Server time: 2017-10-16, 22:00
Safe Zone: OPEN

Sign in to follow this  
Boston

Disk Drive Space?

Question

Boston    767

Yo,

So, I recently installed OBS, and it takes up a ton of space to record apparently. I've defragmented, and done everything on this disk-cleaning software: 

DiShZrT.png

This is what I have after doing all that:

vyoh6FQ.png

I know it might be picky, but I need more room on that drive 'cause my machine is slow as balls now.

Any ideas? I've defragmented a couple times now, and deleted all recordings. I've also done every option in that weird disk cleaning application I found.

13 answers to this question

Guest Vittoria   
Guest Vittoria

So you deleted the recordings, but there still is no space being cleared up on your disk is what your saying?

Boston    767

So you deleted the recordings, but there still is no space being cleared up on your disk is what your saying?

Yep. I've deleted every recording made with OBS, unless OBS saves a secondary version of recordings somewhere I don't know about or something like that. Is there any where else I can look for stuff that would eat up drive space?

Guest Vittoria   
Guest Vittoria

Well, its only a 55 GB drive, so you can go around looking through the properties of folders and seeing how much space the folder is taking up, might help you find some type of secondary recording, or something else taking up space? Dunno, never used OBS.

Could also google for help, or make sure your cleared you recycle bin. ;)

Boston    767

Well, its only a 55 GB drive, so you can go around looking through the properties of folders and seeing how much space the folder is taking up, might help you find some type of secondary recording, or something else taking up space? Dunno, never used OBS.

Could also google for help, or make sure your cleared you recycle bin. ;)

Yep. I did what you said, and now I've got 10 gigs of free space. I'm gonna wait and see if anyone else has any other ideas before I call this solved.

What you said seemed to have helped a little, apparently there was a bunch of crap in my downloads folder. Mods for ArmA III and the like, and I deleted that and that freed up a little space.

Guest Vittoria   
Guest Vittoria

Wanted to add too, you can also search by file size, but typing in what I typed in the search bar.

4e12f7862bec0b522df3ac92f25dd4c2.png

Sorry if im spamming and this doesn't help, just thought you might wanna know this too.

10/10 paint job

Defiance    96

See if you can get OBS to automatically save them to your backup drive. That's what I do with Overwolf.

Brad    158

See if you can get OBS to automatically save them to your backup drive. That's what I do with Overwolf.

You should be able to change the folder it saves to in the settings as Red has suggested.

The recording files can get pretty large pretty quickly.  I accidently left my recorder on for 17 hours the other night and the file took up 15 GB

This link should show you how to change the directory for the save files

https://obsproject.com/forum/resources/how-to-save-recordings-of-your-stream-in-obs.90/

+1 to Sebias idea for searching by file size.

I've found myself in your situation a few times before (having a tiny little 60GB SSD) and what I've done is start in the root folder, then right click > properties on each folder. I'll check the size of each folder to make sure it's a sensible value. 99% of the time the culprit is the C:\Users folder. You can rinse and repeat this method within any folder you think is too large until you're happy you've gotten rid of the junk. You may need to show hidden folders to make sure there isn't anything hiding - Start button > Control Panel > Appearance and Personalization > Folder Options > View tab > Advanced Settings > Show hidden files, folders, and drives > OK

Hope this helps.

Whip    0

Yo,

Any ideas? I've defragmented a couple times now, and deleted all recordings. I've also done every option in that weird disk cleaning application I found.

OK well  Defragging an SSD is BAD

When you defrag a hard drive, especially a SSD, it will end up causing tons of small write accesses, which will reduce the lifespan of the hard drive and slow it down.

Does your SSD Support TRIM Command? If so This is what you should be using to remove files on your SSD.

Just Saying for future reference!

Boston    767

Yo,

OK well  Defragging an SSD is BAD

When you defrag a hard drive, especially a SSD, it will end up causing tons of small write accesses, which will reduce the lifespan of the hard drive and slow it down.

Does your SSD Support TRIM Command? If so This is what you should be using to remove files on your SSD.

Just Saying for future reference!

I just restarted my computer and got a bunch of scary flashing screens and percentages. Something weird happened.

But yeah, I just checked, and I do support TRIM.

Boston    767

I have a satisfactory amount of room on that drive now. Thanks everyone for the help, tips, tricks, etc.

Solved.

jason hunter    61

one more thing you can do is download CCleaner https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

once you done that open CCleaner and then click tools

then system restore

then delete all the sytem restore points but don't delete the 3 recent once In Case you have to fix a problem on your PC.

doing this gave my Pc 100 GB back.