Server time: 2017-10-19, 23:28
Safe Zone: CLOSING SOON

Sign in to follow this  
R Steele

KoS Penalty

R Steele    0

I think there needs to be an addition to KoS penalties.

Lets say player A gets KoS on Player B and B files the report. It understandably takes time for a report to be addressed. In that time Player A takes the illegally gotten gear to a tent and stores it knowing when he is found guilty his char will likely be reset. When his char gets reset he still has the gear he took from the KoS and the person illegally killed is SOL.

I think part of the penalty needs to be that Char A must return the gear taken to Player B and if Player A refuses to comply the penalty needs to be stiffened considerably perhaps up to perm ban

Mavasaur    0

This is something that would be possible. However the GM team would have to put a lot of blind faith into the person who KOS'd someone. With that said, GM's like to operate into something we can control, IE, resetting players, banning them, warning points, even as far as deleting items or tents if it's full of gear they've gotten via illegitimate ways. All those previously mentioned are something we can do right away once a verdict is made, having a player return gear could and will be difficult due to time zones, not wanting to return it, etc. And will draw out reports much longer than they already take to solve.

I agree with this. Keep the report open... give the person a week to comply and if they don't punish them. Wouldn't take much of the GMs to enforce that.

R Steele    0

I just feel the way it is now that if you get a good rare weapon out of it that many feel the reward outweighs the penalty

Sky    1
R Steele' pid='84678' dateline='1366604779']

I just feel the way it is now that if you get a good rare weapon out of it that many feel the reward outweighs the penalty

Well all KoS bans come with a character reset, so they wouldn't be able to keep any weapons they stole (unless they stashed it or left it with a friend).

But I do agree that if your character was fully kitted out after spending a week playing/gearing and you're then KoS'd, a 3 day ban is hardly justice considering what you lost. I'd like to see standard KoS bans increased to 5 days.

You can force people to not be online.

You can't force people to be online.

What if I have exams the week after I kos someone? What if my grandma died? What if there was a fire?

Never, ever ever force people to be online in any way. It is a game, and it should stay fun. I understand that someone who kos'es you ruins the fun, but do you really get that fun back along with the gear? Part of the fun is acquiring that gear, isn't it? To be honest, I don't get the fun of that, I just roll with an AK and a British assault pack, but I always imagine people actually like to go searching for a DMR or whatever.

By all means, increase the bantime tenfold, but do not force people to get online.

Caesar    438

I honestly doubt people will accept a ban for a shiny new piece of gear most often time. At the end of the day if you get 3 ban strikes you will be permanently banned.

I think a ban and character reset is sufficient to be completely honest, I mean what happens if the guy who KoS'd lost the gear right after. A good example would be what happened recently for me, none of this was illegal.

I stole a hilux from CLF and went crash site hunting, I found a crash site just outside Stary Sobor. Another (or maybe the same) CLF member was already looting it. I initiated on him and he killed me. Now if that had not been another CLF member I would have no way of returning the Hilux if I had broken a rule.

R Steele' pid='84678' dateline='1366604779']

Well all KoS bans come with a character reset, so they wouldn't be able to keep any weapons they stole (unless they stashed it or left it with a friend).

But I do agree that if your character was fully kitted out after spending a week playing/gearing and you're then KoS'd, a 3 day ban is hardly justice considering what you lost. I'd like to see standard KoS bans increased to 5 days.

5 day bans for what often are mistakes? You are certainly a harsh judge. I am sorry but I must fully disagree with you here. I would prefer something like such:

33% - 66% Warning level (3 day ban on report leading to this level)

66%+ - (5 Day ban)

100% - Of course permanent ban.

Even my suggestion is not that great, you are taking the power out of admins hands to decide whether an infraction deserves a greater ban. You risk malicious offenders being tossed in with the innocent stupid ones.

You can force people to not be online.

You can't force people to be online.

What if I have exams the week after I kos someone? What if my grandma died? What if there was a fire?

Never, ever ever force people to be online in any way. It is a game, and it should stay fun. I understand that someone who kos'es you ruins the fun, but do you really get that fun back along with the gear? Part of the fun is acquiring that gear, isn't it? To be honest, I don't get the fun of that, I just roll with an AK and a British assault pack, but I always imagine people actually like to go searching for a DMR or whatever.

By all means, increase the bantime tenfold, but do not force people to get online.

I like this idea, even if RL problems happen, this solution would help.

I'd even say perma ban the KoS'r, the only way to redempt his acces to the server is to contact admins and proof he was innocent. (or Fresh start, everything deleted)

I know of two instances where someone was KOS'd solely because of their gear. A reset and 3 days is not nearly enough of a penalty.

As for the "what if I can't be online in a week"... then I guess you get banned. A week is more than enough time to retrieve someones gear. If something major comes up I'm sure the offender and victim can come to an agreement on by when the gear needs to be returned.

The problem will come if player 1 KOS's player 2 and then player 3 kills 2. Now the gear is gone. Would make returning it harder. But if the rule was in place it might deter people from KOSing.

Best solution in my mind would be if the admins gave everything lost back to the player. With the admin tools they can see what was lost and spawn them with the exact same gear. A little more work... but important and I think much appreciated.

Guest Wookiebookie   
Guest Wookiebookie

Admins should not return gear using their tools, this would lead to a higher amount of gear on the serverp

First rule of DayZ: "Do not get attached to your gear"

I think this is more than reasonable to assume that DayZ is designed as a mock 'rogue-like' that has persistent death. You die, you lose your gear. Obviously we are concerned that illegitimate actions are the cause of deaths but the vast majority of deaths come down to bugs also.

The amount of time and work this would involve for Admins is questionable and in my opinion not feasible. We rely a lot on the faith of players and do our best to give people a forceful nudge where it is appropriate.

Bear in mind we do also take previous punishments into account and we try to balance our judgement based on the severity and if they have improved.

Nice constructive thread :)