Server time: 2017-10-17, 22:24
Safe Zone: OPEN

Sign in to follow this  
Wong

Image limit when making a group

Wong    0

Is there a way to make the image count higher for making a group as once you get to the limit you have to start deciding what to keep and what not to keep. 

for example 

JYcvny5.png

is better then

HOSTILE 

she what im saying here? Just a suggestion. Maybe there's a reason why there is a limit that I don't know about

Brad    158

I believe the current limit is 20?  It can get up there pretty fast if you are using text graphics as you said.  A few more spots would be nice if it is possible.

The alternative is to make sure to reserve the first post in the thread so you can add on but that doesn't exactly help existing groups.

Having the same problem here Wong, just to let you know spoilers also count as images so you can't have more then 20 images/spoilers.

Sadly I don't think there is really a way to have more then 20 as staff told me 20 is the maximum amount of images/spoilers in one post.

Brad    158

Having the same problem here Wong, just to let you know spoilers also count as images so you can't have more then 20 images/spoilers.

Sadly I don't think there is really a way to have more then 20 as staff told me 20 is the maximum amount of images/spoilers in one post.

Didn't realize spoilers counted, good to know!

Wong    0

I didn't realise Spoilers counted either. Thanks Flash

I believe the current limit is 20?  It can get up there pretty fast if you are using text graphics as you said.  A few more spots would be nice if it is possible.

The alternative is to make sure to reserve the first post in the thread so you can add on but that doesn't exactly help existing groups.

Is there a Admin or Rolle could make it higher? maybe 30..

Personally I will put my opinion here, I think that it should be raised at least for group threads if this is possible at all, if not we have to deal with it.

I would love to have more as I have a lot of unused artwork and a lot of things that I would absolutely love to add to my group thread but sadly I can not due to the limit.

Again if it's possible to raise it I would really love it, if not ohh well.

Dave    1

+1 I had this problem a long time ago wayyyy back in 2013

Whip    0

Eh i feel ig the limit is raised, then it will detract from the group ideas themselves creating room for pictures and Less lore and backstories in most cases .But i feel 20 is enough to show your group and if you need more . Then make a media thread!

Just my opinion!

Rick    19

If it is possible for this to be coded for just group threads, then I'd give it a +1

If it would have to raise the limit for everything, then I'd say no

Janana    28

I believe the current limit is 20?

It is currently 20, yes. It is also not enough.

Brad    158

Eh i feel ig the limit is raised, then it will detract from the group ideas themselves creating room for pictures and Less lore and backstories in most cases .But i feel 20 is enough to show your group and if you need more . Then make a media thread!

Just my opinion!

What most people are trying to do is not add media to their main thread it's to make alot of their headlines and subjects into graphics.

For instance in the original post Wong has the word hostile as an image and would have at least 3 or 4 more images for the other group classifiers.  

He might also make a graphic for the titles of backstory/goals/members (sometimes people like to make member bios with pictures) etc.

This can add up very quickly, especially if people are using spoiler tags to organize the page.

You can definitely get around this by making bio pages, and lore threads but of it is easy to bump it to say 30 and wouldn't hurt anything i say it would inspire creativity to those who want it.

Whip    0

Just my opinion!

What most people are trying to do is not add media to their main thread it's to make alot of their headlines and subjects into graphics.

For instance in the original post Wong has the word hostile as an image and would have at least 3 or 4 more images for the other group classifiers.  

He might also make a graphic for the titles of backstory/goals/members (sometimes people like to make member bios with pictures) etc.

This can add up very quickly, especially if people are using spoiler tags to organize the page.

You can definitely get around this by making bio pages, and lore threads but of it is easy to bump it to say 30 and wouldn't hurt anything i say it would inspire creativity to those who want it.

Yeah i guess i just dont see the need for all of the extra , but i guess thats just me .  Your group should speak for itself, and shouldnt need extra images to flair it up.

Brad    158

Yeah i guess i just dont see the need for all of the extra , but i guess thats just me .  Your group should speak for itself, and shouldnt need extra images to flair it up.

