Server time: 2017-08-23, 12:05

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Fishyfish

VAC Bans

Guest Fishyfish   
Guest Fishyfish

In light of the seemingly increasing VAC ban appeals and similar situations, I would like to propose a medium to this issue that would still keep VAC bans as a valid way of detecting a possible future cheater, while also giving some slack to players who cheat on totally different games.

The way I see it, VAC bans on games that are not even close to DayZ seem irrelevant to this game. If I get a VAC ban on Portal 2 for hacking, I don't see why I should be punished on DayZ as the games are so far apart it would be a stretch to say I would also intend on hacking in DayZ. So instead of honoring all VAC bans on players from any game, how about VAC bans on games with similar genres or gameplay styles are honored. 

Example: I get a VAC ban on Rust 6 months ago, this would be a case where it would be honored here and the player wouldn't be able to whitelist or continue playing.

Example 2: I get a VAC ban on TF2 6 months ago, this game is nowhere close to DayZ and it was a very vibrant modding and hacking community, however the survival aspects, persistent gear, or general style is nowhere close.

The most common VAC bans I see are from call of duty, mostly with manipulating the zombie mode. In reality, this gamemode is an arcade game where persistence, the idea of survival or continuous progression are non-factors. If you are hacking in a game that is an arcade game such as TF2 or COD it seems unfair to assume they will cheat on something like DayZ, Rust, H1Z1, or games of the like.

Just a suggestion, let me know!

INB4 my steam gets checked by an onslaught of admins (I'M CLEAN I SWEAR!)

Chris    61

Seems needless for such arbitrary guidelines to be put in place; those games may be different but cheating is manipulating code, regardless of gameplay. :)

No from me.

Boston    650

This is a good idea. It seems like people who are decent/good members of the community get booted because of a VAC ban from some game completely different from DayZ.

Yes from me.

Bryce_    1

No from me.

If you cheated, you cheated. It shouldn't matter what game it is, hacking ruins the game for others just for your own enjoyment and I'm pretty sure staff can agree that they don't want those kinds of players in the community.

Revilo    7

SS2XsYP.png

do i really need to say anything else. i mean hacking is hacking. just because the game isn't the same genre. it shouldn't be done.

little edit - it is ZERO tolerance. it has always been and i dont think it needs to be changed.

Guest Doug Quade   
Guest Doug Quade

Cheating is cheating. That type of behavior is not wanted here nor is that type of player wanted in this community.

No for me.

We don't want cheaters. They cheated in another game, we don't want them cheat in this game.

After an extensive amount of time from when the VAC ban was issued. I am fine with people that whitelist and attempt to join this community and play on the servers.

Guest Vittoria   
Guest Vittoria

I thought people were allowed to whitelist if they were VAC banned on another game, and not DayZ?

Did something change?

Boston    650

No from me.

If you cheated, you cheated. It shouldn't matter what game it is, hacking ruins the game for others just for your own enjoyment and I'm pretty sure staff can agree that they don't want those kinds of players in the community.

SS2XsYP.png

do i really need to say anything else. i mean hacking is hacking. just because the game isn't the same genre. it shouldn't be done

Cheating is cheating. That type of behavior is not wanted here nor is that type of player wanted in this community.

But what about people who accidentally joined a modded lobby? I saw an appeal not too long ago where someone's friend invited him to a hacked COD lobby unbeknownst to the OP of said appeal, and he got VAC banned. What if they're not cheaters, but rather, accidentally joined something or made a mistake... an honest mistake?

Revilo    7

But what about people who accidentally joined a modded lobby? I saw an appeal not too long ago where someone's friend invited him to a hacked COD lobby unbeknownst to the OP of said appeal, and he got VAC banned. What if they're not cheaters, but rather, accidentally joined something or made a mistake... an honest mistake?

well then they should beat the shit out of their friend for getting them VAC banned.  it should have been his responsibility to tell him the lobby was modded but there is nothing he can do

cheating is cheating.  dont do it  or let others do it.

dafunk102    2

No from me.

SS2XsYP.png

do i really need to say anything else.  i mean  hacking is hacking.  just because the game isn't the same genre. it shouldn't be done

Well then they'd have to explain that in a ban appeal, although you are right most COD lobbies are modified and can give you vac bans. Before they vac banned people from MW3 just because they changed their FOV.

Guest Doug Quade   
Guest Doug Quade

No from me.

SS2XsYP.png

do i really need to say anything else.  i mean  hacking is hacking.  just because the game isn't the same genre. it shouldn't be done

IMO Vac Ban is Vac ban. THe person did someone to violate a rule and was punished for it. There is a process in place for a player to contest a VAC ban, and it is up to those people to approve or maintain a Vac Ban.  If a Vac Ban sticks, then we honor it.  Plain and simple , no if's and's or but's.

Bryce_    1

Anyone can say they joined a hacked lobby, that's the issue. I don't know much about VAC but wouldn't it be able to tell that x person isn't actually hacking, they just joined a hacked lobby by mistake?

