Server time: 2017-10-23, 17:13
Safe Zone: CLOSING SOON

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Alpha

Tradepost? It doesn't really make sense...

Guest Alpha   
Guest Alpha

Tradepost. Lovely place to go if you just want to kick back and relax or mainly, trade your equipment for even better equipment!

But this leaves me wondering, what's the point really? What sort of value does it add to the RP environment? It doesn't make sense.

A devastating zombie outbreak occurs, a lot of people get bit and turn and a large-scale apocalypse outrules almost the entire planet, only a couple of survivors are left. What do those survivors do? They don't build a safe house or a civilian community with thick walls and strong protection, no, they build a trade post. A trade post for what purpose? Yes, trading. Trading weaponry for even better weaponry, or cars, or food. And guess who goes there? Everyone. The good, the bad... all kinds of people are to find there.

Now this is pretty odd if you ask me. Even bandit groups are to find in a trade post, how can realistically seen, a bandit group possibly get along with any other crew or individuals just because they are in a trade post and OOC rules refrain them from turning hostile? Along with that it just doesn't make sense that the trade post isn't just called safe post or something, or some kind of community where people can live safely and try to restore humanity without having to worry about walkers.

So to keep things short, why in god's name would trading weaponry and food be more important during a zombie apocalypse than shelter, food and humanity?

So for the sake of realistic roleplay, why not just work this out a different way? With all due respect, I think the dev team should re think this.

Blizzard    0

I wish it would work out like that, the tradepost was built to more or less so people could meet other people and trade without fear of being robbed. that way people just didnt hide all the time and avoid people.

Guest gino2323   
Guest gino2323

I agree! people are just going there to park their vehicles/choppers.

plus it's their afk location.

Guest Alpha   
Guest Alpha

I wish it would work out like that, the tradepost was built to more or less so people could meet other people and trade without fear of being robbed. that way people just didnt hide all the time and avoid people.

Yeah, but I think first off people roleplaying bandits should use their common sense a little bit more and not go to those kind´a locations because they're bandits! Why the hell would a bandit go there? Why would someone with a mindset of killing and robbingp people do that? All I can think of is to assault the place and do harm to people, but since that would interfere with the rules, they just passively go there and observe. In that case they might as well stay away from the place.

And what I mean ofcourse people should be able to go to a location without the fear of getting killed, but why does it have to be a trade post? It's stupid that everyone's just marketing about and trying to sell their stuff to any random idiot. In what way is trading weaponry more important than surviving and taking care of basic living conditions such as sleeping, eating and comfort, warmth, etc... it just doesn't make sense.

Coorin    0

I think it works in practice more like a safe community than a trade post. Trading goes on, sure, and that would happen in an apocalyptic setting too. If I happened across some bad ass rifle, I'd trade it to some big evil bandit group for food or something. Honestly, in the post apocalyptic world, I'd be infinitely more likely to try and appease organized bandit groups than try and fight them.

Guest Alpha   
Guest Alpha

I think it works in practice more like a safe community than a trade post. Trading goes on, sure, and that would happen in an apocalyptic setting too. If I happened across some bad ass rifle, I'd trade it to some big evil bandit group for food or something. Honestly, in the post apocalyptic world, I'd be infinitely more likely to try and appease organized bandit groups than try and fight them.

Yes but it happens so stereo-typically much, it's unrealistic. People only seem to care about their weaponry and outfit, but all that actually matters is the roleplay and especially expressing emotions. If you'd be in a zombie apocalypse in real life, would you care how you look or if you've got a big gun or not? Sure you would about the gun, but all that's really important is if it can kill zombies, not if it looks fucking badass etc

Coorin    0

Yes but it happens so stereo-typically much, it's unrealistic. People only seem to care about their weaponry and outfit, but all that actually matters is the roleplay and especially expressing emotions. If you'd be in a zombie apocalypse in real life, would you care how you look or if you've got a big gun or not? Sure you would about the gun, but all that's really important is if it can kill zombies, not if it looks fucking badass etc

Yeah naturally. In real life drinking blood doesn't restore you to full health and shooting up with morphine doesn't fix broken bones. There are gaming aspects too, and people are here to game as well.

I agree though, and want a lot more immersion, as always. But I think the problem you're seeing is more due to a lack of RP than the nature of the TP. My character for example tries to avoid drinking soda as much as possible, since there's no dentist offices open. Anyone trade toothbrushes or toothpaste? Who carries a roll of TP in their backpack, or threatens to kill people with a razor blade? =X

The TP gives it a reason to be protected neutral ground. If it was a place for survivors to share in security, it would be open season for bandits (the old Outpost, anyone?). As a TP, bandits have some sort of reason to maintain it.

TrilbyAsh    6

I did mention the idea that someone could turn one of the PCB's into a Black Market or something. xD

I personally spend a lot of time in TP because it's the ONLY place I seem to find non-combat RP. I have yet to casually encounter others in the non-tradepost setting. It might be called the trade post but I treat it more like Switzerland: neutral and everything is too expensive for me :D

The Trade Post may be having a face lift and a re-draft of rules but in it's basic form it will stay.

