Server time: 2017-08-23, 02:34

Sign in to follow this  
Nikolai B.

Question about NLR and accidents.

Nikolai B.    0

As you can see in this report:

http://www.dayzrp.com/t-id-check-then-runover

A person was killed by complete accident.

However, accidents do happen in RL.

Why does NLR not apply to accidents? In the thread I linked, the killers are not supposed to know of the victims "new incarnation", and the victim should have no knowledge of who ran him over, or that he was run over at all.

Am I missing something? Does the fact this was an accident prevent NLR from being relevant? Or is it something else?

The context is, of course, his gear.

Accidents happen in RL, but the problem is that in-game pretty much all accidents happen because of game mechanics. In this case lag maybe. Or weird acceleration. So his death can be placed in the list of "bug-deaths".

Anyway, don't you think we should forget the NLR if we can do something nice? He didn't deserve to get run over, for whatever reason it happened. And what would you like to see happening? Him reporting us and we getting banned? Nothing?

Deaths aren't really deaths anyway, and NLR mainly exists to prevent people from returning to firefights or their body. We all immediately our clan members when we die if they can pick us up. You could call that NLR too.

Because some people could abuse the "accidents", they would ran over somebody without initiating and keep the stuff.

Also, alot of accident are cause by arma 2/DayZ bugs. I count those as glitch.

Nikolai B.    0

Accidents happen in RL, but the problem is that in-game pretty much all accidents happen because of game mechanics. In this case lag maybe. Or weird acceleration. So his death can be placed in the list of "bug-deaths".

Anyway, don't you think we should forget the NLR if we can do something nice? He didn't deserve to get run over, for whatever reason it happened. And what would you like to see happening? Him reporting us and we getting banned? Nothing?

Deaths aren't really deaths anyway, and NLR mainly exists to prevent people from returning to firefights or their body. We all immediately our clan members when we die if they can pick us up. You could call that NLR too.

I was not implying that he "deserved" to die.

Nor did I imply this wasn't a bug.

I am just curious as to how this is viewed in general. The example described in the link is just that - an example.

Obviously if it's a flat-out bug, I understand. But I don't see much difference between accidental run-over by car and accidental death by zombies. Both are unfortunate, in both cases the player doesnt "deserve" to lose his gear.

As I said, I am not pointing fingers or anything. I am just curious :)

When we were on Ops with clan mates, one of them died. I took his gear but refused to give it to him, and kept it to myself, becasue I felt that it would be bending NLR.

Oh, I understand you weren't pointing fingers. I just think that every accident, not just the one I was involved in, can be placed in the list of "bugs & glitches".

We could've done nothing. I guess if he continued the report we wouldn't have gotten banned. But we are playing this together, and because we never intended to run him over, I see it like this: it never happened from a RP/IC perspective. That way, the NLR doesn't apply. You could see it as an accident that could've happened IRL, but as I said, it was probably because of lag. IRL we would have seen him and he would have seen us before anything could've happened.

It's the same with deaths because of bugs: I pretend they never happened.

It does matter how someone dies. If he dies because of zombies (and not because they teleported through walls), then I wouldn't return his gear too. Well, I would get his gun, and if he wanted it back later I would give it to him, but I wouldn't call that "returning his gear".

If it was an accident why not offer him the gear back in good faith anyway? If it was indeed an accident and could be proven that it was (e.g. video or other evidence) then they would not have to as it would be ruled as one.

Ultimately it is up to those involved, I say leave it up to them to decide.