Server time: 2017-10-21, 05:08
Safe Zone: CLOSING SOON

Sign in to follow this  
Tomeran

The Outpost project Version 4 - The Settlement

Tomeran    3

So okay, time for this again.

Over the last couple of months, TOR and the new outpost project has been in a slow but steady decline. Although im certainly at least partially to blame for this, I've also come to the conclusion that part of the problem might lie with the way the outpost project is now structured. The project is such a huge part of TOR, so the way it is structured directly affects the entire clan.

The current structure, version 3, is called the network, and is basicly built in a series of smaller camps that arent manned and are just meant to be tiny supply outposts where people can find essential gear.

It was created that way to reduce the HIDIOUS amount of attacks that outpost model nr2 sustained in Chernogorsk, and it certainly did that job well, because attacks against the network has practicly been non-existant. But as previously mentioned, it also had a lot of negative side effects.

The suggestion (finally)

So considering this, perhaps it is, once again, time to change the outpost project significantly.

This idea has been brooding in my head for quite the while, and the reason im bringing it forward now is that there seems to be growing support for some sort of non-TP fixed survivor base/settlement, as well as many having expressed that they've missed the old Cherno outpost model.

The suggestion itself would mean something like this:

- The "Outpost" is converted into a survivor settlement or base, with a fixed location that would ideally be easy to reach and easy to defend against the dead ones. It would act as a haven to all friendly survivors, and still live up to the old outpost purpose of providing basic gear to as many friendly-natured survivors as much as possible.

- In addition to its old outpost purpose, the settlement would be a place for roleplaying and meeting new people. There are vast possibilities in building a "society" and IC community of survivors here, not neccecerily bound by clan association(they wouldnt have to be TOR members to be part of the settlement), that could effect and descide on how the settlement would be run and controlled. For all accounts and purposes, this could eventually lead to the outpost loosing its "open door" policy to strangers as well, but if that would be part of development roleplay, then so be it.

- The settlement, just like the original outposts, would not fall under the protection of admin-enforced safety. At least not in the beginning. If the settlement project eventually faces the same amount of attacks as version 2 in cherno did, then perhaps it could be considered, but the clan climate is different now from what it was then, and I believe this is at least worth a shot following the "older style" security arrangements of player-enforced safety.

- The settlement could act as a secondary trade post, but due the fact that its not an admin-enforced safezone, there's a significant risk to this. Also the policy that we give away certain gear for free would probably conflict with certain trader's interests.

Regarding bandits

The big issue, in fact the primary reason version 2 ceased to exist in Chernogorsk. But as I said, things are different now.

The main antagonizers of version 2 back in the day was SDS and Z.C. Neither exist today, and I'd dare to say the current clans are generally more agreeable and friendly.

Also, a fact highly in favor of this idea, is the fact that most people and clans now try to follow a roleplaying path. This makes massive and constant attacks against a settlement that would give away gear for free even more questionable, since roleplay generally means acting sensible(even if that's not always the case, obviously).

The "there's no need to rob a place if you're given the stuff for free anyway"-argument is an old one and has not always ringed true(back when OP guards had military hardware), but this time, if civilian weaponry is more emphazised, I believe it could be a truer argument.

I also believe that agreements of mutual respect even between bandit clans and the settlement are much more feasible now, and at the very least, the frequency of any attacks could be toned down to a reasonable level.

All this being said, the settlement will still need a lot of protection, so there's plenty of opportunities for allied clans to make themselves useful.

This one's tricky.

Although I've always been a stern supporter of the outpost being strictly located on the south coast, im finally letting go of that idea.

In fact, perhaps it doesnt even have to be on rp1. Seeing the immense problems of bringing enough people to rp2, maybe this project could be a golden opportunity to bring more roleplayers to rp2.

Either way, the settlement would need a solid location with at least one large enterable building(see previous fixed outpost locations) and a perimeter that is easy to reinforce and defend against both zombies and bandits.

It also helps immensely if there's a lootable village or town nearby.

The alternative is simply to build a massive camp out in the woods or in a field somewhere, but due to the severe limitations to camp building, that doesnt seem quite as an attractive idea for me.

But who knows, maybe the devs could help design a good place, even.

So yeah, there you go. Bring the rain of feedback, im looking forward to hear people's thoughts about this.

Khardia    0

I like the idea! Have you thought about using a PCB as the location?

Keep us updated! and PM me with what we need!

Ranger Khardia, out for duty.

If youdont want to interfere with traders, why doesnt the community agree on a "currency" of sorts. I mean he we all need to properly wipe our bums at some point right? and we do need those empty cans if we dont have any food. Why not suggest survivors to bring junk for treasure? sorta speak.

the outpost idea was very cool and everyone knew it. it was a hot zone for interactions/robberies so everyone love/hate(d) it.

I think you guys should do this.

Tomeran    3

If youdont want to interfere with traders, why doesnt the community agree on a "currency" of sorts. I mean he we all need to properly wipe our bums at some point right? and we do need those empty cans if we dont have any food. Why not suggest survivors to bring junk for treasure? sorta speak.

yeah that's been suggested before and doesnt really work properly due to highly limited inventory size. If there was an item stack that was larger then 10 it might've been possible.

3 rolls of TP for a double barrel? 2 rolls and 2 tin cans and a rzor because you need to shave for a winchester? backpacks are findable. its easy to find a huge amount of junk then hand it over for goodies all whilist having roleplay interaction

*shrug*

im sorry i didnt mean to turn the topic.

Your group needs more numbers to pull off a good "Outpost" thats the biggest feedback i can give on that topic.

