I feel it should be mentioned somewhere though.

Basoon    15

This rule really should be common sense, mainly because we have baiting rules in place. When you do this you grant false KoS rights on a group, as well as a false hostile history which can lead to execution rights. The reason that impersonating a group is against the rules is for that reason, it is in a way baiting against others.

You also must consider the fact that you are power gaming the other group when you do this, saying that they stand for something they may not stand for.

Does this answer your question?

Dustin    0

This goes along side this question, now their are "spys" in some groups right, all IC stuff guy belongs to one group but say he is in another being a spy, wouldn't this cause false KOS rights and whatnot also? As say peson has no clue who person is could be in said group.

Sasha    0

This rule really should be common sense, mainly because we have baiting rules in place. When you do this you grant false KoS rights on a group, as well as a false hostile history which can lead to execution rights.  The reason that impersonating a group is against the rules is for that reason, it is in a way baiting against others.

You also must consider the fact that you are power gaming the other group when you do this, saying that they stand for something they may not stand for.

Does this answer your question?

That isn't powergaming at all though. You can say and lie about anything you want IC as long as it doesn't cause OOC problems. Ie. false KOS rights and similar issues with the rules.

It is not at all powergaming to lie and say that for example the Chedaki flays people alive for eating holy chickens. It's a lie and propaganda. All IC and perfectly fine.

Talon    5

Thanks for the feed back I now have a better understanding about it. Although I feel as if it really should be stated in the rules like you are not allowed to impersonate a group other wise I wouldn't know it was against the rules. I also can't seem to find the baiting part in the rules either am I looking in the wrong place?

-Talon

Shark    0

j4kUi.png

You are baiting to giving someone invalid KOS rights by impersonating another group that does actually exist.

Yes, it's also on the shooter to identify targets before shooting, but two wrongs do not make a right.

Basoon    15

That isn't powergaming at all though. You can say and lie about anything you want IC as long as it doesn't cause OOC problems. Ie. false KOS rights and similar issues with the rules.

It is not at all powergaming to lie and say that for example the Chedaki flays people alive for eating holy chickens. It's a lie and propaganda. All IC and perfectly fine.

There is a big difference in spreading rumors IC about a group, which is allowed, and committing actions under that groups flag so to speak.  Groups are required to abide by the goals they put in their thread, and can be subject to criticism if they don't, as we have seen before.

Talon    5

How am I supposed to know that, if it's not in the official DayzRP rules? Although it was one of those things that is not directly stated it is more of the figure it out type of thing. Which I feel is unfair. Thanks

-Talon

Rampage    0

We dont have to state every little thing in the rules. Common sense would dictate that granting KOS right against a group through lying IC is not only dick move, but just bad sportsmanship. You can lie about your group, you can give a fake name. Heck you can even lie about a person or group. Just dont do anything that would unfairly grant KOS rights against them. Would you enjoy getting killed for no reason because I robbed someone and said I was your "characters name". I highly doubt you would. So dont do that to other people.

/solving but feel free to continue discussion if you wish

Basoon    15

I am sorry that you feel it is unfair.  There are so many possible rule infractions that we cannot possibly list all of them, or the rules would be far too difficult to grasp.  Reading solved reports is a great way to brush up on these rule breaks that may be less obvious to some.  Players must always consider the possibilities when they perform an action, and when in doubt, ask first.

Edit: Rampai2fast5me

Shark    0

Well, there was a conscious decision to either make the rules simple but somewhat vague as opposed to complex and thorough.

This opens things up to interpretation, but still having rules that will cover 99% of situations. Common sense comes into play with that 1%.

-Rampage2fast-

Sasha    0

There is a big difference in spreading rumors IC about a group, which is allowed, and committing actions under that groups flag so to speak.  Groups are required to abide by the goals they put in their thread, and can be subject to criticism if they don't, as we have seen before.

Which does not make it powergaming at all. They are impersonating them, they are not in any way powergaming them. It is a completely different rule they are violating, one which has no relevance to powergaming.

Talon    5

I still feel it is unfair to say the least, expecting me or anyone else to know you're not supposed to impersonate even tho we may have just said it for a joke.

-Talon

Thumper    0

I have poked everyone in TS. We are all going to go around robbing people with the name Talon Tame. When they shoot you for no reason, we will have them specify it in the rules.

Seriously: Not really, but you can hopefully see where common sense comes in now. Its unfair to those you impersonate.

Talon    5

I have poked everyone in TS. We are all going to go around robbing people with the name Talon Tame. When they shoot you for no reason, we will have them specify it in the rules.

Seriously: Not really, but you can hopefully see where common sense comes in now. Its unfair to those you impersonate.

They wont be able to specify it in the rules because impersonation is not in the rules, it is something you are supposed to, you're supposed to go to school, you're supposed to do good in school, you're supposed to get job, you're supposed to have common sense (which sounds to me in recent post I have none of) I guess I'm a beast of burdens.

Trust me I see now that it is unfair to those I impersonated I just didn't see that at the time all I needed was some clarification thanks.

-Talon

hmm.. Impersonating someone who is actually in game? Sound a bit unsportmanish, and that's coming from the scumbag asian of the reapers. Try going by different names, fake alias instead of using someone's name in game and actually impersonating them.

Talon    5

It was just a one time thing I did out of pure excitement I had a little bit of a big ego at the time. It was late at night no one was on I think 10 people where on the server so It was just a spur of the moment I do not do this regularly I do feel it is a shit thing to do and apologize I can only learn from my actions and move forward.

-Talon

Goku    63

I agree with everyone here that it is poor sportmanship and a dick move to lie about who you are and which group you are, however if you were to think about it in a real life scenario, if one group you had come across had wronged you by killing memebers of your group or had killed a loved one or a friend, you would if you had the chance attack another group using the same name in order to destroy the group that had wronged you in the first place.