Server time: 2017-10-18, 05:48
Safe Zone: CLOSED

Sign in to follow this  
Volke

Making IG Reactions part of the lore.

Volke    131

So within DayZRP, we obviously have a background lore as to how everything happened and how the world has reacted to the Apocalypse and the like.  Though one thing I think would be an interesting idea, that I know has been suggested before has been making events in South Zagoria part of a seperate lore canon.  With the various groups in DayZRP , would their be any way to make a timeline for the lore of the groups? Basically having a section of the lore which has been influenced or denotes many of the actions, groups and specific individuals within SA.  Like have a large timeline on the forums of various groups, there affects, conflicts and details like that, so people would feel that their IG reactions and the like can actually influence the lore. It would be done in a way that many groups both big and small would affect it, so that no one is prioritized.  

I saw with the recent post for recruiting for the loremaster position might be able to do something like this.  But I have no idea on what is planned.  I am curious on people's feedback both staff & community member's thoughts on this, while having the lore master or something moderate to balance out this with fitting into the lore and making sure no one would be "powergaming the lore" or to some extent.  

I'd just be interested in people's responses and thoughts on the idea.  I know I would personally like to feel as if some of the IG encounters troubles and struggles would actually be documented and organized in a fancy timeline.

MrBowTie    46

So this would be making a lore page, but for the groups? This 'lore' would be a timeline per group recording its history, if you will, through out the apocalypse. If so, I think it would be a great idea.

Bjon    15

+1 to this, but I don't see why we as a community can't band together ourselves to pull this off. A lot of us coming together to discuss something of this magnitude would allow for more intricate and accurate details within the writing, more than what one or a few people could do by themselves.

Volke    131

So this would be making a lore page, but for the groups? This 'lore' would be a timeline per group recording its history, if you will, through out the apocalypse. If so, I think it would be a great idea.

To an extent, I was thinking something like this. I'm glad you like the idea :). I just think it would be unique for having IG interactions and groups influence the lore .

MrBowTie    46

Yee, if they had this I think it would further incorporate groups into DayzRP.

Volke    131

+1 to this, but I don't see why we as a community can't band together ourselves to pull this off. A lot of us coming together to discuss something of this magnitude would allow for more intricate and accurate details within the writing, more than what one or a few people could do by themselves.

Well I think something like this would definetly need staff intervention especially if it was a section on the forums. This would be something the lore master would assist with I assume. Also staff would need to be okay with the ideas and make sure that not one group would be powergaming the lore as well as making the idea legitimate as well as having it on the forums documented.

Hell for all I know staff might be planning on doing something like this. It would be great to have huge collaborations, however I think it gets difficult because Ex: lets say there is a firefight, to say one group won the battle and pushed off the battle, while the other group might not appreciate it or consider the events just. With a small group of people, you can get unbiased 3rd parties to properly document events.

Yee, if they had this I think it would further incorporate groups into DayzRP.

Exactly :D. I think it would be able to mix both the unique experiences of DayZRP with the documentation and timeline on the forums for new and old to see It would connect the lore to players more then just having it as a background. Let's say the events of some groups on the timeline :EX: The Kingdom the family had with King Joffery as but one example. And the best part is, it can be told various different ways, so there are so many interpretations of it :)

Bjon    15

Well I think something like this would definetly need staff intervention especially if it was a section on the forums.  This would be something the lore master would assist with I assume.  Also staff would need to be okay with the ideas and make sure that not one group would be powergaming the lore as well as making the idea legitimate as well as having it on the forums documented.  

Oh yes, I'm not saying lore masters would be exempt from being involved, they would honestly probably be the ones putting it all on paper. Though, with people from all sides of the community able to provide some feedback such as detailed point of views on events; I feel we would be able to achieve a much more highly detailed series than if it was only discussed between select people. Also, while I can see an issue of people stretching facts a bit, with multiple sources of input and documentation of said events, it shouldn't be hard to decipher fact from fiction.

Rifleman    14

I believe Tomeran did something like this back in the mod - after the first weeks of the infection or something. Regardless, it would be a fitting addition to the lore section. +1 from me.

