Server time: 2017-08-17, 08:10

Sign in to follow this  
TLake

uncomfortable rp

Question

TLake    23

I was wondering if there was a way around 'Badrp' or 'NVFL' rule if the rp in question was uncomfortable to you as a person?  I am just asking because of my recent expierance with slave rp and well my lack of fun and disgust with the whole event.  The only person who had fun was the sadists involved, I had no fun roleplaying it and towards the end wanted them to just kill me.  I'm not trying to start anything I'm just wondering for future reference is there anything I can do?

35 answers to this question

Well, if you feel the RP was bad then yeah, you should report it, but don't forget just because some people RP in one way or another doesn't mean it's necessarily bad, everyone got their own taste and preferences when it comes to RP, some people like playing a psychopath and some are better than others of course but if it was "disgusting" as you mentioned I think you should at least open a report discussion.

Rick    19

Some people's RP isn't for everybody, as everybody has different likes and dislikes. To say that one person could avoid one type of RP, would invite everybody to simply avoid the types they do not like (which I have a feeling would mostly be bandit RP).

If it makes you feel uncomfortable, then I suppose that's slightly different then simply not liking it, however the same ramifications apply as stated above. Your best bet would be to try and RP your way out of it, find some reason for them to not enslave you.

To directly answer your question, no, there is no work around the rule.

Guest Mak   
Guest Mak

Well, in theory they should always ask for OOC permission to keep you as their slave, so my suggestion would simply be to say "no" next time they ask you something like that (I'm supposing they did ask you, I don't know).

But this is only regarding slave rp, don't really have any tip for general uncomfortable RP

Edit:please correct me if I'm wrong

TLake    23

-snip-

I had the feeling there wasn't, if this happens again I will try what you suggested. Thanks for the response. I just needed clarification I wouldn't want to be in violation of 'badrp'.

Janana    28

Yeah maybe I shouldn't label it 'uncomfortable rp' because that is subjective.  I just wanted to know if there was an out next time slavers come along without ending up being banned.

Try your best to RP with them when and or if they should show up. If you straight up ignore or run away fro them, they can get you for Avoiding RP so be careful of that. If it truly makes you uncomfortable then it's probably best you just avoid it. Just don't be obvious about avoiding it. Perhaps you can message them OOCly and ask them to consider your standpoint and opinion and go from there.

There is some RP out there that makes me uncomfortable as well but it's not like when it shows up I just turn round and spring in the other direction. Be polite, and wiggle away. ^^

TLake    23

-snip-

-snip

Thank you for the advice I'll probably end up doing it. Kinda funny that I a Jackal would find slave rp uncomfortable, but world is strange place now no? If I ever get caught again I'll rp along, but try and disconnect myself from the rp. I think I got far to into my character and took it way to personal.

Spartan    986

Rick gave you the correct answer to your question.

Do you feel like your question has been answered with the answers and advices you revieved, TLake?

TLake    23

Rick gave you the correct answer to your question.

Do you feel like your question has been answered with the answers and advices you revieved, TLake?

Yes I do thank you guys for clearing it all up. Also no one must know my weakness, I was never here. I will deny ever being here. (I got jokes)

Terra    1362

Well, in theory they should always ask for OOC permission to keep you as their slave

Since when do I have to ask in a hostage situation if someone is OK with it being a slave?

A hostage situation can be fun and it should be the goal for a hostage keeper to make the event enjoyable for everyone.

However, I also was a slave once, I just had to play along. And if you are willing to play along, it is also on you to make it fun and enjoyable. RP is not a "one way"- thing. You get and you give in return.

If you dont like it, if you feel uncomfortable, I suggest to play along and then talk to the person. Feedback should be given so someone can change his RP. There is no other option I´m afraid.

If you, for example, would refuse to RP, then you might get reported for BadRP. I´m a fan of talking things out, so talk to the guys and girls. And if it is not possible, join Staff-channel in Ts - explain your situation and we can assist in the situation.

