Server time: 2017-10-17, 11:31
Safe Zone: CLOSED

Sign in to follow this  
Comrade Deg

Should RP 2 map change?

Comrade Deg    13

For the past few days I have noticed the server has been rather full for long sections of the day. Like right now as I'm writing this the server is full. I think maybe it is time to reopen RP2 as separate Chernarus map or at least for the upcoming summer since it will only get more crowed. I just don't want to see RP2 go to waist as it is right now. Any opinions or suggestion are welcome below.

Blizzard    0

taviana is perfect, people are just stubborn in joining into it. alot of good people have been joining up recently into taviana we had 15 people yesterday.

No, it should not change. Panthera is a terrible map, as is Namalsk.

Panthera doesn't even feel remotely like a zombie-infested nightmare like it should, it feels like an island vacation spot with some zombies thrown in and a hill every ten feet.

Namalsk is a PvP map where you can't even swing a dead cat around without hitting a military spawn and a forced "cold weather survival" mechanic that screws female characters over because we can't wear cold weather clothes!

Believe me, the lack of players has a lot less to do with Taviana being the map than it does with people not wanting to "start over", as it were.

Mavasaur    0

A 10 x 10km map should be put in instead of Taviana. With that minor change, it would still support a nice role play environment regardless of the lack of players. These large maps honestly suck for RP when there's anything less than 20 players on.

A 10 x 10km map should be put in instead of Taviana. With that minor change, it would still support a nice role play environment regardless of the lack of players. These large maps honestly suck for RP when there's anything less than 20 players on.

That's not true if there's a congregation spot (i.e. a TP). Truth be told, I rarely encounter anyone on RP1 unless it's either at the airfield or at the TP. I can generally hit up towns without too much static since I avoid the places where lots of weapons spawn.

Taviana may be a larger map, but over 50% of the map is covered in water. The actual amount of land on Taviana isn't that much more than Chernarus, and a lot of that land is covered in difficult-to-traverse mountains, further reducing the effective land mass. Plus, a lot more of that land is actually populated by more than just random trees, like large, creepily-empty cities.

Taviana only has four major cities and three airfields, so no matter how big the map is, there are only so many places that players can go to get decent items, which increases the likelihood of encounters.

And again, I cannot iterate enough how much a TP (or better, a survival compound) will improve RP. A lot of people tend to travel quiet and avoid contact as much as possible unless they're in a safe place like the TP.

Ruffboi    0

Namalsk is a PvP map where you can't even swing a dead cat around without hitting a military spawn and a forced "cold weather survival" mechanic that screws female characters over because we can't wear cold weather clothes!

In these times, we all suffer great sacrifices.

I stand corrected...

I just took the two maps in a scaled screenshot and measured the pixels that cover land mass, then converted the pixels to the map's scale. I included the islands located in the sea of Taviana, and ignored the two very large lakes on the map.

The map's scale is roughly 25 square meters per pixel, and my calculations assume that each grid square is 100x100 meters.

Taviana's total landmass: 221,495 pixels.

Cernarus' total landmass: 234,486 pixels.

Translated to square kilometers, that means that Taviana has about 138.4 square kilometers of total landmass, while Chernarus has 143.5 square kilometers, and that's counting Taviana's high peaks, volcanoes, and little islands in the middle of the ocean.

In other words, unless you have a helicopter or a boat, Taviana is smaller than Chernarus, so everyone can stop using the map's size as an excuse for not liking it! :P

Raun Paru    0

I think this community is stubborn, they don't wanna change anything. They wanna farm

gear off the non-bandits or trade in TP all day, or what have you, but either way

they don't wanna learn anything new or have fun in a new environment. Every change

that involves PoV or Map or basically anything that should be GOOD for the server is met

with resounding no's while people fish in any barrel for an excuse to not change anything.

Prospero    0

With the current player activity it will change, sooner or later.

Hardly anyone is on because its night almost exclusively. Some if us are absolutely loving Taviana. If it could be changed to a predominantly day cycle, could we see if its more popular before its removed?

-KG-    0

I stand corrected...

I just took the two maps in a scaled screenshot and measured the pixels that cover land mass, then converted the pixels to the map's scale. I included the islands located in the sea of Taviana, and ignored the two very large lakes on the map.

The map's scale is roughly 25 square meters per pixel, and my calculations assume that each grid square is 100x100 meters.

Taviana's total landmass: 221,495 pixels.

Cernarus' total landmass: 234,486 pixels.

Translated to square kilometers, that means that Taviana has about 138.4 square kilometers of total landmass, while Chernarus has 143.5 square kilometers, and that's counting Taviana's high peaks, volcanoes, and little islands in the middle of the ocean.

In other words, unless you have a helicopter or a boat, Taviana is smaller than Chernarus, so everyone can stop using the map's size as an excuse for not liking it! :P

with a quick google search i found that Chernarus is 225 square km, taviana is 625...you cant count the pixels on a map...

Jukki    1

That counts the whole playable are. Wich includes water. Besr in mind. Whole east and south has quite large area of water in chernarus. Taviana has even larger amount of water area.

Comrade Deg    13

I wasn't arguing which map is better it is just that the server is full most of the time when I get home and I only get a limited time during the week to play so I made this. Mind when I do play I like to make progress which never seems to happen. :P

I think the darkness issue is a big driving thing, I like night play and even I find it offputting. It's a good map though. I like the environment more then Chenarus to be honest, I think people just have their clans & their stockpiles and don't want to abandon all that and start somewhere new for a change.

with a quick google search i found that Chernarus is 225 square km, taviana is 625...you cant count the pixels on a map...

I'll never understand people that will quote someone else's post, but fail to even read what they quoted.

Wow. I never would have figured that the entire map is larger for Taviana, because it's not like I made a composite image of both maps and then scaled Taviana down so that both maps were on the same 25 meters/pixel scale.

Oh, wait...That's exactly what I did! Stop talking at me like I'm an idiot, please.

Chernarus has more LAND than Taviana. Why are you counting the water? The water has nothing to do with how big a map feels when you're running around on it. Are you trying to swim to other islands or something?

The map of Taviana is bigger, but over 50% of Taviana is water, while only about 10% of Chernarus is water. The actual space that will be used by the vast majority of the players is smaller.

Rolle    2928

With the current player activity it will change, sooner or later.

Hardly anyone is on because its night almost exclusively. Some if us are absolutely loving Taviana. If it could be changed to a predominantly day cycle, could we see if its more popular before its removed?

RP2 is day only now.

RP2 is day only now.

Hmm. Not sure how I feel about that. Makes flares, flashlights, night vision weapons, and chemlights totally pointless, but I guess we'll see how that works.

Alibaba    0

I think we should 'test' Panthera, but I think people will just play on it for lest say 4 days and then abandon it.

Guest Marcus Williams   
Guest Marcus Williams

Panthera.

Comrade Deg    13

Panthera.

+1

+1

Blizzard    0

panthera -1

i do like that its day now, gonna miss having the occasional night tho