Darion    152

Not an bad idea +1 to you volke

Hassan    448

+1 but i'm curious of which events and such would be added, I also have the fear that literally everyone is going to be going around trying to do these things so they can get themselves onto the lore.

So I love the idea but I think people may abuse it.

Volke    131

Well I think something like this would definetly need staff intervention especially if it was a section on the forums.  This would be something the lore master would assist with I assume.  Also staff would need to be okay with the ideas and make sure that not one group would be powergaming the lore as well as making the idea legitimate as well as having it on the forums documented.  

Oh yes, I'm not saying lore masters would be exempt from being involved, they would honestly probably be the ones putting it all on paper. Though, with people from all sides of the community able to provide some feedback such as detailed point of views on events; I feel we would be able to achieve a much more highly detailed series than if it was only discussed between select people. Also, while I can see an issue of people stretching facts a bit, with multiple sources of input and documentation of said events, it shouldn't be hard to decipher fact from fiction.

I don't think it shouldn't be discussed with only a few people, I just think that some people will want to powergame the lore or boost their internet ego, and try to exagerate facts, if it isn't voted on as a decision by a select few people then it could be chaotic IMO.

I believe Tomeran did something like this back in the mod - after the first weeks of the infection or something. Regardless, it would be a fitting addition to the lore section. +1 from me.

Yes! I heard Tomeran did something like this in mod. I was excited to see it but was disappointed when I couldn't find it on the forums :(. I believe he was planning to bring it back soon but since he seems burnt out from loremastering :P I figured to bring up the topic.

Not an bad idea +1 to you volke

You act like I give bad ideas Darion....All my ideas are great :D

+1 but i'm curious of which events and such would be added, I also have the fear that literally everyone is going to be going around trying to do these things so they can get themselves onto the lore.

So I love the idea but I think people may abuse it.

I am also excited to see, well I imagine with events there could be something like the infected appear in larger numbers or a radio tower begins to pick up signal of a society outside South Zagoria. I also agree that it could be easily abused, it would also make incentive for people to become official groups to have their interactions documented :P. I think the people that would do this (probably a lore master or staff or a group of community members given permission by staff) would be able to discern if someone was powergaming to get their group documented.

Volke    131

I'm strongly in favor of this.

I'm glad you like it :). I really do think this is something that could be great. If the loremaster would work with the community on a project like this would be amazing :)

Ocean    6

I also really like this idea. Something for us to look back on at times saying "Oh I remember that, I was apart of it"

Volke    131

I also really like this idea. Something for us to look back on at times saying "Oh I remember that, I was apart of it"

Not just that, it gives older players or new players a timeline of sorts , perhaps they can get inspiration or hear of the old tales of grandeur :P

I'm trying to find it, but I remember Tomeran creating a thread similar to what you're talking about but for the mod. 

Technically it wasn't really meant for groups, however just going over somewhat important IG 'events' in a form of timeline beginning from 2012 to late 2014-ish. It talked about stuff like the camp at Prud, and then its fall from constant bandit attacks, then it went on on about Council attacks and how the SVR saved everyone and blahblahblah... Basically, it summarized events that was usually just known from about everyone so we can look back at it and chuckle about the good/bad times had in the past.

It's fairly manageable to do this, however I don't think it -requires- people to send said creator of thread documentation. If people started sending a loremaster stuff saying "hey this happened and its important" it'd be caught as pretty annoying for the loremaster, and then he'd have to decide whether what was sent -is- important enough to add to the timeline and... eh, it could get messy, especially if it were to be just one person.

Personally, other then it being nice to look back on, I don't see how it'd really influence the lore. It might possibly promote metagaming if we wrote down what happened IG currently. I like how we don't know what's going out in the wilderness nowadays compared to the Mod, makes me question things more and makes me want to get out there and 'explore', find out what's going on.

Something we could do is perhaps make a sort of Radio broadcast, either created by some community member or some staff member, perhaps the loremaster, that goes over some stuff in a IC way. Other community members could get involved (IG!) by sending messages to the 'radio host' acting as sources for the host. This would be even more helpful if persistance was on, so players could leave notes IG at a certain location for the radio host(s).

