Server time: 2017-10-21, 12:29
Safe Zone: CLOSED

Sign in to follow this  
Primus Palus

Requesting ID's...

The long and short of this contact was this... an overwatch was established and two contacts were approached by a second team member. Shots exchanged, one person killed, and the second taken prisoner.

We removed him to a more secure location and began interrogating him.

He initially refused to give us an ID when asked, though did comply with RP stating that we were searching him for communication devices (he said he was muting TeamSpeak).

I then asked for his ID again and he said he didn't have one. I told him I am physically searching him for ID and he again refused. I typed in OOC chat for him to now identify himself as he should be now presenting ID and he refused.

My problem with this is... I can kill someone and ID them. So OBVIOUSLY everyone has an ID on them. Like a national ID card or dogtags. If I search for it, I think he should be providing in character naming information that is consistent with the player list. Am I wrong?

He told me by asking for him to type something, it was metagaming. But I don't agree. If I kill him I get the same information. How is that possible? Fingerprint? DNA testing? The simplest approach is everyone must have some type of ID.

Nikolai B.    0

Now, why would a seasoned resistance fighter, having survived years of captivity and torture, while on operational duty, carry ID?

Why? Why would he answer truthfully to any questions without even being tortured?

If the character is actually willing to die for a cause, and I AM considering this as the finale for this character, as the story developed further, after you left, leading to it's eventual demise... I don't see a problem? I hoped you videoed it, I found it an amusing encounter (although with even greater wasted potential).

I tried to have some good RP with you, but you kept resorting to metagaming: searching my name on player list by spelling it out, at a certain point i even gave you a last name, which WAS on the player list.

Your character does not posses a magical list of all possible identities currently "online". No sir.

I mean, I'm not even blaming you for using OOC knowledge (my muting of TS) to establish that i am a part of a group, and that I my character is lying about being unrelated to the person that was killed earlier. I give the benefit of the doubt. Because i want to have good RP fun and not bicker over rules.

If you're interested in what happened next, having no radio, broken legs, and no morphine, what ever happened, to Fedor Rubanenko? I;ll be happy to share :D

By the way, I'll be happy to discuss this further on TS if you like. Here works too :)

Sin    127

They left you with broken legs?

Now, why would a seasoned resistance fighter, having survived years of captivity and torture, while on operational duty, carry ID?

So when killed, he can be identified. ALL US military soldiers wear dog tags. If I had killed you or anyone, I still get that ID. If I search for it, in regard to RP, I should be receiving the correct name as displayed in the list.

They left you with broken legs?

As he was uncooperative, he was shot in the leg and left for dead. We took his morphine out of his bag but he could very well have had some on his regular inventory.

I personally think when captured, SEARCHED, it would be metagaming NOT to give your correct name. Otherwise, why would I further RP interrogations when I could kill them and receive the same information if not more.

I was trying to be the RP sport, and you were not. Kudos on the singing in "Russian" and saluting expecting your death. That was humorous.

Powdermen    0

It is quite annoying that when you stand next to someone and you ask him friendly what his ID is and give him yours, and than he doesn't give you his ID..

And the fact that someone can say: ''I don't have any ID on me TEEHEE'' whilst being surrounded by a group of heavily armed guys is quite annoying..

And what are the rules about taking someone away for interrogation to find out his name, can you torture him if he keeps refusing? It's kind of lame to have to come up with a reason to kill a person just for some ID.. Torture might work if you promise to patch him up when he gives his ID. And you don't break that promise of course!

And what are the rules about taking someone away for interrogation to find out his name, can you torture him if he keeps refusing? It's kind of lame to have to come up with a reason to kill a person just for some ID.. Torture might work if you promise to patch him up when he gives his ID. And you don't break that promise of course!

This. I kept pushing this guy and he refused. I threatened to kill him and he made a comment, "You can kill me of course, and then you will have my name"... well WTF? How about you cooperate with the search and provide the information so I don't HAVE to kill you.

The RP was lost at that point and I got tired of trying to do the actions that should yield the result. So I ordered him to be injured and left. I felt there was so much more potential lost there by the simple fact that I wasn't given a real name or shown ID.

