Server time: 2017-10-22, 00:41
Safe Zone: CLOSED

Sign in to follow this  
TheGlassSpider

GamePlay Requirement in order to become staff

I would like to suggest that members of staff be required to have a minimum of 400 hours of DayZRP game play under their belts prior to being allowed to apply for staff positions. 

Those who have authority to change the rules and punish rulebreakers ought to have plenty of practical experience regarding how the rules already play out and the potential ways any new rule will unravel in the game with the current active community. 

This seems FAR more important than needing to have a minimum 500 posts on the forum (especially when that requirement in no way accounts for the quality of said 500 posts). 

Otherwise, the already-discussed disconnect between community members and staff will grow.

Connect and disconnect logs. I think it's worth it for people serious enough to want to be staff and for a community that values the connection between staff and players as much as we claim to.

Connect and disconnect logs. I think it's worth it for people serious enough to want to be staff and for a community that values the connection between staff and players as much as we claim to.

I personally think this is a great idea. While I do think the current staff is quite connected to the issues going on in dayzrp and have met several through in-game interaction, I think that time spent rping with others and learning about the ins and outs of the server are just as important as interacting with the community via the forums. 

+1

Autumn    127

Completely on board with this. Though there is no way to accurately log hours on DayZRP specifically, I believe that a gameplay requirement is a bit more important than the 500 forum posts.

Fantastic suggestion Dean Morgan :)

Volke    131

I would like to suggest that members of staff be required to have a minimum of 400 hours of DayZRP game play under their belts prior to being allowed to apply for staff positions. 

Those who have authority to change the rules and punish rulebreakers ought to have plenty of practical experience regarding how the rules already play out and the potential ways any new rule will unravel in the game with the current active community. 

This seems FAR more important than needing to have a minimum 500 posts on the forum (especially when that requirement in no way accounts for the quality of said 500 posts). 

Otherwise, the already-discussed disconnect between community members and staff will grow.

Well, if this would be in place Rolle and some admins couldn't be staff :P. However...I do think that it makes a lot of sense. Staff will argue saying that their experiences from the mod or them being in staff and making rules shouldn't be affected on how long their IG.

To me this, honestly makes a lot of sense. I don't think its really reasonable for people who have spent like less then 100 hours for example on DayZRP to be deciding on the rules, the state of the game, the struggles and issues within it....It doesn't make sense and the forums can only go so far in it.

The same argument can be said with staff requiring 3 months in the community however, I don't think that it's really relevant.

+1 to me when recruiting new staff or addressing staff IMO. It doesn't and has never made sense to me how someone with 50 hrs of DayZRP suddenly deciding and making rules and assessments

Guest Doug Quade   
Guest Doug Quade

I understand what you are saying here, but it also discounts any experience that a potential staff member brings to the table from outside the community. It is why there is a progression through staff from CH>Admin. It allows people to get seasoned in regards to understanding the internal processes within Staff among other things. Just familiarity with the rules is not the be all end all of being a staff member.   There are many facets that make up being a quality Staff member. There is plenty of vetting made by the Admin team, as observance of a potential Staff members behavior in forums, and specifically what they are involved in posting wise.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts though.

Volke    131

I personally think this is a great idea. While I do think the current staff is quite connected to the issues going on in dayzrp and have met several through in-game interaction, I think that time spent rping with others and learning about the ins and outs of the server are just as important as interacting with the community via the forums. 

+1

As well :

The 500 posts can easily be achieved by spamming general discussion threads or any thread where you can make a comment, it doesn't send a real assessment. I've seen it and I personally have the knowledge for myself of it.

And well...maybe if this wouldn't apply for staff, I think it should apply for GM's the ones using their knowledge of the rules and IG experience to make verdicts. It wouldn't bother me about Mods or CHs having little to no time chopped in DayZRP, I just think for GMs + this should apply for .

Well, if this would be in place Rolle and some admins couldn't be staff :P.  However...I do think that it makes a lot of sense.  Staff will argue saying that their experiences from the mod or them being in staff and making rules shouldn't be affected on how long their IG.  

-snip-

+1 to me when recruiting new staff or addressing staff IMO.  It doesn't and has never made sense to me how someone with 50 hrs of DayZRP suddenly deciding and making rules and assessments

Yep.

So the answer to me is just grandfather all the current staff in, and then create a new rule applying to all staff applications after. Honestly, if we left it how it was I don't think it would be a huge problem. The staff are already extremely dedicated and in touch with the community. But I think the rule just makes sense.