Less effort, more people get involved in a IC way, on top of that it's both written down and on video.

Edit: Found the Tomeran thread: http://www.dayzrp.com/t-DayzRP-History-after-the-first-2-weeks

Volke    131

I'm trying to find it, but I remember Tomeran creating a thread similar to what you're talking about but for the mod. 

Technically it wasn't really meant for groups, however just going over somewhat important IG 'events' in a form of timeline beginning from 2012 to late 2014-ish. It talked about stuff like the camp at Prud, and then its fall from constant bandit attacks, then it went on on about Council attacks and how the SVR saved everyone and blahblahblah... Basically, it summarized events that was usually just known from about everyone so we can look back at it and chuckle about the good/bad times had in the past.

It's fairly manageable to do this, however I don't think it -requires- people to send said creator of thread documentation. If people started sending a loremaster stuff saying "hey this happened and its important" it'd be caught as pretty annoying for the loremaster, and then he'd have to decide whether what was sent -is- important enough to add to the timeline and... eh, it could get messy, especially if it were to be just one person.

Personally, other then it being nice to look back on, I don't see how it'd really influence the lore. It might possibly promote metagaming if we wrote down what happened IG currently. I like how we don't know what's going out in the wilderness nowadays compared to the Mod, makes me question things more and makes me want to get out there and 'explore', find out what's going on.

Something we could do is perhaps make a sort of Radio broadcast, either created by some community member or some staff member, perhaps the loremaster, that goes over some stuff in a IC way. Other community members could get involved (IG!) by sending messages to the 'radio host' acting as sources for the host. This would be even more helpful if persistance was on, so players could leave notes IG at a certain location for the radio host(s).

Less effort, more people get involved in a IC way, on top of that it's both written down and on video.

Edit: Found the Tomeran thread: http://www.dayzrp.com/t-DayzRP-History-after-the-first-2-weeks

Well if there were 2 or 3 loremasters for example, one of them could specifically work on the timeline & group approval while the others work on the radio broadcasts, events, ect.

This is an interesting idea - Something we could do is perhaps make a sort of Radio broadcast, either created by some community member or some staff member, perhaps the loremaster, that goes over some stuff in a IC way. Other community members could get involved (IG!) by sending messages to the 'radio host' acting as sources for the host. This would be even more helpful if persistance was on, so players could leave notes IG at a certain location for the radio host(s).

___

THe only thing is it would be tough since there are no IG radio stations unless we had a dayzrp radio station of sorts (hopefully when modding comes out). Definitely would be something I'd like to see :)

___

- Regarding this, I think it shouldn't be talking about current ongoing issues, but rather groups that have archived or storylines that have ended, as it's in the past so there is no metagaming. Kinda like posting a youtube video of DayZRP after the events have happened.

___

and then he'd have to decide whether what was sent -is- important enough to add to the timeline and... eh, it could get messy, especially if it were to be just one person.

I agree entirely, I think a group of people could be responsible while the loremaster would "oversee it" seeing if anything would be powergaming or there are inconsistencies ect.

Joules    274

I really do like the idea of this. It would mean that things that prop up in chenarus in the next year will actually be impacted by things that are happening today. Granted, part of this is already happening IG, but new players will be obtuse to the details, and may go off and violate unoffical lore without even realizing it.

Guest CUDA   
Guest CUDA

I support this one hundred percent. Player interactions and groups have drastically changed the environment and attitudes on the server. These changes should be documented. +1

Tewudin    44

I don't know what else to say because lots of people already stated what was important. I agree with this idea. I think IG people and groups in some cases should've affected lore in some way and it's good idea to try and document it. Maybe it will cause some problem with Metagaming but there is always risk like this when dealing with a lore, I think.

Voodoo    487

I would like to see this done but the chances of information being given to be added is slim ( i know from doing the newsletter that info is never given about in game events)

Hopefully this will work out fine but i would bet money on it. Still its a good idea

Glenn    10

I like this but still.... who's going to edit the lore every time something major happens in the groups?

You can not keep track of it all and it will give huge problems if it is wrong written down.

I would say yes but it would give to much trouble to do it.

I've been hoping for someone to talk about this,as I've had the same idea. +1