Server time: 2017-10-17, 04:12
Safe Zone: OPEN

Sign in to follow this  
dave_owns

Power Supply Problem with Graphics card/Motherboard

dave_owns    0
Rolle    2926

The 6 pin PCI-E power cords go straight from your power supply to the graphics card. They look like this:

jgXsd.jpg

The one on the right is 6 pin with optional 2 pins to create 8 pin, which some graphic cards require.

If your power supply isn't ancient you should have 2 of those.

dave_owns    0

The 6 pin PCI-E power cords go straight from your power supply to the graphics card. They look like this:

jgXsd.jpg

The one on the right is 6 pin with optional 2 pins to create 8 pin, which some graphic cards require.

If your power supply isn't ancient you should have 2 of those.

I just dont see any sort of cords even connecting to the graphics card. The pc is a prebuilt, and I was just looking to upgrade the card.

Rolle    2926

Your current graphics card is old and slow and does not require external power supply through PCI-E connectors.

So if your power supply has these, they should just be laying around the case somewhere, not connected to anything.

dave_owns    0

Your current graphics card is old and slow and does not require external power supply through PCI-E connectors.

So if your power supply has these, they should just be laying around the case somewhere, not connected to anything.

I dont see why they wouldn't be in the case somewhere, but I think if they are, they're probably tucked away in the front like all the other cords are.

tnkydoe    14

My graphics card required 8 pin and i was freaking out because i thought it would be 1 piece not a 6+2. I sat there for like an hour mad my power supply didnt come with it before i realized.

Samaritan    342

Might be an idea to post a pic of the inside of your rig if you can focusing on the power supply/graphics card areas. It would help us identify the bits you need if they're there or if they're not.

dave_owns    0

EgJgLFh.jpg?1

That is the only cord I see that's loose.

This is where those cords go

8r2oHfj.jpg?1

See what I mean? Theres a bunch of cords tucked away in the front and the cords may be in there not connected to anything, however I dont know how I'd get in there to find out

cbfLZdW.jpg

Im assuming these two blue ones are the cords im looking for ;D

dave_owns    0

Someone is telling me my motherboard is really outdated and that I should hold off on this card. But this card is a HUGE upgrade for me. Not sure what to do. XQeH8Ra.jpg

Rolle    2926

Yep, it's the two blue ones.

The mother board is not great, but it shouldn't matter, you've got a PCI Express slot x16 so it'll be fine.

dave_owns    0

Yep, it's the two blue ones.

The mother board is not great, but it shouldn't matter, you've got a PCI Express slot x16 so it'll be fine.

Also one more question. Im also being told that if I really want an upgrade, I should look for more video memory. The card im getting has 2gb of video memory, and he's saying I should really go for 4gb if I want a noticeable upgrade. Is this true?

Rolle    2926

GTX960 will still be an enormous upgrade from HD7700, even if 2GB is indeed somewhat little in 2015, but the next step up is GTX970 with 4GB and that's much more expensive.

2GB should still be fine if you play games in resolutions up to 1080p (1920x1080). Any more than that and the GPU will start to choke because of lack of free VRAM.

dave_owns    0

GTX960 will still be an enormous upgrade from HD7700, even if 2GB is indeed somewhat little in 2015, but the next step up is GTX970 with 4GB and that's much more expensive.

2GB should still be fine if you play games in resolutions up to 1080p (1920x1080). Any more than that and the GPU will start to choke because of lack of free VRAM.

Alright man. Guess im going to get this. Thats what I play on is 1920x1080 so, I should be okay. You can mark this as solved. Thanks for the help <3