Server time: 2017-10-19, 14:43
Safe Zone: CLOSED

Sign in to follow this  
Primus Palus

Roleplaying Actions...

I'm curious to see what the community thought is. I'm on my phone so excuse the brief explanation. Do people think it's legitimate to RP actions out not possible by game mechanics.

For example... if I capture someone and tell a friendly to check the prisoner for radios and such... IC could I not refuse them use of say TeamSpeak? So if they direct people to attack me that it's OOC metagaming?

Another example... bagging someones head so they don't know where we are?

The radios one is possible but then again there is the possibility that they can then make actions to counter act yours. I would say the radios one is a perfect example of how things could work.

It goes both ways and starts becoming like god-modding I guess.

You want to create an experience that is enjoyable but not completely one sided.

Tomeran    3

This is always difficult to balance in roleplay in games that were not particurly designed for roleplay.

In my honest opinion, if someone says they search you for a radio, then yeah, a request to deny the sending of VITAL INFORMATION over teamspeak would be forbidden. At least I wouldnt do it if they asked it of me. I dont think it should however ban the use of teamspeak during the capture, just important details such as the identity of the captors or where you're being held. And in some cases, the fact that you've been captured at all.

In the end it is really difficult to hide a radio on your person if someone properly frisks you, especielly if you're left with precious little time to hide it. This also applies to radio transmissions before you're relieved of said radio, a topic that's been hotly debated lately.

Bagging someone's head might be tricky because there is no "turn vision off" button, but there's always the alternative to just look down in the ground. I think its visible as well if you look down in the ground to demonstrate that you're not looking when the captors drive you to a hidden location. I recall when S-GRU captured me many months ago they asked the same of me(even if I later recognized where they took me, as at that point I knew every square inch of Chernarus).

For example... if I capture someone and tell a friendly to check the prisoner for radios and such... IC could I not refuse them use of say TeamSpeak? So if they direct people to attack me that it's OOC metagaming?

Yes, if they continue to use TS after having their radio taken away via RP in game, it's metagaming.

Another example... bagging someones head so they don't know where we are?

In that event, they could still use TS, but yes, indicating their location to allies would still constitute metagaming.

Blizzard    0

If its roleplayed that well hopefully they would roleplay back and just have a nice story to tell.

Coorin    0

I think you shouldn't even need to search for a radio. To transmit, unless the person has some military arrangement going on, you'd have to whip out a radio, hold it up and speak into it. It's not at simple as just switching channels. If you have a team (or friends) on the line, it's very, very easy to simply say "Oh [clan] has me and they're taking me East of [town] in 2 UAZs". If you're packed in the back of the car with two pissed off dudes with guns, you're going to get out "Oh, [clan] has-" before you're beaten unconscious or shot.

The thing with RP is that, even in games made for it, it's VERY easy to godmode. It's just one of those things that takes a good community. People need to go into the RP with the intention of having a good RP experience rather than to "win". If they don't, it will be shitty RP for everyone involved, end of story.

For my part, I absolutely loved when I was abducted by RF. When I was "bagged" and put in the car, I left it in first person and either looked at another screen or the text chat while they dropped me off. I gotta say, I didn't "win", but I sure had a LOT of fun stumbling around looking for landmarks trying to figure out where the hell I was, and what town that was off on the horizon.

So, in short, yeah please play those actions out. If people don't comply or keep metagaming, they're shoddy RPers and simply make the whole experience worse for everyone involved, themselves included. I applaud anyone that goes that distance to increase immersion.

Caoineach    1

I think you shouldn't even need to search for a radio. To transmit, unless the person has some military arrangement going on, you'd have to whip out a radio, hold it up and speak into it. It's not at simple as just switching channels. If you have a team (or friends) on the line, it's very, very easy to simply say "Oh [clan] has me and they're taking me East of [town] in 2 UAZs". If you're packed in the back of the car with two pissed off dudes with guns, you're going to get out "Oh, [clan] has-" before you're beaten unconscious or shot.

The thing with RP is that, even in games made for it, it's VERY easy to godmode. It's just one of those things that takes a good community. People need to go into the RP with the intention of having a good RP experience rather than to "win". If they don't, it will be shitty RP for everyone involved, end of story.

For my part, I absolutely loved when I was abducted by RF. When I was "bagged" and put in the car, I left it in first person and either looked at another screen or the text chat while they dropped me off. I gotta say, I didn't "win", but I sure had a LOT of fun stumbling around looking for landmarks trying to figure out where the hell I was, and what town that was off on the horizon.

