Server time: 2017-10-23, 02:18
Safe Zone: CLOSED

Sign in to follow this  
Spotter

First Computer Build

Spotter    0

Well, gents. I made the terrible, misinformed, and naive decision of asking for an Alienware laptop in high school. Don't blame that Spotter, he didn't know any better.

This summer all of my money is going to go straight to my first desktop build. I'll be purchasing the parts as I work throughout the summer and will be learning along the way, and I'd like to ask for your guys' help. I'm new to all of it, so speak to me like I'm a 6 year old.

Budget: ~1500 US bucks

Experience: Zip

Needs:

-Recording

-Editing

-Gaming

I'm tired of being the amateur side of PC gaming, and I'm sick of 20 frames DayZ on Very Low settings. lol

Could you guys tell me parts, procedures, books, or whatever that you'd recommend for this summer project?

Sir Soarin    0

I'm pretty experienced building computers, I can throw you a list of parts that would be good for a gaming PC. I'll update this post when the list is completed.

Meanwhile, grab some popcorn and watch some guides on youtube. You can start

Ruffboi    0

Watercooling, 2GB GPU, around 8GB RAM, 3.5GHz CPU

- something along that line and you should be good.

Jukki    1

What parts can you recycle from your computer?

Edit: Herp derp, laptop.

Spotter    0

What parts can you recycle from your computer?

Edit: Herp derp, laptop.

My mouse

Tortov    0

3570k, GTX670, Z77, 1600MHz 8gb, 650w PSU.

Any variant of those, they are kinda the sweet spot for price and performance at the moment.

Jukki    1

prety much what tortov said, i have almost same setup, also try to get ssd if possible ;)

Sir Hawke    28

ASUS is your friend.

I read that as: "ANUS is your friend." -_-

My brain fucked up..

Rolle    2970

At least 5 threads like that already. You should know better.

building your first computer? always a grand experience. newegg can be quiet helpful with informational videos, also youtube as well.

never ever build a computer while standing on a carpet(barefoot) or build it on a carpet.

and if you want it to not suck over time clean it once a month of dust.

unless you run liquid cooling...

Best of luck. Would recommend an i7 if you want to fraps your whole gameplay while playing, with a 600 series GTX or similar.

ZeroXiz    0

At least 5 threads like that already. You should know better.

Different budget means different components! :)

I'll make a little list tomorrow.

Lrn 2 search. Get an SSD for booting and a decent recording drive. A fast 2 TB is perfect :D

If you're doing recording (not sure if that means gaming, audio, etc)... but you'll want more than 2 TB. I run two 1 TB drives and have about 500GB left. If I run Fraps constantly... I can eat that up in no time.

This is with games and other trash on my drives. You wont want games or anything else on the SSD boot if you go with that. I for one think SSD's are overrated and overpriced.

That said here are some things to consider in my personal opinion:

- Minimum Quad Core CPU, preferably 6 core. 8 cores are unnecessary.

- Go AMD/ATI. Cheaper and equal performance. Intel is overrated and so is Nvidia.

- Go 64 bit Windows 7 (do NOT get Windows 8) and run at LEAST 8GB of RAM. I run 16GB myself and that's up from 8 previously. Very noticeable with certain programs (ie Photoshop).

- Get at LEAST a 750 watt power supply. With upgrading potential in mind, GPU usage etc... 750 is a good high tier number. I have a 1,000 watt PSU myself.

- Do NOT get watercooling. If you're not savvy and wont be changing out the fluids, don't do it. Get a decent case with a number of fans (6 or so) and then add a decent CPU cooler and you're set.

- ASUS motherboard. Enough said.

- Talked about the case above, grab something from AZZA, Cooler Master, or NZXT. My next build will be this case here.

Now if you're afraid of building one or lack the experience and can't/wont learn how to do it... buy a computer custom built from people like CyberPowerPC or iBuyPower. You can use the custom builder deals on their website to build it the way you want it, and can physically see the price. You do get what you pay for... but it's usually cheap, reasonably built, and plug and play.

I can go and research each individual component if you really want to build one. But understand that it takes some technical know how, patience, and understanding. Keep in mind that if you do a build, get all of the components around the same time and price them out. Nothing is more irritating than getting 8 parts from 3 different retailers across 3 months... come to find out one part is defective and now you're outside your return date.

Spotter    0

I am dying to start working my summer job. My first paycheck is going to go directly to the case. I'm going to go through the process one part at a time, learning what I can as I save up for the next one.

I'm very excited to get this started. Again, pardon my current absence, gentlemen and ladies. Finals Week :'(

Lrn 2 search. Get an SSD for booting and a decent recording drive. A fast 2 TB is perfect :D

If you're doing recording (not sure if that means gaming, audio, etc)... but you'll want more than 2 TB. I run two 1 TB drives and have about 500GB left. If I run Fraps constantly... I can eat that up in no time.

This is with games and other trash on my drives. You wont want games or anything else on the SSD boot if you go with that. I for one think SSD's are overrated and overpriced.

SSD for boot and a separate SSD for loading games. Put that in with a general storage 500gb HDD and a 2TB drive solely for recording and you are gold. Even just the 1 TB drive would be fine if you regulate how much you record and back it up to an external HD each night. Or just simply delete what you do not need.

However, an SSD will certainly give you a major performance boost in ARMA, likewise a RAM disk would do the same. They are expensive thanks to the aftermath of the tsunami in Thailand but they are worth it if you can find one at a bargain price.