Server time: 2017-08-21, 17:59

Sign in to follow this  
Tom Fyfe

Gametime

Tom Fyfe    8

Was thinking about this last night, as it seems some new players to DayZRP don't exactly know most of the game, like the map, emotes and town locations, now as I know myself, the map can take a while to get used to, emotes not as much, but if this is supposed to be a few months into the apocalypse, you'd think the character would know part of the map atleast, like theres no way you kept yourself in kamy for 7 months or so. I feel that a certain amount of gametime to whitelist on the server may be necessary, maybe around 40-50 hours or a little less to get a full feel for the game and the character control to be able to roleplay properly, I have came across people that have said in OOC, "how do i put my hands up" just a thought! :)

Guest Vittoria   
Guest Vittoria

No.

To be honest, its probably better some people get into DayZRP before they get really into pub servers, on top of that, people mäy just buy SA for DayZRP. Lastly, it doesn't take 40-50 hours to learn a game.

Othuyeg    20

The gamemap is not a perfectly secluded area, also who is to say people did not survive on a farm for a year. Also, with the amount of non-lethal headshot wounds and waking up at the coast with amnesia, there is always a reason to forget a few things.

It is a no from me. There are things way more important than gametime.

This is where I feel the burden is on the experienced player to not let such things get to them and their RP, rather than on the newer player to know everything (or close to it).

I understand where you're coming from - but you can be learning things about this game everyday. How to fix glitches, certain mechanics, new locations and so on. I also know of a few members of the community whose DayZ playtime is almost entirely RP based.

Yes it can have implications on RP, but it's only minor and barely a problem if the RP is good enough anyway. I don't think anybody is going to flip a lid over an honest OOC question.

Davos    5

You would be surprised at how much easier it might have been to survive in the Black Forest with a few family members before they got killed or the campt got attacked and they had to scatter.

This is why I liked the Introduction to Roleplaying thing that they ran/run which teaches people to roleplay, but I am sure could/have offered classes for new players.

Moose    7

I dont really think this is a good idea. There are plenty of IC reasons why someone might not know the area very well.

- Just migrated in from another area

- Spent their entire time in a secluded setting until now

- Simply being VERY bad at navigating

Im sure other people could come up with quite a few other reasons why they may not know the lay of the land. - 1, sorry.

The only justification for this rule being added that I can see is knowledge of gameplay mechanics but this can easily be figured out IG or by watching some footage on YouTube. It definitely doesnt take 50 hours of playtime to learn how to play DayZ proficiently enough to survive here.

Tewudin    44

I'll also say No for this idea but others already stated a good arguments for this. Basicly, you can always explain your lack of knowledge about area IC. It's not really a problem here. I'v played a lot of DayZ before DayZRP but I assume that I forgot some things during my break away from the game.

Brad    155

Man, I get lost in my own backyard :P

Some people don't have a sense of direction.  Some people COULD have held up somewhere.  At the end of the day I don't see this as a immersion breaking issue that is constantly happening.

I agree to an extent that people should know the controls before joining as it is immersion breaking when you say hands up or wave and someone says //dont know how to.

But at the same time I still don't feel it happens enough to warrant changes and admins searching through profiles (and if the profile is private I'm pretty sure you couldn't regulate this anyways, could you!) to find the hours on record.

A no from me, although I do think people should take notoce of this thread to learn the map and controls as soon as possible.

Volke    132

I dont really think this is a good idea. There are plenty of IC reasons why someone might not know the area very well.

- Just migrated in from another area

- Spent their entire time in a secluded setting until now

- Simply being VERY bad at navigating

Im sure other people could come up with quite a few other reasons why they may not know the lay of the land. - 1, sorry.

The only justification for this rule being added that I can see is knowledge of gameplay mechanics but this can easily be figured out IG or by watching some footage on YouTube. It definitely doesnt take 50 hours of playtime to learn how to play DayZ proficiently enough to survive here.

Moose said it perfectly, couldn't have said it better myself.

Bjon    15

I would have to say no on this one, sorry. Just because someone isn't familiar with DayZ itself doesn't say anything about their role-play abilities. Which, in my eyes, are more important than knowing the in-game map, all the proper hotkeys, and some game-mechanics. Also, as stated by Moose above, there are plenty of in-game reasons someone might not know the layout of the land.

Chow    45

I have 863 Hours in Standalone. 770 of them on RP.

I know the directions, Lik North, West, South and East.

But there are still some places of the map where im a bit incecure.

It takes time.

Darion    62

Yea..I don't agree with this when I first came to DayzRP I didn't know the map well because of pubs ! Dayzrp helped me learn the map

I learnt how to play DayZ SA by playing on the RP servers and it made me fall in love with the game. It was uSx who taught me by IG interaction, it was some of the most enjoyable days on RP I have ever had.

I had somewhere around 750 hours on Standalone prior to joining RP and had zero sense of the western half of the map. I don't feel putting a minimum amount of time played would do much to curb the trend of players not knowing the map, emotes, etc.

Tom Fyfe    8

Again it was just an idea, and after reading the feedback glad to say I'm wrong here, maybe shouldn't put up stuff I think off before I go to sleep anymore xD

Tewudin    44

Again it was just an idea, and after reading the feedback glad to say I'm wrong here, maybe shouldn't put up stuff I think off before I go to sleep anymore xD

Don't say that! We need this kinds of discussions on this forum. :D It's interesting place to see other people opinions on such matters, you know. Maybe you were wrong (at least that's what you said!) at the end but at least I think some of us may or may not learned something from this thread... or at least it was fun commenting here, I don't know. All I want to say is that this kinds of threads are welcome here. I think. I wonder if someone would disagree with me on that. ;)

Davos    5

Seriously, you really never know what people on the servers might like, it never hurts to throw out suggestions, I have seen my fair share run with so far.

DerrickStorm    34

[align=justify]Nah. To be honest when I've joined DayzRP I didn't know the map at all and had only few hours game experience. Thanks to that when I was trying to leave Gorka after few days spent there I go to the woods towards Novy during the night and after about 30-40minutes of being lost I arrive at Gorka from the gas station side... I really loved learning the surroundings in character when statying for few months only in NE part of the map (where the longest period of not interacting with another player was around 12days). I still don't know most of the map and I don't think it's not realistic even at this point in the events timeline.

When it comes to not knowing the controls, I have a little cheat sheet just in case to not mix-up buttons.

Vandy    34

I only had 26 hours under my belt when I joined this community.

I do not think this game tiem should be obligatory.

Jack Allen    18

I usually just follow the roads I know. And I know plenty of roads in dayz. But not enough to know the full map, Ok idea.

Sandy    3

Regarding the map and general knowledge of things in game I feel that its quite the opposite and people know too much. For people to know the names of every town in the map is unrealistic, I don't even know the names of every town in my home city. Also people can come from other parts of Chenarus since South Zagoria is just a part of the country, with people starting new characters and new players joining there has to be some story as to how come no one had heard of them for 8 months. As for people putting up hands and stuff really they should know, it is basic game mechanics that everyone should be aware of but I don't think that a minimum time is required, probably just advice all players to read a guide on the emotes and hot keys.