Server time: 2017-08-20, 21:17

Sign in to follow this  
Phiona Mercy

DayZ is hard...

I'm pretty new to the server. Haven't had any RP experiences yet except.. well -- surviving. Which I'm apparently not very good at; I literally keep getting killed by zombies.

I've played on a few DayZ servers before this, but I -swear- ... the infected seem to spot me easier on this server then others, and I honestly feel like I take more damage from them.

I've even had them spot me at a distance while I was crawling~

Although I seem to have an abnormally high ping to this server (200).

Trying to figure out ways to cope with it, but I'm wondering:

Are the zombie settings tweaked on this server, or am I just getting a continuous stream of bad-luck? I can't seem to run through multiple sets of bushes to lose them.. they're rarely fooled when I go to ground.. it's crazy. The ping is the only thing I can possibly think of.. I'm hardly a pro; but.. I literally have not survived long enough to meet another person /yet/.

I had a knife, an axe, an alice-pack, food, 3 cantines, a scoped AK-74, a silenced pistol, a bunch of clips and then.. I killed myself on a barracks door;

...but aside from -that- success... I've been getting killed by zombies most of the time before I can even get my hands on a weapon, and I'm belly crawling across fields.

Yes, zombie damage has been tweaked. A lot. The high ping is because the server is in Sweden. You are probably in the US, and you are used to US servers.

About the spotting, I am not sure. I have noticed it as well but I have only played DayZ on this server so I can't compare it with anything.

Rolle    2453

Zombies hit about 50% more, so from full blood it takes about 8-12 hits and you're dead. We haven't modified the detection values AFAIK :)

Sky    1

I play on 400 ping, so I can tell you the ping isn't really a factor as far as Zeds are concerned. As Gijs said, the damage has been upped substantially from the default value, as we wanted zombies to be something to be feared, rather than just an annoyance.

As far as surviving them, its just about learning the AI mechanics. Once you get a feel for how the AI works, its pretty easy to abuse it to your advantage.

Zhunk    2

Well, your feelings are correct. The zombies damage in DayzRP is higher then the usual one. I find it weird that you're not able to lose zombies through multiple sets of bushes. The high ping might be the cause of it (Or you're just not doing it right :S).

DayZ supposed to be a hard game, it might just be some bad luck.

It won't take long until you'll meet someone you can RP with. If you're really looking for meeting players and RP, you can go to the "Trading Post". There you'll meet plenty.

If you have any other questions dont hesitate to ask.

Tomeran    3

Yes zeds here are difficult. Having a swarm barrel down on you requires either a good defensive position or a retreat.

If you're new to the dayz experience, I'll suggest this: Never fight zeds in the open. You're crawling so you're apparantly taking the effort to avoid them. Zombie agro shouldnt be higher on this server then on other servers. But its important to note that the ground under you do different kinds of noise. Concrete do high noise sometimes even when you're walking or crawling, grass does not and gravel does average.

Final tip I have is to get a silenced weapon if you want to avoid detection. The crossbow is a pretty good alternative since its pretty easy to find and is utterly silent, and now also fairly efficent with the quivers. Its a little challenging to use properly but we do have a crossbow guide here.

Oh and yeah if you do get zombie agro, dont -ever- fight them in the open. Always try to fight them in large buildings if you can.

Rel    0

Zombies hit about 50% more, so from full blood it takes about 8-12 hits and you're dead. We haven't modified the detection values AFAIK :)

No, we haven't touched anything with their pathing and AI. We just boosted their initial damage / bleeding chance.

Yeah, they seem smarter to me. Like they charge -through- cover... (rather then lose track of me) and then start looking for me again on the other wise of it~ ... when they're behind me (or once they've physically hit me..) it becomes impossible to lose them with the 1 second delay on positioning because of their super-speed... (and Zeds -dod- run faster then people; it's the way the DayZ designers delt with the path-finding issue unless that's been completely reworked for this server...)

... I'm trying; I have brought a number of friends to DayZ, and shown them how to start out (and they've since surpassed me, because I'm not amazing at FPS's) -- but I can't seem to survive~ although I have also discovered that if crawling /up/ a hill with the Z's behind you -- they will spot you because your elevated to eye-level regardless of distance.. (And died shortly after this discovery) ...

I just can't seem to lose them~ Hahaha. And that's -terrible- when I can't get my hand on a weapon.

Got a fire-axe last night before I went to bed in 0101 but; never had so much trouble surviving before - making my way to Chern from the far south-east town.

I honestly have *no* idea where the exchange point is.