If I was in that scenario and told, "I am now searching you for your ID", I would have done this:

(in chat) *You have found my dogtags and they state, "J. Shields", "Captain", "United States Marine Corps"*

From there the interrogation could continue with some excellent RP. They might ask me information and per the military standards I would probably only give me name, rank, and unit (I wouldn't give serial)... so it might be limited, but it would have gone further than, "I'm not part of a group and my name is John". :\

Spotter    0

There is no reason that a guerrilla warfighter who wishes to avoid identification (which is why all guerrilla skins have masked faces) would carry ID on his person. A majority of ZZ members were captured on operation in their backstory, and would therefore have no ID on them after the outbreak. Basing roleplay off of a mechanic that wasnt designed for roleplay is a difficult thing to avoid.

This has never been brought to attention as an issue before, as well as many of your other concerns, Palus. I appreciate your contributions on the forums, they usually have very good points. Perhaps the study body function should be removed, unless necessary for OOC purposes (confirming you didn't kill an innocent without requesting logs). I'll bring it up with the staff if they haven't taken note already.

A majority of ZZ members were captured on operation in their backstory, and would therefore have no ID on them after the outbreak.

Exactly. Not everybody, from a RP perspective, have dogtags or ID papers on them. Personally, I would rather die than give my ID to a unknow group, especially americans.

I understand this is difficult to resist not using the player list to ID target and see if he is in a group. I often do the same mistake and I don't see how to avoid this.

From my point of view, if somebody (like me) refuse to give his ID, he is not complying. You can execute him in order to protect yourself from possible threats.

Osaka    22

I think people should keep in mind we are role playing on a world AFTER the whole system collapsed. There is no police or government.

The sole existence of US Marines still loyal to a system that doesn't exist anymore is stupid in a way. The infection hit everyone and everywhere.

There is no ID check, survivors value a can of beans more than someone's life. So why would you keep an ID on you?

You guys try to justify that you have no ID... why then after someone is killed you can ID them? Why bother interrogating someone for information and searching them when I can say you're uncooperative, kill you, and get the same information.

Game mechanics dictate what you do in-game. In death, you get ID's. So therefore in life you should as well. You can't jump because there's no jump button... so therefore you don't do jumping jacks in the game in character.

I think it's silly to go against the game mechanics and make crap up like, "I have no ID. I can't be identified". Derp.

Osaka    22

If a bandits demands my ID I give it. If someone asks me nicely I'll give it.

If they don't believe me and force me to type something I will.

I don't care much for my ID. If they kill me they can also ID by checking the corpse.

So why would you refuse an ID? They'll get your ID regardless.

Nikolai B.    0

I don't care much for my ID. If they kill me they can also ID by checking the corpse.

I gave my name. Eventually I even gave them my last name.

I don't see why I should be forced tot ype if I do not wish it.

My comment about

"You can ID me after you kill me" was an OOC response to your OOC demands for me to type.

Had I gave my name, they would have known I was affiliated by clan with another person who was previously killed. My character decided to try and sell them a story about how I just met him 10 minutes ago.Of course, OOC, it was obvious I am lying. IC, there was no way you could tell that for sure.

In effect, my character was trying to play on the gentle moral compass of a US military man. What do you know? it saved my life... For a while...

Had I typed anything at any point, this story would be broken.

In fact, now that I think a bout it, I actually did type, it was just before the point where they asked for ID. when they told me to drop my weapon and come out of the tent, I typed "Complying". At that point i didn't care for them to know my ID because there was no "story" to protect yet.

Agreed. Just because you then give your name as it appears in the list, doesn't mean jack. I can look at it and go, "Oh he's a part of such and such group"... but that's still OOC information. I would fish that out of the character.

But to go, "My name is Joe" and there's no Joe on the server. Then to be searched and still refuse to acknowledge your name is silly, and metagaming as far as I'm concerned. They get the name if they kill you and it's already been well documented that the information you get there, can be used IC.

I don't get how someone can then say, "I have no ID".

Glenn    10

What about RP torture? cutting of his fingers? if you stay IC then you have to say some something when your fingers are lost???

Not everyone is a terminator here who doesn't have any pain.

I will take my nail trigger hehe.