Resento    6

I was wondering if there was a way around 'Badrp' or 'NVFL' rule if the rp in question was uncomfortable to you as a person?  I am just asking because of my recent expierance with slave rp and well my lack of fun and disgust with the whole event.  The only person who had fun was the sadists involved, I had no fun roleplaying it and towards the end wanted them to just kill me.  I'm not trying to start anything I'm just wondering for future reference is there anything I can do?

In my humble opinion you shouldn't have tolerated this. This isn't about you "roleplaying for winning" and not having much fun losing in a simple robbery scenario. This is about you, the player behind the screen, being disgusted by the actions forced on your character and actually going as far as hoping for your character to get killed to get it over with, when you, a reminder to everyone, are here to have fun in your free time and not to suffer.

This

We employ a zero tolerance policy towards those who engage in racist, rape, immature or otherwise abusive role play. Such actions are grounds for permanent removal from this server

undoubtedly applies to your case and if it doesn't then I find it completely ludicrous that rape roleplay is not allowed but disgusting slave roleplay is.

Guest Vittoria   
Guest Vittoria

undoubtedly applies to your case and if it doesn't then I find it completely ludicrous that rape roleplay is not allowed but disgusting slave roleplay is.

Slave RP is not against the rules, depending on how drastic it is. There is a huge difference between "rape" and "slavery".

RP is a two way street, if someone is roleplaying something that you do not enjoy, you'll either have to go OOC (perferbly afterwards) with the situation to find a solution, or deal with it as it is. If your not enjoying it, and your just letting yourself die because you don't, it will be an outcome of nobody enjoying it.

Janana    28

Slave RP is not against the rules, depending on how drastic it is. There is a huge difference between "rape" and "slavery".

RP is a two way street, if someone is roleplaying something that you do not enjoy, you'll either have to go OOC (perferbly afterwards) with the situation to find a solution, or deal with it as it is. If your not enjoying it, and your just letting yourself die because you don't, it will be an outcome of nobody enjoying it.

I consider Slave-RP unnecessary and immature but that's just me. :P

It is the apocalypse though. :|

Resento    6

If so, then how come some examples from the rule I quoted, notably rape, still are not allowed, instead of just telling players to "deal with it", too?

Actually, that's a rhetorical question. Rape roleplay is not allowed because, inter alia, there is the potential that any of the players involved in this gruesome roleplay have experienced it in their lives and forcing this type of roleplay on them would re-traumatize them and then again, they are here to have fun, not to suffer in their free time.

Where is the line drawn? Who is a person to get to say "this type of roleplay is too much for players so we'll disallow that, but that type isn't"?

Hollows    410

I'm a firm believer in cause and effect RP. Where, you do something and something happens as a result for it, ICly. So, if you did something to piss these people off, then they made you their slave because of it... It would be your fault and you'd have to reap what you sow. For every action, there is a consequence.

However, if it were a random initiation and you became a slave without prior history or reason other than,"I want a slave," it becomes a different story. In this case, assuming it was random, if you believe an RP to be inadequate, inappropriate or nonexistent, make a report, or talk it out in TS3 preferably. However, some people RP differently than others, so it really depends on how you work it out between the other party. I'll say what the Staff usually tells me: If you have reason to question the event, just make a report.

Guest Vittoria   
Guest Vittoria

If so, then how come some examples from the rule I quoted, notably rape, still are not allowed, instead of just telling players to "deal with it", too?

Actually, that's a rhetorical question. Rape roleplay is not allowed because, inter alia, there is the potential that any of the players involved in this gruesome roleplay have experienced it in their lives and forcing this type of roleplay on them would re-traumatize them and then again, they are here to have fun, not to suffer in their free time.

Where is the line drawn? Who is a person to get to say "this type of roleplay is too much for players so we'll disallow that, but that type isn't"?

Players have the ability to be offended by anything in-game because of trauma that could have happened to them in real life. If someone pointed a gun at you, and took your wallet in real life, you now could be traumatized by robberies. With your logic, now we can't allow robberies in a roleplaying apocolypse environment because somebody might be traumatized by it.

Hex    31

The line is drawn at rape and the staff are the people who get to say what is alright and what is not....pretty simple.