Volke    131

I understand what you are saying here, but it also discounts any experience that a potential staff member brings to the table from outside the community. It is why there is a progression through staff from CH>Admin. It allows people to get seasoned in regards to understanding the internal processes within Staff among other things. Just familiarity with the rules is not the be all end all of being a staff member.   There are many facets that make up being a quality Staff member.  Thanks for sharing your thoughts though.

Agreed, but this should be certainly, certainly taken account for with GMs, For staff as a whole of course not as Chs & Mods aren't the connection between the IG & Forums I don't feel it's fair as someone who is making my verdict may have like...2 days worth of DayZRP IG experience who are then saying this is a great idea, but they rarely experience it...It just doesn't make sense on a GM who is supposed to have a thorough understanding of the rules and the application of them have little to no IG experience...

Obviously my opinion is not an attack against staff but it does beg the question on the people making rules & assessments and verdicts are the ones who seldom play the game. I respect staff & all those that wish to help the community, however I really think this is a topic that needs to be brought to light.

Guest Doug Quade   
Guest Doug Quade

So then let's cut down to brass tacks as they say.  Can you provide a current example of this ?

Fafnir    38

I can see where your coming from on this. At the very least it does help to know the bugs, things that are occurring ingame, different type of roleplay and what rules are effective or noneffective. I wouldn't see a problem adding something like for new staff members and grandfather current staff members.

I play to much... f8ade52d68.png

Volke    131

I can see where your coming from on this. At the very least it does help to know the bugs, things that are occurring ingame, different type of roleplay and what rules are effective or noneffective. I wouldn't see a problem adding something like for new staff members and grandfather current staff members.

Pshh you don't play enough Fafnir ;).

___

In addition to this, when IMO people say the staff and the community are seperated... I feel this is the biggest reason for it. For the most part: The People who make the rules, judge the verdicts, and are supposed to be the image of the community....seem to be the most seperated from the RP World itself as they are too busy with staff work to play the game itself :P .

I know the staff team as a whole has made an attempt to get more in touch with the community, and I really have noticed a change, the staff members that do this know who they are, but this could be another stepping stone to connect with the community.

I know the staff team as a whole has made an attempt to get more in touch with the community, and I really have noticed a change, the staff members that do this know who they are, but this could be another stepping stone to connect with the community.

I will say that several of the coolest experiences I've had in game happened when I realized I was interacting with the character of a staff member, even though most of the time it was a retroactive realization that happened way after the fact. Almost instantly this made me feel more connected to the community and also excited that I was about to get some of the best rp whether hostile or not on the servers. Situations like meeting Tera and Rick's characters latenight at an airfield, meeting Rampage's esteemed character for the first time, realizing Volke's character was on the run and deeply connected to several of my IC friends, getting 'saved' by Cid's character during an impending firefight, fireside chats with Vandy's character, or hell, even being told I was a foreigner who should GTFO of Chernaruss by Staggs' character last night, helped me to feel firsthand the staff is connected and playing the same story I am. And that's pretty badass.

I definitely think there is a lot to gain from suggesting staff members are participating in regular IC interaction and continue to do so. It has only made my experience better and I believe it would do the same for others.

Of course Rolle is the owner and El Presidente - he could have never played and gets to have say - it's all his property. But it's no secret that Rolle depends on the (and I DO accept and value this) VERY HARD WORK and SACRIFICES that every staff member puts in (out of the kindness of their hearts, btw) in order to support this community. 

I also understand that the very act of becoming staff is a really great way to reduce your game time, since you're now dividing your free time. 

However, I think that either a game play requirement OR continuing gameplay requirements are very important just for keeping staff members up on the reality IG of hotfixes, new patches, gameplay styles, trends, and the practical application of rules (particularly when new updates come or new rules are in effect). 

In counseling (and other professions) we are required to maintain CEUs (continuing education credits) in order to stay up-to-date on the best practices within our field. Now, I realize that we are not doing exactly the same here or at the same level, but part of the reason to do this is simply to stay in touch with the perspective and experience of the game player, which is essential to being able to examine the rules and people's behaviors within them objectively. 

I am ALWAYS open to feedback - perhaps this exact iteration of the idea is not necessary or enforceable, but I think something in this spirit is well warranted.

Brad    158

Honestly I don't think this is needed at all.

Currently there is a very large amount of staff who actively plays the game.  They others have at one time or have a very vast knowledge of the rules.

People who apply for staff are researched and are usually those who are actively visible on the forums and in game.  It isn't just a 500 posts and you are in situation.

When I was being considered for staff I was specifically asked "are you active in game".

Currently this is not a problem, and with the current ways staff are being selected I don't see it becoming one.

Honestly I don't think this is needed at all.

Currently there is a very large amount of staff who actively plays the game.  They others have at one time or have a very vast knowledge of the rules.

