Server time: 2017-10-17, 07:54
Safe Zone: CLOSED

Sign in to follow this  
Johnny

Tip for the newcomers.

Johnny    0

This is one of the best tips i can give to newcomers. When IG don't focus to much on your back story. Yes back story can be a awesome tool to fuel IC reactions but there is nothing worst then when i'm asking someone who they are and they just pretty much read me off the story form the app they used to get into the community. Let your character build his back story through experience and travel. One of my favorite character i ever have made is Johnny Denver and i never ever made a back story for him. I let my action mold my character not my back story. That is the point im trying to get across. Dont worry to much about the back story. Let the action you take and then things that happen to you mold your story. Take a risk sometimes. Go talk to the they creepy people in novy, Run to the gun fire (Without a gun out), Go for a hike with the creepy girl with the teddy bear, Say hi to the five guys with clown masks. Only when you do stuff like this will you character truly build a identity.

This is one of the best tips i can give to newcomers. When IG don't focus to much on your back story. Yes back story can be a awesome tool to fuel IC reactions but there is nothing worst then when i'm asking someone who they are and they just pretty much read me off the story form the app they used to get into the community. Let your character build his back story through experience and travel. One of my favorite character i ever have made is Johnny Denver and i never ever made a back story for him. I let my action mold my character not my back story. That is the point im trying to get across. Dont worry to much about the back story. Let the action you take and then things that happen to you mold your story. Take a risk sometimes. Go talk to the they creepy people in novy, Run to the gun fire (Without a gun out), Go for a hike with the creepy girl with the teddy bear, Say hi to the five guys with clown masks. Only when you do stuff like this will you character truly build a identity.

THIS. +1 in a bun. 

Johnny is absolutely right here. I wrote a really complex guide that is way too long saying what he said in a paragraph. But basically, you don't have to start with a backstory. It's okay to just start with action, things that will drive dynamic experiences in game and propel new interactions and storylines. I heart this. Take this advice. If you want to work a little backstory in as you talk to the creepy guy in Novy, go for it, but start by doing.

OFA-Faux    4

Within the first week Dr. Pierce was a completely different person from when i started him off.

I find it is easier to start with a simple back story; where you grew up, education, employment etc.

Then as your character develops and you know how you want to play them its ok to retcon the back story.

Also from table top experience its generally a good idea to make the depth of the back story proportionately with how long you intend for this character to be around.

Tewudin    44

I've to admit that you do have a point. It's better when you develop your own backstory during game. Although, I've to point out that when people start to play as a new character then they should at least have some bacis informations about him or her, like "how did she end up in Chernarus" or "How he was before the outbreak" etc. Just basics and the rest maybe will come out later. Anyway, I found this guide helpful but I already decided to do things this way. :)

Johnny    0

I've to admit that you do have a point. It's better when you develop your own backstory during game. Although, I've to point out that when people start to play as a new character then they should at least have some bacis informations about him or her, like "how did she end up in Chernarus" or "How he was before the outbreak" etc. Just basics and the rest maybe will come out later. Anyway, I found this guide helpful but I already decided to do things this way. :)

Like i said back ground is a great tool. But it should not be your main driving point once you have been around for a little. Sure your main goal might be to find your daughter at all cost but that does not mean your IG actions will not change your way of going about it. Back story is a great way to get your foot in the door. But you can become so much more if you are willing to go with the flow. Thanks for the comment man.

Tewudin    44

Like i said back ground is a great tool. But it should not be your main driving point once you have been around for a little. Sure your main goal might be to find your daughter at all cost but that does not mean your IG actions will not change your way of going about it. Back story is a great way to get your foot in the door. But you can become so much more if you are willing to go with the flow. Thanks for the comment man.

Yes, I guess you're right. I agree, the backstory is a great tool to explain some things like "How did he/she end up here?" or it may even keep your character going like "he's looking for his daughter", like you said. Backstory is a good thing but once you're IG it's better to focus on developing your character further due to the events, actions, decisions and everything you encounter during his or her journey. 

P.S No problem. I like to comment when I think I may have something to say. ;)

Septimus    23

I agree with some of the things here but in order to develop your character, you need a structure or skeleton for the character you want to build of course. The basics from his/her date of birth, to the city he grew up in and a reason that makes sense - you arriving or being a resident of the once up and running country. In-character interactions is what make you and your character become one, genuine emotions and everything that involves the creation of a character that has experienced things influence and make the roleplay what it is.

The Marshal    353

I enjoyed this, thank you

Jabba    0

It is the way you develop your character which makes Role Play fun for me.

Guest Mak   
Guest Mak

After some time your character has been around, the backstory doesn't matter anymore that much does it? My character is so different compared to when I started, the whole character development makes it so that based on your experiences during that time, your guy changes drastically in certain ways; I'd say it's fine to share you backstory (a little bit) at first.

Zev    1

This was a big help to me. I am currently drafting a backstory and may have got slightly carried away..

Pussy    377

I agree to a point. 

You definitely need some basics in order to bullshit your way through a conversation. Because people WILL ask questions like: "How old are you?", "What did you do before the infection?", and "What brought you here?". Knowing the answers to those questions is definitely important, but from that point on I'd say feel free to build your character based on what happens to them in game, and not with what happened before the infection.

Papa Tachanka    42

I agree to a point. 

You definitely need some basics in order to bullshit your way through a conversation. Because people WILL ask questions like: "How old are you?", "What did you do before the infection?", and "What brought you here?". Knowing the answers to those questions is definitely important, but from that point on I'd say feel free to build your character based on what happens to them in game, and not with what happened before the infection.

Agree completely. Although whatever you did pre-apocalypse can definitely give people more lean on trusting your Character  (from my experience) ND you have some gravitas.

Hyborith    0

A good Lie contains truth. anyone not used to being in-character. might want to incorporate some real life traits into their character. i mean am scottish. and pulling off an accent is a nightmare.

The absolute best tip i can give anyone completely new to RP is to play the observer. attend group events. ask folks if you can team up with them. learn from the other players by action... just hearing other players speak will help teach you how to mold into the role

After all Actions speak louder than words.

Sign in to follow this