Server time: 2017-08-16, 23:52

Sign in to follow this  
JesterInPeril

Sickness: For Dummies

Introduction

As some of you unfortunate folk may have encountered while out in the Wasteland, there's this nifty little tool nature uses to basically give you the middle finger.  It's called sickness. This vile creation comes in many forms, from chemical to blood, and this guide is here to help you combat, delay, and hopefully survive the putrid existence of sickness.  I've taken sources from various DayZ wikis and websites, however I'm translating the knowledge gained onto this thread, as to provide an easy to understand, easy to access library of information on the common cold, er, food poisoning.  This will be a very basic, short guide, as sickness is a very basic concept.  You eat something you shouldn't, you get sick.  Simple.  With that being said,  enjoy!

Variants

These are the basic, most common illnesses.  I'll be discussing, in detail, the full causes, effects, and cures(if applicable) further into the thread.

• Food Poisoning
  • Chemical Poisoning 
  • Blood Poisoning
  • Overeating
  • Cholera

It is possible to have multiple sicknesses and symptoms stacked on top of each other.

Symptoms, Cures, and Contraction

Food Poisoning

Food poisoning is by far the most common sickness.  This is caused by the following: Rotten fruit, raw meat(poultry, pork, venison, human, you dirty dirty person, and alcohol tincture.

This poisoning comes in two stages, light and medium.  Each of which has different chances of contraction based on what item was consumed.

Light Poisoning: This is a very basic sickness, nearly mirroring the side effects of medium poisoning.  You simply lose noticeable amounts of blood. The exact amount is rather difficult to determine, however it is enough to drain saturation and head into the "going black and white" phase.  Alongside blood loss, you also lose water at an increased rate, so it is recommended to remain around a water source until the illness has passed.  

Medium Poisoning: This stage of food poisoning is nearly identical to the aforementioned stage. You suffer the same symptoms, however they are increased in quantities(lose more blood, lose more water per second).  You also vomit.

Contraction: There is a 50/50 chance of receiving Light Food Poisoning from Rotten Fruit, and a 5% chance of contracting Medium Food Poisoning.  Raw/Overcooked has an unknown chance.  There's a 75% chance of Alcohol Tincture giving you LFP, and 20% of it giving you MFP.

Cures: There's the obvious stay hydrated, keep saline on hand to restore lost blood.  The more immediate cure is consuming Charcoal Tabs, which can be found in general medical spawn locations.

Chemical Poisoning

Chemical poison is the result of two things: Stupidity and torture.  You are infected with chemical poison by consuming Disinfectant Spray.  There's nothing really to it.  You drink the spray, willingly or not, and you get the poisoning, 100% chance, no avoiding it.  I would include the same list as used for Food Poisoning, however there is only one type, so I'll dive right into effects and such.

Contraction: Drinking or otherwise consuming Disinfectant Spray.

Effects: Extreme, rapid loss of blood and health.  You vomit repeatedly, and also lose vastly more water per second.

Cures: Don't drink it! In all seriousness, there is no cure for it.  You must tough it out.  Keep plenty of water and saline on you.  This will help combat the extreme loss of both water and blood, health is regenerated over time.

Blood Poisoning

Also known as Blood Type Incompatibility.  This occurs when your blood type in your system is incompatible with the blood type of the donor.  With this sickness, there really is no way to beat around the bush.

Contraction: Injecting incompatible blood-types into a survivor.

Cures: None.  Might as well prepare the funeral service, sorry.

While there are no cures, there's an easy way to avoid this.  Knowledge. 

As a rule for memorization:

1. O- is the universal donor, can donate to anyone without checking.
  2. AB+ is the universal recipient, can receive from anyone without checking.
  3. O can transfer to O, A, B or AB
  4. A can transfer to A or AB
  5. B can transfer to B or AB
  6. AB can only transfer to AB
  7. (-) can transfer to (-) or (+)
  8. (+) can only transfer to (+)

Taken from the DayZ Wiki.

Overeating

While this sickness might be far less severe than those aforementioned, it is still a sickness, and therefor it will be covered.

Stuffed Status: If you gobble down a bag of rice, or just too much food or water in general, you might notice a 'Stuffed' status bar appear in your player menu.  This status goes through three stages.  A light yellow color, basically saying, "Hey, watch out, you're getting a little full".  An orange-ish color, saying, "You should stop before this gets any worse than it has".  A dark red color, which means you're on your way to vomiting.

Contraction: Consumption of excessive amounts of food or drink.  Keep in mind, if the consumed items fit criteria listed above(rotten, raw, etc.) you can stack symptoms.

Effects: Vomiting, most likely more than once.

Cures: Lay off the Tactical Bacon! Simply stop consuming food or drink, wait for the vomiting to pass, and allow your 'Stuffed' status to fade away.

Cholera

This is the disease most recently added, and occurs when unclean water is consumed.  Namely out of still water, ponds, rivers, etc.

Contraction: Drinking out of ponds, lakes, rivers, still water, or anything of the sorts.  Water wells are completely safe.

Light Impact Cholera: This progresses through four stages, just like all other impacts. 

• Stage One, you lose one water per second.
  • Stage Two, you lose two water per second.
  • Stage Three, you lose three water per second, and begin losing one blood per second.
  • Stage Four, you lose one water per second.

