Server time: 2017-08-20, 13:44

Sign in to follow this  
Primus Palus

Force Gamma?

Should Gamma Settings be Forced?  

145 members have voted

1. 1. Should Gamma Settings be Forced?

• Yes, they should be limited.
    • No, I should be able to turn it up to max.

It should go without saying how much a game changer turning up gamma to full is. See this:

[video=youtube]http://youtu.be/62REgGV4w3A

Some servers force gamma settings to a specific point and not beyond. I think this should be looked at.

Now before it's said, I crank my gamma up, and I vote that it gets limited. There's no reason for it. Just increase the loot drop for NVG's to balance it out.

-KG-    0

My vote goes for a yes, i have talked about this before. Personally i turn the gamma up, like 99% of the players on the server...but i would like to see it limited to 1.3 or something like that, it still needs to leave some room for personal settings and different hardware.

Guest Tizi808   
Guest Tizi808

Wear NVG's in real life while playing, GOSH!

Guest Wookiebookie   
Guest Wookiebookie

I don't like this, i have my screens gamma and brightness on max, and i need ~1.5 gamma and brightness in-game to see even in daylight.

Glenn    10

Well, it is an advantage what is UN REAL so i vote for a yes.

I would love to have it in real life but this is ridicules how bright it can be.....

1.3 would still be enough for me to take advantage of it, but that's the problem. For some, like Wookie here, 1.3 isn't even enough to see in daylight.

Glenn    10

Well, just update the DayZ patch because in most of the DayZ servers you can't do this gamma thing....

When i go in combat and record i will lower my gamma because i see it as a non legit combat thing.

Guest WaltteriH   
Guest WaltteriH

Brightness 1.0

Gamma 0.9

(Make NV goggles 2x rare)

Goz    2

Problem why people are racking up video options is : faulty lightening engine in arma. Flashlights are just light beams that go through buildings and cone of light is just silly. Same goes with lights on cars and weapons. Flares on weapons also need some love not to disappear after 15seconds. How many times you have ran through woods just to get epilepsy attack from constant dark/blinding light ? How many times you have looked at something just to move an inch and get either blacked out or lighten up vision ?

Throwable flares,chemlights and placeable fireplaces are well done but since everyone just rack up gamma/brightness/hdr settings rarely anyone uses them.

I proposed this some time ago but nothing hurts to do it again to try out :

For lightening purposes

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=6468

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=7137

For adding flashlights to weapon, and import flashbang/cs gas functionality (non leathal ways to disarm a person)

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=8063

Other link with attachable flashlight to a weapon or worn as a head light

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=18082

If lightning mods were implemented I believe we could see more use of ingame light sources.If it would be the case - we could maybe try limiting gamma/brightness settings.

It's better to change mechanic/source of abuse rather to cut down the solution,as that wont help at all.

Glenn    10

Well, it can be pitch black in the forest or buildings but when i go out at night in the forest there isn't much light either.

And the people who play fare by not rising up their gamma are in a disadvantage because of the sight and light.

I am game for limiting it to a maximum point but not locking it to a particular range.

In my opinion the game does not accurately replicate vision in low light conditions so the gamma correction can simulate a dark vision replacement of sorts.

Obviously this can be exploited to a certain degree but I wouldn't even say BMG's video is taking it too far.

A more diverse lighting option set can eliminate the need for this.

Tomeran    3

Maybe prevent people from setting gamma to max, but I'd be against tweaking gamma settings at all.

And am I the only one that see a serious downside with raising gamma? Yes, you can see some things better in the dark, but in general gamma makes most objects and details that arent against the horisontal line a pain in the arse to see. It messes with perception to the degree that its only -slightly- better then looking in complete darkness.

I rarely raise my gamma these days because of this.

Glenn    10

Also it makes the game so ugly...

And sort of cheating haha

Sir Hawke    28

You know that people can crank up the gamma on the screen without doing it in the ingame settings, right?

Tweaks on the screen gamma controls and tweaks on the computer settings (also there is programs for it). You don't need to turn up the ingame settings to see in the dark.

This might work for a while, but some people will abuse the settings on his/ hers computer/ screen and they will be able to see in the dark just as well as before. Plus there is no way to prove that people are doing it.

It's just gonna turn into a rage contest on the report section, accusations against players that others believe has cranked gamma settings and people quitting the server.

I would be all for it, but it's way to easy to just crank up your gamma elsewhere.

It's not going to work imo.

Sky    1

I'd agree that its not ideal, but neither is being able to see over walls in third person. Not really sure what can be done about it to be honest, I'd be open to possible solutions though.

Also it makes the game so ugly...

So true, I remember when I first joined the server you were always telling me to NOT turn the gamma at night as it was breaking the roleplaying immersion !

I must agree with this as long as the "lock" keep it high enough to at least see something without being cheated. I mostly use between 1 and 1.2 during nightime.

-KG-    0

Problem why people are racking up video options is : faulty lightening engine in arma. Flashlights are just light beams that go through buildings and cone of light is just silly. Same goes with lights on cars and weapons. Flares on weapons also need some love not to disappear after 15seconds. How many times you have ran through woods just to get epilepsy attack from constant dark/blinding light ? How many times you have looked at something just to move an inch and get either blacked out or lighten up vision ?

Throwable flares,chemlights and placeable fireplaces are well done but since everyone just rack up gamma/brightness/hdr settings rarely anyone uses them.

I proposed this some time ago but nothing hurts to do it again to try out :

For lightening purposes

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=6468

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=7137

For adding flashlights to weapon, and import flashbang/cs gas functionality (non leathal ways to disarm a person)

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=8063

Other link with attachable flashlight to a weapon or worn as a head light

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=18082

If lightning mods were implemented I believe we could see more use of ingame light sources.If it would be the case - we could maybe try limiting gamma/brightness settings.

It's better to change mechanic/source of abuse rather to cut down the solution,as that wont help at all.

+1

Goz    2

Yup, tweaking gamma&brightness can't be stopped. But if addons(check links) could proove to be succesfull there is a slight chance that more people will abandon 'tweaking' as ingame lightning would become more 'friendly - attractive'

Yup, tweaking gamma&brightness can't be stopped. But if addons(check links) could proove to be succesfull there is a slight chance that more people will abandon 'tweaking' as ingame lightning would become more 'friendly - attractive'

Exactly +1

I'm always for more immersion but I must admit that the nightime we have make it very hard to play with low gammma.

And since we all know that probably the majority of the players are using "tweaked-gamma", it's hard to resist ?

+1 to what Goz said.

Yeah if we're going for realism it's not terribly realistic on the way the lighting is set up in game. As I mentioned in the 'RP2 darkness' thread, it's frustraiting either being able to see (in theory) what you are shooting at, or pulling out your gun and firing. No headlamps. MILLIONS of high tech weapons and no NVG drops. Really, this place is NOT realistic at the best of times just from how ARMA II works.

Tortov    0

What if we've all been eating lots of carrots?

It is too bright and monochrome, but in low level light conditions your vision is monochrome because the cones in the retina don't work well.

Eyes adjust to low level light better in reality than they do in Arma 2, especially with full moon and stars. It shouldn't be as clear as day as it appears like in this video, but nor should it be pitch black as it can be without gamma settings pulled up, in my opinion.

Sign in to follow this