It's just a request for people who are more graphically inclined.  When I created a group a few months ago I was lucky to have callmekattica doing the art.

Everything we put on the thread was basically a image but it was still simple and to the point.  Not to brag too much bit it looked good.

The problem was we did run out of image space.

here's an example of what we're talking about here

http://www.dayzrp.com/t-Samson-Pharmaceuticals-Now-Hiring-Active-Recruitment

-Almost everything on that page is an image and in my opinion is nicer to look at than text walls-

Wong    0

As I stated Whip. Image looks better then text.

I also think it should only be for the group section and nowhere else.

Whip    0

-Almost everything on that page is an image and in my opinion is nicer to look at than text walls-

Im not sure you understand my thinking

I understand what you mean but that to me is excessive,  but thats just my opinion. But to each his own. But i hate clicking a million spoilers to figure out what a group is about.

Groups do just fine with the limit now i mean look at:

Chedaki

Cerna Liska

New Dawn

You dont need everything in Spoilers or all the text to be pictures for it to be a great thread, Could it be upped? Sure!  Does it really need to?  not really.  It will cause more superfluous graphic on groups pages and help allow them to get by with sub par ideas by hiding behind flash.

like i said its just my opinon.

I'm 30/70 on this. Looking at a lot of group threads, people put in too many images -save them in inefficient and clunky formats/compressions.

Teaching practical design skills and what is good design. Would be better for threads rather than more images.

When I've looked at group threads and when I made mine. I feel the current 'limit' never even effected me and the thread did not feel lackluster.

I'd be all for it but when you have 30+ images in either top quality jpeg or .png - suddenly a group thread is a 75mb mess of pictures.

Wong    0

I see your point but I stick with what I think. Just another 5/10 more and would be perfect.

Toska    0

Hi (creator of the New Dawn thread here)

I ran into this problem, too.

What I did was packing the single images into a few big images to keep the image count low.

I don't support the idea of upping the image count, personally. I does make things easier, I guess, but it has worked for all groups from 2012 until now so I don't see a need for upping the image cap.

Basoon    15

I agree with increasing the limit. It's not like making the limit 20 makes the threads any shorter to be honest. When I ran into this problem with the Western Watch thread I just combined a bunch of images into one. This makes the limit achieve nothing and makes it harder to edit things in. I would be all for raising the limit, seems pointless to be honest.

If it is possible, it would be nice and it seems like it would be easier for people to work on the threads they've made. Also, considering the beautiful group pages we've seen already, it would be great to see what people could do with more. If it isn't possible I don't think it would be much of a loss, however.

Dusty    1572

As a few people have said, you can just combine some of the images into larger images. However, as was also pointed out, it's harder to edit things like this. To get around that (the difficulty of editing large images, I guess just try to save the project. What I mean is this:

In Gimp, you can save the project as an .xcf file. I do this and if I need to edit something, I can edit that exact layer of the final image, whereas if I was editing a final image, I'd have to do more to edit the one thing I wanted to change, and to avoid changing the things I don't want to.

TL;DR: Combine the images into a few large images. Don't merge all of the layers unless you're 100% sure you won't need to edit anything. If your program lets you, save the project in a way (.xcf for Gimp) that you can edit each layer by itself without accidentally changing anything else.

Rolle    2931

20 is plenty to decorate a group thread IMO. The limit is there for a reason, not just to keep the OP size down but also so that people focus more on text content and not fancy images, as that's what gets you approved.

Joules    274

My issue with the limit is that when I was making my group thread, it said I had reached the 20 images but I in fact had not done so, at least from my best judgement I didn't. What counts as images? A change I'd suggest is that if spoiler text is added, then the image should not count toward the image limit. Unless it already doesn't and I'm an idiot. That's always an option.

ADDED 

Wait do spoilers count as images? I counted my thread that I originally had before I edited out three images and wIt's the spoilers it equals 20. Hummmm