If they can prove their VAC ban was caused by joining a hacked lobby, they should be unbanned, but if they can't, they should stay banned.

RedSky    123

Anyone can say they joined a hacked lobby, that's the issue. I don't know much about VAC but wouldn't it be able to tell that x person isn't actually hacking, they just joined a hacked lobby by mistake?

If they can prove their VAC ban was caused by joining a hacked lobby, they should be unbanned, but if they can't, they should stay banned.

No it will not,

I have a vast amount of knowledge about vac, it looks for similiar patrens that are not part of the game. By having these patrens recognized itll ban the user. Thus a hacked lobby could result in a vac ban.

Not only that but for games like CSGO where hacks are needed to be injected it can have even worse mis identifications that are even impossible to prove,

For example Trojan Horses often used for trade scam inject themselfs deep in the computer depending on the coder theyll infect certain apps (similar to some malware that infects the shortcut applications to reinstall itself) if it would infect the CSGO launch icon it could be detected as malicious code being injected in to the game and thus getting you a VAC ban for no reason at all, However that these cases are very rare they still happen.

VAC is a genius automated system to detect big hacks automaticly with minimum monitoring but it can ban innocent people and Valve doesnt review these situations deep enough.

You cannot get banned for joining a modded lobby, your game files are scanned to identify modifications, therefore that's not a good enough excuse!

You would have had to have some kind of hack or mod installed to get a vac ban.

This being said !

Dont cheat ! And you wont get banned.

Vaine    23

Maybe I'm picking you up wrong. But if not that's a bit of a dick comment.

You trying to say anyone who cheats full stop is not wanted in this community ? So say I for example play a singleplayer football manager game and used a money cheat . Does that mean I'm not wanted here ?

Edit: don't use cheats as I like a challenge but see no issue with people using SP game cheats

Guest Fishyfish   
Guest Fishyfish

angry-no.png

Constructive feedback would be appreciated. Maybe voice why you say no with a meme?

Guest Doug Quade   
Guest Doug Quade

You trying to say anyone who cheats full stop is not wanted in this community ? So say I for example play a singleplayer football manager game and used a money cheat . Does that mean I'm not wanted here ?

Edit: don't use cheats as I like a challenge but see no issue with people using SP game cheats

I think you are picking me up wrong, but I worded it pretty plainly. Cheaters and those that cheat are not wanted or needed in this community. We are specifically referring to Vac Bans, per the OP. If a person is Vac banned it is for a valid reason. Vac bans can be appealed, and investigated and if a person is innocent that they should be able to clear their name and the ban. If the ban sticks, we honor it and bar the person from the community.  

Does that make more sense ? Just want to make sure and clear up any confusion.

I do agree, slightly. VAC bans from other than Bohemia games should not affect your presence in here.

Vaine    23

I think you are picking me up wrong, but I worded it pretty plainly. Cheaters and those that cheat are not wanted or needed in this community. We are specifically referring to Vac Bans, per the OP. If a person is Vac banned it is for a valid reason. Vac bans can be appealed, and investigated and if a person is innocent that they should be able to clear their name and the ban. If the ban sticks, we honor it and bar the person from the community.  

Does that make more sense ? Just want to make sure and clear up any confusion.

''Cheating is cheating'' I dont see how your comment refered to vac bans other than being in the thread.. thus why i think its not best worded.but fair enough

On a second note.. if we are going to go that your refering to people with vac bans as not wanted in the community... You do know there are staff members with VAC bans .. sooo .. please elaborate on how they are different from the average joe on here ?

Sin    114

Constructive feedback would be appreciated. Maybe voice why you say no with a meme?

Most of my arguments have been stated in previous posts.  That said, our policy is to honor VAC bans.  If someone is VAC banned, they need to address that situation - if they successfully appeal, their problem here disappears.  Steam is a huge organization compared to DayZRP with loads more resources to throw at this problem than we'll ever have.  It makes sense for us to honor their bans.  If it's good enough for Steam, it damn well ought to be good enough for DayZRP.  We simply don't have the resources or the ability to look deeply into every VAC appeal.  Sometimes there are cases that warrant special attention, in which case they receive it.  Staff is very diligent and conscientious about all permanent bans and appeals.

Guest Fishyfish   
Guest Fishyfish

I think another point to make is if "cheating" in your own lobby or with JUST friends is the same cheating as in a matchmaking game. Obviously you wouldn't be able to just ask someone which they did, but what I'm saying is that alot of people are VAC banned for playing zombies or whatever with some different "settings" or cheats. If someone wants to fly around with infinite ammo on their own game with just friends, that doesn't bother me.

I just think that as it stands you shouldn't deem someone a cheater in all games because of 1 game that is not even in the same ball park as DayZ

Guest DooD YC   
Guest DooD YC

I don't agree with this as cheating in one game has a risk of the same person cheating on RP but if someone gets a ban from trading on CS GO, TF2 or any other games that involves trading, They should not get banned from RP as DayZ has not got trading as a feature there for there should not be a risk. Contradict me if you like but this is how I see it  .