Rape has and always will be against the rules, there is no 'fun' way to RP rape. In robberies, the person(s) being robbed usually doesnt have an amazing time, but the RP between the robber and the person being robbed should and usually does result in a decent time for all parties involved....though some do get a little salty after losing gear.

In all honesty, if your uncomfortable with slavery or other harsh yet still possible things happening in the brutal world of the apocalypse then perhaps DayZ is not for you, maybe Hello Kitty Online Adventure?

Resento    6

Players have the ability to be offended by anything in-game because of trauma that could have happened to them in real life. If someone pointed a gun at you, and took your wallet in real life, your now could be traumatized by robberies. With that logic, now can't allow robberies in a roleplaying apocolypse environment because somebody might be traumatized by it.

Also, the defenition of slave, and hostage should be taken into account. Bassically, anyone you take under your control to roleplay with, lets say after a robbery, is bassically a slave.

The line is drawn at rape and the staff are the people who get to say what is alright and what is not....pretty simple.

Rape has and always will be against the rules, there is no 'fun' way to RP rape. In robberies, the person(s) being robbed usually doesnt have an amazing time, but the RP between the robber and the person being robbed should and usually does result in a decent time for all parties involved....though some do get a little salty after losing gear.

And yet, no one is comparing getting your wallet snatched to getting raped or being a slave. If 'slave' is a synonym to you two for 'hostage' or 'robbery victim' then really I'm wasting my time in this thread.

In all honesty, if your uncomfortable with slavery or other harsh yet still possible things happening in the brutal world of the apocalypse then perhaps DayZ is not for you, maybe Hello Kitty Online Adventure?

Completely out of context, but thank you for your suggestion. Also if you are too comfortable with gruesome types of roleplay like rape (which in no way has anything to do with the apocalypse), perhaps DayZ is too boring for you.

Guest Vittoria   
Guest Vittoria

And yet, no one is comparing getting your wallet snatched to getting raped or being a slave. If 'slave' is a synonym to you two for 'hostage' or 'robbery victim' then really I'm wasting my time in this thread.

Then I don't see your point. Bottom line, the line is drawn where staff feels it should be drawn. And with that, slavery is ok.

On another note, if I take a guy under my command at gunpoint after I robbed him, and make him chop down a few trees. He is basically a slave. Though that comment alone is a touchy topic and therefore i snipped the original comment.

Autumn    121

Being a slave, and a hostage are two entirely different things and should be treated as such. One is... more common in DayZRP, take them as a hostage, negotiate, let free/maim/execute (Pick one.). Being a slave in-game is not my idea of 'Fun and enjoyable' RP. In fact it is quite the opposite. I see it as base and vile from an OOC standpoint. But from another OOC standpoint... How fun is it to chop trees for someone? Or carry their sh*t? And if you resist, you can be executed and most likely the report will come up as NVFL against you.

While a two way street, I think their needs to be a line drawn between a slave and a hostage. They are not and will not be the same. 

Also: Avoid posting comments that could be seen as flamy and offensive. Keep the thread clean and threat eachother with respect.

Revilo    7

if anything makes you feel uncomfortable, dont hesitate. i'd go OOC and tell them either tone it down or let me leave, its probibly been said time and time again on the thread but thats what i'd do.

Guest Doug Quade   
Guest Doug Quade

Guys let's stay on topic and not flame or insult each other.  Keep the discussion civil please .  Thanks :)

Autumn    121

Guys let's stay on topic and not flame or insult each other.  Keep the discussion civil please .  Thanks :)

This^

Absolutely though, there needs to be a safeword or a disconnect if something goes to far. Rp should be 'enjoyable' for both parties involved. If someone does not want to be a slave, does not have the time to rp out as a slave, or is not okay being a slave, it should be communicated OOC and made clear prior. 

Seeing as when you are a slave, you probably won't have a gun or opportunity to effectively fight back against your 'owners' (Sorry very uncomfortable for me to say). It could be considered NVFL if you do so with an axe, a spear or some type of farming tool. Then there is a report, etc.

Defiance    96

The best thing to do would be to find out their names, then let one of your brothers know.

We will come for you.