Tomeran    3

yeah..carrying junk with you to trade is only reasonable if it was based on a weight system rather then the junk taking the weight of something that could be significantly more valuable and useful.

I'd love to see an RP use for a razor or a toilet paper roll too so im not completly rejecting the idea of using them for bartering. I just dont think they'd be proper as actual -currency-.

Nikolai B.    0

Kamishovo dockyard warehouse.

Zombies cannot enter in any way because both doors are on the docks.

The large door are wide enough to support the largest vehicles parking inside.

Fits several vehicles of any size inside.

Spawns what warehouses spawn.

Since both doors are on the same side, given some sandbags, an actual fortification can be built inside to make this place very very defensible.

Just saying :)

Since both doors are on the same side, given some sandbags, an actual fortification can be built inside to make this place very very defensible.

Also a great way to get boxed in and cornered. :3

Tomeran    3

Thank you for the suggestion!

Unfortunetly the location has a few problems. I'd like a more central location, as much in the middle as possible. And the hangars, while defensible, arent really that "cozy" to be a suitable settlement location.

Polana factory might be a better idea, but the place is a conflict center and has a history of fierce firefights.

I guess I'll also have to look at suitable locations on rp2, if people (more then myself, hopefully) think that rp2 could use something like this.

In the end, location is of secondary importance to the objectives and structure of the idea, which I'd love more feedback to.

Guest WaltteriH   
Guest WaltteriH

I like the Kamyshovo warehouse aswell, bit too far for bambi's from Elektro to get to, but should work...

//Tomeran you are one persistent son of a bitch :P

Don't give up Tomeran !

Love the idea (Again?), I will try to help as much as possible. I still have TOR in my heart so a part of me still refill the outpost :D

Maybe I should apply as a official associate ?

ZeroXiz    0

I think what you need to focus on is having groups to back you up, PMC's etc.

Taking a PCB to do the outpost would be ideal and amazingly cool.

Tomeran    3

I think what you need to focus on is having groups to back you up, PMC's etc.

Taking a PCB to do the outpost would be ideal and amazingly cool.

A PCB is a pretty good alternative. Im not sure on how many groups that regurly swarm them for the SUV and for the base, but I think it could work. Worth considering.

Its also worth highlighting that the new version 4 "outpost" would be a settlement, as an actual place where survivors would live, not just like the old outpost model where its just a building to store supplies.

Powdermen    0

You won't get any trouble from M.M, so you can stop worrying about that. Feels like a giant weight has been lifted from your shoulders eh??

Tomeran    3

Oh..uh..yes, feels great. :D

ZeroXiz    0

Sorry, who?

;)

Let us know what the outcome is asap Tomeran, interested in working this out in CLF!

Tomeran    3

After some discussion in IRC, and due to lack of interest(that I've heard of at this rate at least) for this project to be hosted on rp2, the outpost will start off at rp1.

Another primary reason why it would not move to rp2, despite the fact that it could use it more, is that I am not convinced that it could attract enough people to rp2 to make the idea feasible and entertaining. The settlement needs a certain amount of people to function properly, and with Taviana having an average of 1 player online at a time, im not convinced it'll be enough. Maybe that'll change with Panthera, who knows. And it could also be subject to change if the settlement gains a large enough following willing to migrate with it to a different map.

Currently looking into the possibility of using a PCB as a settlement location.

Ego    1

Im guessing admins adding buildings to the server isn't an option? Would Ozerko (Inbetween Cherno and Nadez) be a suitable spot? Its closeish to the coast, water, large enough space. Idk just a suggestion!

Vasily Malyy    10

You could put it on top of Sniper Hill, or that other hill North of Elektro. CSR'll help fill it up with our findings in our territory, because TOR's just......awesome.

Diremast    0

You could put it on top of Sniper Hill, or that other hill North of Elektro. CSR'll help fill it up with our findings in our territory, because TOR's just......awesome.

I'm not T.O.R anymore but I think that would be a problem since it's a settlement not just a camp in the woods. From a RP aspect that makes no sense to place camp up over there.

Tomeran    3

Dusting this thread off since I never actually announced that the settlement project was put on ice.

Due to the TP discussion lately, I figured I'd revive the thread and see if people find the idea appealing.

Similar ideas have been flying around lately and I belive something similar was once attempted at a PCB, although I dont think it survived.

Gimme your thoughts.

Guest WaltteriH   
Guest WaltteriH

PCB

Rog

Elektro Schoolhouse (RIP in peace)

Cherno Construction site (RIP in peace)

Kamyshovo dockyard

Otmel (flat, on the coast, zombies cannot get in but 2 can spawn, you can just run there as there is shallow part in the water, and initiating is impossibru due to the lack of cover)

Tomeran    3

A PCB is pretty much the ideal location that I've been thinking about. It has the most "infrastructure" by far to support an actual settlement.

The main problem now to when I actually wrote this thread (was over a month ago) is that the clan climate has once again changed, and im not as utterly convinced I can make non-aggression treaties with all involved parties. Still, its worth thinking about.

And I'd definetly appreciate if big bandit clans like Legion, S-GRU and others could post if they'd consider a non-aggression treaty(possibly for a price, as long as its reasonable) with the settlement.

If we have to buy our way to safety then so be it, as long as things are done in a proper RP way and the place doesnt end up as the cherno outpost.

Also, since TOR is a pretty small clan, we'd definetly have to consider inviting other -trusted- factions and individuals to the settlement, as long as they'd adhere to a set of rules and guidelines.

In fact I should probably work on writing some of those down soon.

Guest WaltteriH   
Guest WaltteriH

As long as you use Civilian weapons, no need for us to save people from theirselves.

:troll: