Server time: 2017-08-21, 10:22

Sign in to follow this  
Joaquin

What are your RP tips?

Joaquin    0

I apologize if their is already a similar thread. I've been having an unbelievable time on the DayZ RP servers! I was whitelisted several months ago but only recently got around to having time to sink into the game. I've met so many people on my journey, people I hope to meet again someday. I've always been interested in the RP style of play but was always nervous to actually commit to a character and play my part. I believe my first encounter left a lot to be desired in the way of RP from myself, so I've set out to improve. What are some of your tips pertaining to role-playing? Any tips for staying in character? Developing a character and it's back story? Deciding to be good or bad, or maybe even a little of both? Tips on being held up or robbed and how to handle it? How much RP is too much?

I appreciate any and all replies that I may receive. It's all about improvement so the experience is enjoyable for all of us. This is an incredible community seperate from the toxicity of the mainstream DayZ fan-base. I'm happy to be a part of it. I hope to see you all in Chernarus. I play S2-US. My name is Kendrick McCandless, but people call me Ken.

WipeoutYeti    1

I am curious about the responses to this post. I also feel I have trouble with the RP in game right now. I've always been pretty good at forum RP for the most part, but I'm still adapting to I game RP. (I'll have better luck when I get my new headset too)

Brad    155

Sometimes I find writting down some more lore/backstory for my character very helpful.  After all they've lived a life before this and have stories to tell.  Typing up life events for a character has helped me to translate more depth into my characters, and can be a lot of fun to create, and for others to read if they've met your character.

Some people also make journals chronicling the things that happen to their characters in RP

Check out some other peoples threads for ideas!

http://www.dayzrp.com/f-Lore-and-Stories

Tewudin    44

I don't know what to tell you because I'm new here as well but there is one thing I know that's important at the beginning. I think the best way to get into the world, your character et.c is to not create a complicated character. Someone who will be easy for you to play so you could learn so basic things about server, RP, other stuff etc. What I mean by saying "no complicated character"? Simple things with your backstory, character behaviour et.c I don't know how to explain it. For example, typical man with childhood loving family, normal job etc.

Long story short - don't make your RP less easier at the start. Try simple things with your first character and maybe in the future when you'll gain more experience try something new, more interesting/complicated. :)

I got 1 tip for you. Try to imagine that you are the person you play. Would you run up to a group of armed people? Would you carry a m4 or would you stick to a pistol?

One tip for Hostile roleplay

Fake Executions are awesome and I do them when I can

What I do is tell the victim to count down from 10 and then shoot above him

He might try and run but dont kill him just get everybody to laugh at him shit himself

This is tip makes it way funnier,not for the victim ofc

Joaquin    0

Sometimes I find writting down some more lore/backstory for my character very helpful.  After all they've lived a life before this and have stories to tell.  Typing up life events for a character has helped me to translate more depth into my characters, and can be a lot of fun to create, and for others to read if they've met your character.

Some people also make journals chronicling the things that happen to their characters in RP

Check out some other peoples threads for ideas!

http://www.dayzrp.com/f-Lore-and-Stories

This is a fantastic idea! I'll do that as well and check out the other threads. Thank you.

I don't know what to tell you because I'm new here as well but there is one thing I know that's important at the beginning. I think the best way to get into the world, your character et.c is to not create a complicated character. Someone who will be easy for you to play so you could learn so basic things about server, RP, other stuff etc. What I mean by saying "no complicated character"? Simple things with your backstory, character behaviour et.c I don't know how to explain it. For example, typical man with childhood loving family, normal job etc.

Long story short - don't make your RP less easier at the start. Try simple things with your first character and maybe in the future when you'll gain more experience try something new, more interesting/complicated. :)

I was thinking that same thing when I first signed up. I've made my backstory relatively simple for the reason. The TL;DR of my character: grew up in NC, born into father's illegal business dealings, fell in love with a Russian woman, moved to Chernarus to get away and start a new life (boy, did that come true) with my wife and unborn son mere months before the outbreak. There are other, smaller details and intricacies that I have in mind that should aid in RP during certain situations.

I got 1 tip for you. Try to imagine that you are the person you play. Would you run up to a group of armed people? Would you carry a m4 or would you stick to a pistol?