A neutral ground encourages player interaction and brings people together that would not usually meet under normal circumstances, which is not a bad thing and is the entire point.

TrilbyAsh    6

Well, if there's going to be some re-drafting of the rules for it, think you Staff-Chaps can drop me a line, so I can fix up some new stuff for the TPD?

...And if there is changes structurally, could we have some kind of little firing range? People love trying out guns they've just got, and having a place to safely shoot without hitting someone by accident, would be fantastic. It'd certainly help to add a little bit of depth to the RP. Rather than just shooting at the Watchtowers.

Pavel    0

couldnt agree more alpha. ive wanted TP gone pretty much since i started playing here, just assumed i was in the monority.

Rolle    2979

The trading post name may be misleading, we could name it "happy safe meeting place (HSMP)" if people like that better. Yes, players trade items there out of convenience, but the most important thing is that we have a place like this on the server with a safe zone where players can meet up and roleplay without fear of getting robbed.

If you don't like the tradepost, it's very simple to avoid it as it's in a very isolated location with only 1 road leading to it.

Guest Cadan   
Guest Cadan

Should call it some kinda safe haven.

Pavel    0

why would there be a safe haven in an apocalyptic scenario?

Rolle    2979

Because it's a game and it's fun to have one? :)

Pavel    0

Because it's a game and it's fun to have one? :)

theoretically, i agree. however all i see is reports and bitching.

Blizzard    0

tp should be on the island lol, I just realized i could place bridges in the editor so you could make a bridge going to it

Guest gino2323   
Guest gino2323

The trading post name may be misleading, we could name it "happy safe meeting place (HSMP)" if people like that better. Yes, players trade items there out of convenience, but the most important thing is that we have a place like this on the server with a safe zone where players can meet up and roleplay without fear of getting robbed.

If you don't like the tradepost, it's very simple to avoid it as it's in a very isolated location with only 1 road leading to it.

i agree, but ppl are using the TP to go afk,park their vehicle and chopper for hours. like i said before 'make the entrance smaller'

and add a new rule "no choppers allowed in tp"

Caoineach    1

None of us really knows how a global, apocalyptic pandemic would go down, or how people would behave in the aftermath.

But if we take a look at local societal and governmental collapses, which are plentiful enough in this crazy world, we get some idea of what it would probably be like.

Would there be places like the TP in such a world? My thought is YES, there would be.

Why? Because no matter how bad things get, there are going to be crafts folk and trades people who want to carry on their merchant activities. There are going to be people who genuinely WANT to help others. There are going to be people, from con artists to thieves, to strong arm warlords who want to profit from such.

I envision a TP more like Trade Town from "Mad Max: Beyond the Thunder Dome". Some strong arm warlord (or warlady) is going to be able to patch together enough muscle to make a community where trade and other mutual exchanges are possible. Such a person or persons would establish defensive fortifications, rules of behavior, and a para-military police force to protect it all and enforce the laws (or even the whims) of the warlord/warlady.

In DayZRP Chernorus, perhaps there hasn't been enough time yet for things to degrade to the point where people are behaving more like those from Mad Max, and less like those from Gilligan's Island. I dunno. But that seems reasonable.

I don't think a place like the current Trade Post would last long. Not as it is now, and not as poorly organized and defended as is. But getting rid of a neutral TP without some viable, lasting alternative would take more away from the game; from the roleplay here than it would add, IMO. Others have at least hinted at that with stating the only reason the rest of us ever see them is because the TP exists. Otherwise they would be hiding from all other humans as much as possible.

Maybe some of you who don't like the TP as is would like to try your hand at assembling a clan, or tasking your current clan with taking over a PCB and holding it so that you could offer an alternative to the TP.

I think that would have HUGE potential for fun INCLUDING fun roleplay, both combat and non-combat oriented.

Just a thought.

Also, maybe an uneasy "alliance" of clans could work together to pull this off. That could add even more fun plots and situations within the uneasy alliance of forces maintaining the flimsy order of the outpost. There would be room for intrigue, non-violent conflict, violent conflict PLUS all the roleplay and interaction that currently exists at the neutral TP.

Pavel    0

i agree with caoineach that there would indeed be some kind of stronghold, fortified and defended from infected, wherein people could trade etc.

TP as it exists now? with no ownership or policing yet somehow everyone is expected to obey unwritten rules, forget rivalries etc and initiate no hostile action on enemies? i dont know about anyone else but to me that makes no RP sense at all.

Spotter    0

Imo, the TP should be more 'crap'.

Like, garbage forts :D.

The walls are too clean, and everything is so good. It shouldn't be.

http://www.dayzrp.com/t-makeshift-wood-walls

Does the wiping out of 95% of civilization mean that humans lose the ability to clean, gather resources, build simple constructs, fill burlap sacks with dirt or design a defense?

There's a tie between style, realism, and practicality. Trash walls are all style. Zero realism and practicality.