Nikolai B.    0

Read my first post again. No torture was attempted. Had it been attempted, I would RP accordingly.

As far as I am concerned, the fact you can read a persons name after he is dead is meta gaming. Permitted, but still is meta gaming.

Your character does not magically gain any knowledge of ones identity by killing him and examining his corpse.

You basically tried to take a shortcut. Instead of torturing it out of me, you took the easy way out.

Sky    1

Solution = Clan skins

Hurry up Rolle! :P

Glenn    10

Read my first post again. No torture was attempted. Had it been attempted, I would RP accordingly.

As far as I am concerned, the fact you can read a persons name after he is dead is meta gaming. Permitted, but still is meta gaming.

Your character does not magically gain any knowledge of ones identity by killing him and examining his corpse.

You basically tried to take a shortcut. Instead of torturing it out of me, you took the easy way out.

I know there wasn't any torture, because i was not there at the time hehe.

Nikolai B.    0

Next time, perhaps we can have a longer and deeper RP session, with less OOC banter.

I would very much like this.

I think OOC mistrust on both sides brought us to this point and this is unfortunate, to say the least.

I hope we can all do better next time.

P.S. - Crawled through fields for like 45 minutes, first to a crashed heli, then a crashed humvee, then a deerstand. Quiote an epic crawl. At the deerstand i found chemlights and started trying to draw attention by spreading them.

All the information that my clanmates (Just hawke, as Slip was under NLR) had, was that something happened to us in Stary. He was aware of whats going on up to the point where you stripped me of comms.

I arrived, crawling, into a barn, and found some more chemlights.

They were enough to help hawky find me. Unfrtunately, by the time her got to me, there wasn't much left for him to do to help me (no morphine) and i decided that Fedor Rubanenko died of his wounds, in the hands of his comrade, the Chernorussian anthem on his lips, as his sight went dark.

:)

P.S. - Crawled through fields for like 45 minutes, first to a crashed heli, then a crashed humvee, then a deerstand. Quiote an epic crawl. At the deerstand i found chemlights and started trying to draw attention by spreading them.

All the information that my clanmates (Just hawke, as Slip was under NLR) had, was that something happened to us in Stary. He was aware of whats going on up to the point where you stripped me of comms.

They were enough to help hawky find me. Unfrtunately, by the time her got to me, there wasn't much left for him to do to help me (no morphine) and i decided that Fedor Rubanenko died of his wounds, in the hands of his comrade, the Chernorussian anthem on his lips, as his sight went dark.

He will be entered into the book of fallen heroes that have died for this land!

Goz    2

He will be entered into the book of fallen heroes that have died for this land!

His martyrdom shall not be forgoten.Americans will regret this day, expect Chernarussian Fist to remove you from this land. Your bodies will be gathered for public view so everyone can see how ends oppresion against Chernarussians.

J. Hembree    0

Quick question - can you break arms in DayZRP? That would be cool. Break arms so the person can't arm a weapon.

Quick question - can you break arms in DayZRP? That would be cool. Break arms so the person can't arm a weapon.

Not in the mod in it's current form.

J. Hembree    0

The sole existence of US Marines still loyal to a system that doesn't exist anymore is stupid in a way. The infection hit everyone and everywhere.

You aren't getting the 24th's backstory. We got here before the outbreak, now we're cut off with no communications. As far as we know the United States is still there. So we're attempting to continue on mission expecting rescue.

Look up the "Battle of Guadalcanal" in WWII or the "Chosin Reservoir" in the Korean War for the reason why Marines would fight on against overwhelming odds and surrounded. The US Marines history alone would keep a lot of Marines fighting as long as there is a chance - and even after there is no chance. To a Marine they are the embodiment of the US and where ever their feet touch, there to is America.

There's a reason they say, "Simper FI do or die!'

Nikolai B.    0

Oh, you mean leaving a guy with broken legs and no morphine in mid field is not cruel enough? You wanna break the arms too so he (i) cant crawl?

I think thats the point where I'd zombie-suicide.

I usually frown upon zombie-suicides, but the situation you describe would be extreme.

Broken legs do not warrant suicide but if you are also completely immobilized and cannot even light a chemlight, thats... That's just... lame.