Very true and something to always consider. Thank you. I base my weapons choice on my own story for sure. In the past in my story, I was born into an illegal business in western North Carolina. I justify using heavier weapons classes with having dealt with them in my past. If I have a different character in the future, it'd be interesting to be more limited in knowledge pertaining to fire arms. I might go with something that easier to handle, like a simple pistol.

One tip for Hostile roleplay

Fake Executions are awesome and I do them when I can

What I do is tell the victim to count down from 10 and then shoot above him

He might try and run but dont kill him just get everybody to laugh at him shit himself

This is tip makes it way funnier,not for the victim ofc

Haha, I'm sure I'll wind up on the victim's side in that exchange.

Don't go rambo epic bandit of evilness dark sorcery missile firing polarbears and cruelty on your first few days, get familiar with the rules first.

xIO_VAPEG0D_OIx    752

Don't go rambo epic bandit of evilness dark sorcery missile firing polarbears and cruelty on your first few days, get familiar with the rules first.

+1

TLake    23

As an AMURICAN! I cannot do this sir, rambo is like my imperator for lyfe 420blaze and all that. Ya dig?

As an AMURICAN!  I cannot do this sir, rambo is like my imperator for lyfe 420blaze and all that.  Ya dig?

Sure I dig.

Your grave

TLake    23

As an AMURICAN!  I cannot do this sir, rambo is like my imperator for lyfe 420blaze and all that.  Ya dig?

Sure I dig.

Your grave

anchorman-1436196116.gif

Brad    155

Also finding a group to roam around with is a great way to get your character developed, see how people react to them on a daily basis.

NEVER   EVER GO OOC IN VOIP! And Never acknowledge glitches such as gun glitches in voip

NEVER   EVER GO OOC IN VOIP! And Never acknowledge glitches such as gun glitches in voip

Mhm, if someone is gun glitching however, you can always ask them if they got ants in their pants or why they are flinching so much :D

Guest Phat J   
Guest Phat J

Hmm, I guess act like your character would.

Brad    155

Mhm, if someone is gun glitching however, you can always ask them if they got ants in their pants or why they are flinching so much :D

"Sorry, I swear I had a combat knife in one of these pockets"

Defiance    96

Don't stand right next to someone while you're talking to them. Give people some distance. Never intimidate someone you aren't willing to get sniped for.

When you're initiated on, just put your hands up and comply. It's much easier than getting blasted and being reported for NVFL. I also really dislike it when people RP out glitches. There's no reason my character would be dancing, so stop telling me that I am. Just quickly tell me OOC and I'll fix it. Much easier than ruining my immersion with you telling me I'm dancing. IGNORE (most) GLITCHES in-game! They make no sense! If you do want to RP out a glitch, play it off in a very believable and subtle way.

ImDeZ    0

Live your character. I prefer not playing with my daily life vocabulary. I don't use the same slang and stuff, as it does not fit my character. And use realism! Try to be realistic, would you really try to rob 3 armed people when you have a crappy gun? I don't think so :). And separate out of character from in character, don't talk about irrelevant stuff in character, such as ''Brb, Imma' go grab a drink'', please :P.

Wulfe    6

Something that I find is tricky is just knowing what to talk about. Most people you meet are just everyday survivors like you - or they keep their organizations and motives to themselves at first.

So when you and another guy meet at the well and proceed to fill their canteens together, understanding what to say and avoiding awkward silence is really hard. My tip is to just act natural and roll with the punches.

Hollows    427

Don't surrender to bandits. When they initiate, unless you are caught with your pants down, hunker down in a building and make them realize it isn't going to be easy to be a bandit.

Tewudin    44

(...) don't talk about irrelevant stuff in character, such as ''Brb, Imma' go grab a drink'', please :P.

Why not? It's a good things, it makes your character more alive IMO, someone who actually has to drink or eat from time to time or even go to the toilet. ;) Though it's just my personal opinion, you might not agree with that.

MrBowTie    46

If you are with a group of people you don't know, then you and the random people get initiated on by a group of bandits.

You all run into a building! People are watching exits, but there is this one guy not watching an exit, just sitting by someone with there gun out not looking around and it seems he has found a very deep feeling for that mans ear (or your own ear) do not trust him he may be a spy from the initiating party and might start shooting when time runs out to surrender.

I guess I think it's fun to start knowing the basics, yet needing to learn still about firearms, medical treatment, and tactics. A lot of folks are very militarized, which is fine, but I enjoyed the development of learning such skills through other's teachings in roleplay.