Medium Impact Cholera: 

• Stage One, you lose two water per second.
  • Stage Two, you lose three water per second, and one blood per second.
  • Stage Three, you lose four water per second, and two per second.
  • Stage Four, you lose two water per second.

Heavy Impact Cholera:

• Stage One, you lose three water per second.
  • Stage Two, you lose four water per second, and two blood per second.
  • Stage Three, you lose six water per second, and three blood per second.
  • Stage Four, you lose two water per second.

Cures: While each increasing impact is more severe than the previous, all three impacts are capable of killing you should you not remain hydrated and energized.  I would personally recommend using saline to keep your blood up.  It is believed that Tetracycline Antibiotics help skip stages, however I cannot confirm that.  Overall, just drink from wells.  If it comes down to it, fill up your container with pond water, use Water Purification tablets, then consume.

Conclusions

This concludes my guide to sickness in Chernarus, for dummies.  I hope I was of some help, and maybe this will help you better understand the effects, causes, and cures of the various sicknesses of the land.  If I missed anything, please do tell me and I'll fix it immediately.  Also, if you'd like to see anything added, let me know and I will add what I deem fit.  Thanks for reading if you've made it this far!  Happy adventuring, and happy role-play!

Autumn    121

approved.jpeg

Accurate and helpful for people who don't keep up with WOBO's DayZ Videos

Thank you for making this! :)

Janana    28

I approve of this guide. Good job. It's good to know the effects and points that the sickness does to the body. These things can also be seen here, and DayZIntel's Guide. It isn't at all as thorough as your guide but it's out there to keep up when you play.

I'm surprised that there isn't already something like this on the forums.

Tewudin    44

Yes, great guide. It'll definitely help some people around here, especially if they don't know how to RP this sicknesses or they don't keep in touch with such informations on other websites.

NathSnr    2

If I'm right here, I'm pretty sure a transfusion of an incompatible blood type also knocks the recipient unconscious? Not sure. It did in the mod, and I *think* it does here.

For those who are #Nerdz, the reason a wrong blood-type transfusion is so dangerous is because it can cause a number of issues (haemoglobic shock, anaphyxia etc) that are deadly enough alone, worse together.

Kolja    0

Great! Spread the knowledge and listen to us who play medical professionals. (I hope the rest of you read up as well). I have great fun as a nurse treating patients almost every Time I play.

I miss wound infection though, My personal favorite. Last I heard it could only be contracted by stitching up wounds, do you know if they have removed this?

Janana    28

If I'm right here, I'm pretty sure a transfusion of an incompatible blood type also knocks the recipient unconscious? Not sure. It did in the mod, and I *think* it does here.

It also has the chance of killing the other character. I don't advise trying this.

Willem    2

Very useful indeed, when I just started playing DayZ SA I didn't know how to cure sickness either.

Oliv    1538

Well written, concise, and informative. You sir, will save many a person. Maybe even me...

Beast7Gamer    0

Very well written guide, all the information is there and its nice and easy to understand. I even learned a thing or two about cholera since I never got it. Well good job and I would say to update the guide if more sicknesses get added.

It also has the chance of killing the other character. I don't advise trying this.

As far as I'm aware, incompatible blood types have a 100% fatality rate from the Hemolytic Reaction.  This knowledge being gathered from the sources Tosh cited, as well as personal experience.  From what I've seen, you start going into shock, but overall lead to death regardless.

Very well written guide, all the information is there and its nice and easy to understand. I even learned a thing or two about cholera since I never got it. Well good job and I would say to update the guide if more sicknesses get added.

I definitely will update the guide should more sickness be added.  I did decide to leave cannibalism(Prion's disease) off, as there's a whole other guide that can be made for that, but should any ailments be added, you'll be able to find them here as soon as I'm notified.

Ifill    0

I almost died from overeating a while back, I wasn't near a pond and it took forever to remove the status once I found one.

Janana    28

I almost died from overeating a while back, I wasn't near a pond and it took forever to remove the status once I found one.

Overheating can be fixed by removing articles of clothing, laying down in the shade or being in a windy place. Do not run, or jog. Night time helps. (Of course water works too but is not always found in the area)

This guide is super convenient to have available. There have definitely been times when I could have used this!

BLACKTHRONE    0

approved.jpeg

Accurate and helpful for people who don't keep up with WOBO's DayZ Videos

Thank you for making this! :)

WOBO ALL THE WAY!!!!!!!!!

Pussy    310

Really enjoy the guide! It's nice to have the causes and effects written out here for people to be able to look back to and figure out what is going on with their status effects. It's a well-written, and nicely organized guide, so thank you! It will be easy for people to look at and find the cure for their ailment quickly.

Great work!

J.D.    2

Nice work!

I could have used this on experimental the other day.

I thought i had cooked some fish.. turns out it was a bit raw, Im still alive and kicking.

Chance    48

For overeating, there is a bug within the game that constantly makes your character hungry, even if you eat +10 cans of food. I know this, because I almost killed my guy from overeating without realizing.

Guest Mak   
Guest Mak

Nice work right here brother, thanks, was helpful

Sign in to follow this