Maybe I just got "to good" "for my own good" -- and on the low-ping servers, was by now.. to the point where I could abuse the mechanics by instinct and get "the most" out of cover and bushes~

... I'm /very/ concerned about my hydration *all* the time, even crawling and things..

So maybe I'm cutting corners with how quickly I try to go to ground after bushes etc? But EVERY time I go to ground the zombies get me.

I've really been reduced to using hills and terrain to avoid them~ and even once, swimming (and we all know that takes about 20 minutes..)

I think it's my ping the more I think about it. I'm over a full second behind every time I log in.. every time I aim and fire, every time I try to axe a zombie-- and am taking guaranteeing damage, because if I don't-- the enemy is 1 full seconds worth of movement (with my axe) out of position~

-KG-    0

Could take 2 or 3 to pass out though, and this will lead to a certain death with this damage!

Skippy    4

Zombies do waaaaaaaaay more than a 50% damage increase. Vanilla is like 200 or 400- the zombies on DayZRP hit for at least 800-1200 or somewhere in that area. That isn't a 50% increase. The 8-12 hits to death is correct, but not the supposed 50% increase.

ElDubya    0

Phiona Mercy, jump in TeamSpeak next time you log in to the game and either find me (ElDubya, Barry Harper) or join the Free Medic's room and we'll look after you and show you the ropes. It's really not as difficult as you are making out it is, and I play on a 300-400 ping just like Sky and a few others.

-KG-    0

Zombies are client side as well so ping should not affect your zombie troubles.

Caoineach    1

Day Z is difficult. But survival in any situation approaching this zombie apocalypse would be.

I've had amazing luck in Day Z, as well as amazing bad luck. There have been times when my character has snatched life from the jaws of death, and times when he has been torn to pieces despite my best efforts to the contrary.

Although we must admit that there is a large level of "gameness" to Day Z, many of the mechanics of the game are amazingly life like.

I was VERY excited when I learned that Direct chat had range and that the Zeds respond to it with aggro. Man, if they had only had that in Age of Conan or Star Wars: The Old Republic, it would have gone a long way toward keeping my interest in the face of so many developments to the game that turned me off.

Perhaps many players of games like Arma 2 take the mechanics I'm excited about for granted, but I am not a big "war game" player, unless it is strategic like Shogun 2 or Sid Meier's Civilization. So a lot of the realism that is built into Arma 2 and the DayZ mod is new to me.

The zombies are stupid and easily evaded by line of sight blocking, but they are still very dangerous. Getting caught in a building with a half-dozen or more "walkers" is almost a guaranteed one way ticket to the zombie buffet. Particularly if you have no noiseless weaponry to deal with them.

One aspect of Day Z realism that really gets me is watching the Zeds "eat" their fallen prey. Oh man, that is so horrifying it gives me the creeps just thinking about it. Watching these computer generated ghouls crouching beside and grabbing at your fallen friends and making the "stuffing your mouth" motions......never seen anything like this in any other game yet. Not even Dead Island had that level of creepy detail, and it was the closest I've ever seen come to it until this game.

As to avoiding being eaten, there are some crucial steps to take. First, always be aware of line of sight, visibility and noise you are making. It is often better to crawl in the dirt and weeds than risk alerting Zeds to your presence. Even if you're moving slow in a crouch it is sometimes easy to aggro them.

When in doubt, hug dirt. And if you hear any of them give that growl of aggression, you'd better make damned sure they're not coming for you. Always look around you. Always.

Sorry to necromancer a thread-- but I started doing better the moment I went back to local servers~ I don't know if I just spawned in an area where the zombies were being hosted by someone else, or what-- I'm not certain how it works.. but honestly, I've been doing fine -- I've had cars, I've been shooting fine with my DMR-- it's just I get my ass kicked by -zombies- every time I log into DayZRP. It's freaky. Dunno what to say~

I know about the ground. I know about the meters. I've seen all of Frankie's videos and tutorials long before I started playing, and long before I came to DayZRP...

Dunno what to say, really -- although thank-you all very much for your help! <3

Stubbles    0

Sorry to necromancer a thread-- but I started doing better the moment I went back to local servers~ I don't know if I just spawned in an area where the zombies were being hosted by someone else, or what-- I'm not certain how it works.. but honestly, I've been doing fine -- I've had cars, I've been shooting fine with my DMR-- it's just I get my ass kicked by -zombies- every time I log into DayZRP. It's freaky. Dunno what to say~

I know about the ground. I know about the meters. I've seen all of Frankie's videos and tutorials long before I started playing, and long before I came to DayZRP...

Dunno what to say, really -- although thank-you all very much for your help! <3

It takes alot of getting used to, when I first joined the server I ended up dying about 8-10 times in a row, from zombies alone.