So, in short, yeah please play those actions out. If people don't comply or keep metagaming, they're shoddy RPers and simply make the whole experience worse for everyone involved, themselves included. I applaud anyone that goes that distance to increase immersion.

^^ :)

This ROCKS!

In the online MMO games I've played where there was a roleplaying community, this is how we handled things. There was consensus on what could or should occur "realistically", and most people were more than happy to play things out.

It really does add so much to the game experience when "winning" isn't your goal, but the "story" is!

Now what do you guys think of hooking someone into a vehicle and strapping them down or handcuffing/flexcuffing them? I've heard of a few people being taken prisoner and mid drive to wherever they are going the person bails out.

Would making someone be forced into being secure, be god moding?

Jukki    1

Have to say good thing you did RP with us too ;) I even tried to do most of the orders ingame too ;) (or when we "executed" other prisoners in the other barrack.)

Caoineach    1

Now what do you guys think of hooking someone into a vehicle and strapping them down or handcuffing/flexcuffing them? I've heard of a few people being taken prisoner and mid drive to wherever they are going the person bails out.

Well, I'm new to this community, so I hesitate to answer that question.

I will say it is probably easier simply to avoid RP beyond what is absolutely necessary with such players.

Rather than kidnapping that person's character(s) again, I'd simply rob 'em and leave 'em. If they don't want to realistically play out a situation, and the problem isn't something OOC like a need to log out very soon or something like that, then they're not worth my effort to try and weave a plotline with them.

If/when I play EEEVUL characters, my actions against other player characters are to enhance fun for all and develop stories, not to inflict anguish/humiliation upon my fellow gamers in some vain attempt to salvage my failed and miserable real life.

LOL! :D

But I think most of us have encountered gamers like that elsewhere. That is probably one of the main reasons why we are here instead.

Guest Cadan   
Guest Cadan

When ever I've captured someone, I've always done a text saying

*Removes radio, no more contact to friends can be made.

Pavel    0

i dont believe a captive should be prohibited from bailing from a moving vehicle. its likely they will die or at least break legs etc, and they'll be killed anyways for non compliance. so that decision to bail would not have been made lightly.

they are playing a game too, you cant restrict them from a last ditch attempt at freedom. wheres the fun in that?

Nikolai B.    0

To answer directly to OP -

It's a matter of trust. You trust the guy to be honest about not communicating on TS, and he trusts that if he complies to ingame calls for action he will not be executed.

Also, there needs to be mutual understanding that neither party wants the other to have a bad time OOC. more trust.

So yea, the key is to know who you are playing with, give or take, and trust them. this is why community is important.

If this trust is broken by either party - take mental note and do not trust this person again with high-end RP stuff.

In the end, you can't force someone to cooperate, but he can choose to do so, if he assesses it would lead to a better experience ingame than lying or just refusing.

Well, I'm new to this community, so I hesitate to answer that question.

I will say it is probably easier simply to avoid RP beyond what is absolutely necessary with such players.

Rather than kidnapping that person's character(s) again, I'd simply rob 'em and leave 'em. If they don't want to realistically play out a situation, and the problem isn't something OOC like a need to log out very soon or something like that, then they're not worth my effort to try and weave a plotline with them.

If/when I play EEEVUL characters, my actions against other player characters are to enhance fun for all and develop stories, not to inflict anguish/humiliation upon my fellow gamers in some vain attempt to salvage my failed and miserable real life.

LOL! :D

But I think most of us have encountered gamers like that elsewhere. That is probably one of the main reasons why we are here instead.

In my example it would be in the case of a military prisoner needed for questioning as opposed to robbing them or kidnapping them. The goal would be information and not what they had on them or their life. But ultimately if they refused to cooperate it would mean that.

My specific examples are not geared towards limiting the player or fun of it, but instead ensuring that RP further continues.

For example if I take a guy prisoner for the purpose of questioning. Mid-way to the interrogation point he bails from the car or having told his buddies where we were, ruins the entire fun of the RP. Now it's a pointless killing.

Whereas if I took steps to keep them from running or giving information to friends, I get to prolong the event and get some better character interactions out of it.

Comrade Deg    13

I feel bad about this but maybe if a *insert player name* was suspected of not RPing an event like this and has his buds come rolling in with 50 cars he/she would be punished. I'm not sure on what it would be it really dose suck when a team mate is has his communication cut and still relaying important information or when a hostage is bagged and ut in a car hes stealing all of the gear and still looking at his screen. Yet I mean this could be cool maybe the kidnap victim was able to sneak a map or small pistol in to shoe or reach into the trunk when no one is looking.