People who apply for staff are researched and are usually those who are actively visible on the forums and in game.  It isn't just a 500 posts and you are in situation.

When I was being considered for staff I was specifically asked "are you active in game".

Currently this is not a problem, and with the current ways staff are being selected I don't see it becoming one.

I get what you're saying. I have interacted with the characters of several staff members and honestly don't really see any problems with lack of staff IC participation right now. 

My support of the idea mostly comes from my belief that sometimes rules should be explicitly stated and enforced to prevent problems in the future and maintain what is currently happening by staff selection. Creating a process and policy ensures that the current sentiment being enforced by staff in the interviewing process will continue for the future.

But sometimes policy for policy sake is unneccessary, too. So I can see it both ways.

Rolle    2963

While I agree, I do not think that it should be any specific amount of hours spent online (which we can't count or monitor anyway). I think that all staff members should just be active in game and on top of all changes and IC happenings that may be affecting RP experience in the community. Like GlassSpider pointed out I currently depend on the staff members - primarily admins - to do this for me, as I have taken a more of a supervisor role and deal with technical shenanigans behind the scenes in order to keep all of this running.

This fact hit me just recently when I played for a few days and interacted more with the community, I've realized how much of the community and game touch I've lost by being inactive in game. I believe some kind of restriction should be put in place, especially on GM+ positions who do verdicts on in game situations and shape our in game rules.

Volke    131

I will say that several of the coolest experiences I've had in game happened when I realized I was interacting with the character of a staff member, even though most of the time it was a retroactive realization that happened way after the fact. Almost instantly this made me feel more connected to the community and also excited that I was about to get some of the best rp whether hostile or not on the servers. Situations like meeting Tera and Rick's characters latenight at an airfield, meeting Rampage's esteemed character for the first time, realizing Volke's character was on the run and deeply connected to several of my IC friends, getting 'saved' by Cid's character during an impending firefight, fireside chats with Vandy's character, or hell, even being told I was a foreigner who should GTFO of Chernaruss by Staggs' character last night, helped me to feel firsthand the staff is connected and playing the same story I am. And that's pretty badass.

I definitely think there is a lot to gain from suggesting staff members are participating in regular IC interaction and continue to do so. It has only made my experience better and I believe it would do the same for others.

This I feel much more comfortable knowing that the people in charge, the people who are making the rules thinking of possibilities , are regular players within the game. That they are not just some entity with a coloured name, they actually play the game, that they have experiences I would I have experienced to make the judgement in the verdicts, they have seen coast to coast of rp, I feel that the Gamemasters & admins should be some of the best rpers on the server (not to say that some/all of them aren't), It just makes more sense to me . Sometimes... I don't feel that is transitioned however, and perhaps it has , maybe I haven't seen it. . Though it has gotten significantly better, I can applaud that to the staff team for having made strides in that dept. Though I think it should continue further.

While I agree, I do not think that it should be any specific amount of hours spent online (which we can't count or monitor anyway). 

-snip-

Wow, I didn't realize that wasn't something that could be counted. If that's the case then, yeah, general guidelines maybe explicitly stated somewhere on the staff application information page could be a nice addition? I apologize in advance if this is already there. And I can tell you from maintaining playtesting while designing a game it's a difficult balance between having dedicated exposure to your players and technical/administrative duties. Due to this, I think there will always be some staff members who have very little opportunity to actually play. And I think that's okay, as long as there are clearly staff members who are engaged, as Rolle said.

Sasha    0

An amount of hours shouldn't be needed. Should simply be a matter of has the person been at all active lately, and able to understand the way the game and the community operates at this time. To be able to make an informed decision in reports and when discussing tweaks or additions of new rules.

Husky    0

Its hard to measure play time.

>Open Steam

>Click Dayz

>See playtime

>Profit!

:D?

Rick    19

I agree with Rolle's mindset. Putting a number on it would complicate things, and quantifying things like that often do not do it justice. That being said, it is important for staff (mostly GM's and Admins) to keep their touch in game, in order to objectively judge in game situations. Seeing as everything is situational, it's hard to judge on IG situations if you yourself have not been in game and can have that perspective. There doesn't need to be a number, however it is certainly something that needs to be encouraged.

DarkStyle    46

>Open Steam

>Click Dayz

>See playtime

>Profit!

I have only over 100 hours. Same with A2. With that i should have never been able to be staff. But i had A2 retail version before that.

Husky    0

>Open Steam

>Click Dayz

>See playtime

>Profit!

I have only over 100 hours. Same with A2. With that i should have never been able to be staff. But i had A2 retail version before that.

I never argued for or against the main topic.