Server time: 2017-10-21, 15:56
Safe Zone: OPEN

Sign in to follow this  
Spotter

Necro-Poll: First Person Only

Should we implement "first person only"? (select all that apply)  

112 members have voted

1. 1. Should we implement "first person only"? (select all that apply)

• Yes, we should.
    • No, we should not.
    • Let's give it a trial period. (Isn't a difficult setting to change/revert)
    • It should be on RP2 with other mechanics for a different experience on RP2, regardless of the map it is on.

Spotter    0

I know this has been covered a lot of times, but I'd like to see the current consensus. I'd like to see who is open to or even longing for RP1 to be First Person Only. Or perhaps could RP2 be a separate Chernarus hive with more hardcore settings?

Please read the following before deciding.

1. First person provides more confidence in security. Imagine all of the times you didn't catch that last enemy, because he was laying in the grass, standing behind a pine tree, or standing behind a low wall, but you didn't see him, and he got the jump on you, because there was no way for you to detect him, yet he could safely and easily see you.

In my opinion, if you are reaching for the security of being hidden or behind cover, you should have to make some sacrifices. If you're undetectable, it should be harder for you to detect. It would make camping much more difficult.

2. You can lower head bob to an unnoticeable level. Some people complain that they are uncomfortable with first person because of disorientation or dizziness, but when I have mine lowered completely, it's virtually nonexistent.

3. I think the results may vary on this note, but I'd wager that being in third person affects a person's behavior in-game. You become detached from your character. You lose immersion and this makes you behave differently. It allows people to be more reckless. When you can see all of the preposterous positions and animations your character performs in third-person, people will often drop character for silly or trolling actions. It will increase immersion and possibly lower the current amount of derp.

4. This will also make the piloting of helicopters more difficult, decreasing their incredible power and their potential for finding tents, vehicles, and players, and being able to fly safely with minimal skill and practice. This will balance the power of helicopters for such a hardcore game, and will require people with skill, practice, and likely a piloting backstory to be a reliable pilot in-game.

I think a first person only option is worth exploring or considering because of what it can provide for the roleplay of the server. But most importantly, if you can see me, I feel like I should have the ability to see you.

Clintbet    0
It should be on RP2 with other mechanics for a different experience on RP2, regardless of the map it is on.

This.

Raun Paru    0

Me along with others have been pushing for this. First Person Shooter be First Person

please. Thanks. For all the points you mentioned above. People shouldn't be undetectable

exploiting third person view. I absolutely hate that shit.

Spotter    0

Me along with others have been pushing for this. First Person Shooter be First Person

please. Thanks. For all the points you mentioned above. People shouldn't be undetectable

exploiting third person view. I absolutely hate that shit.

I've been teaching my guys the importance of situational awareness and the like, but fuck. Apparently we've been tracked for miles without us seeing, because the person could just hide behind a tree and watch our every move, completely undetected.

EDIT: Please vote as well.

I'm always up for this option, I like the first person, it gave way more immersion.

But it probably never going to happen because it takes the majority of players in favor to change something like that.

As we all already know, 3rd person gives us much more vision and allow us to view our "skin". I know this is completely OOC to use the 3rd person but it is so difficult to fight in 1st person when everyone is using the other option.

Personally, I am in favor but I know it's never going to happen.

We already saw it with all the previous poll, same result each time...

But, i'm still in favor.

EDIT:

A trial period would be a interesting idea, to give everyone a chance to actually try it before complaining.

If you can see me, I feel like I should have the ability to see you.

^ Exactly, i'm tired of being able to see over walls, etc.

I wouldn't really mind first person only, but there are points I don't agree on:

3. Being able to see my skin makes me gain immersion instead of losing it. In third person, I have a sense of where I am and who I am compared to others, basically how others see me. Of course, in real life you can't see your back either, but in real life you don't need to gain any immersion. This is a game and you are roleplaying a character that's in a scenario you will never be in.

Not saying your point 3. isn't a valid point. I just think there's also something to say for third person in regard to roleplay and immersion.

My own reason for wanting to keep third person: although seeing your back is unrealistic, looking in third person makes some things actually more realistic. In real life (damn, I really hate to use that word) there aren't three stances you can be in. You can look with one eye around the corner instead of sticking out your whole head, torso, weapon and ass. You can glance through tiny holes in the wall. Our eyes also have a much wider view distance. Of course you can increase the FOV, but that's not the same at all. Your eyes can do so much more. They can fill in certain parts you don't actually see, just because you've seen them before. They can fill in colors in your peripheral vision.

You have a lot more spacial awereness in real life. Although third person gives you some superhuman abilities, I would argue it is still worse than what we can see in real life.

Spotter    0

I wouldn't really mind first person only, but there are points I don't agree on:

3. Being able to see my skin makes me gain immersion instead of losing it. In third person, I have a sense of where I am and who I am compared to others, basically how others see me. Of course, in real life you can't see your back either, but in real life you don't need to gain any immersion. This is a game and you are roleplaying a character that's in a scenario you will never be in.

Not saying your point 3. isn't a valid point. I just think there's also something to say for third person in regard to roleplay and immersion.

My own reason for wanting to keep third person: although seeing your back is unrealistic, looking in third person makes some things actually more realistic. In real life (damn, I really hate to use that word) there aren't three stances you can be in. You can look with one eye around the corner instead of sticking out your whole head, torso, weapon and ass. You can glance through tiny holes in the wall. Our eyes also have a much wider view distance. Of course you can increase the FOV, but that's not the same at all. Your eyes can do so much more. They can fill in certain parts you don't actually see, just because you've seen them before. They can fill in colors in your peripheral vision.

You have a lot more spacial awereness in real life. Although third person gives you some superhuman abilities, I would argue it is still worse than what we can see in real life.

I would prefer we were all handicapped than super powerful. You can still be clever with seeing, like prone behind a wall, learning, etc.

There's even more options in Arma 3, and hopefully DayZ SA, like the urban prone, and the varying stance heights and speeds.

A trial period would be a interesting idea, to give everyone a chance to actually try it before complaining.

Even just surprising everyone for a day or two with this would get a good consensus with zero harm done. Maybe set a few of the restart periods to first person? So that people won't be like "Shit, I can't play today they're trying this 1st person bull."

Is the game really that unplayable in first person? You may feel jipped because you aren't guaranteed absolute safety when you're cowering behind a tree, but you're also cheating me because it is impossible for me to see you.

I would prefer we were all handicapped than super powerful. You can still be clever with seeing, like prone behind a wall, learning, etc.

There's even more options in Arma 3, and hopefully DayZ SA, like the urban prone, and the varying stance heights and speeds.

My point is that while third person is definitely more powerful than first person, it is still not as powerful as real life. At least that's what I think. You have so much more spacial awereness in real life, something you will never be able to mimick in a video game. Third person tries it.

The new stances in ArmA III/DayZ SA will definitely help. And don't get me wrong, I'm not against first person only. At the very least we should have a trial period. The two reasons I want to keep third person is that I feel more immersed, and that first person is so clunky.

Spotter    0

But a game's mechanics, despite it being a simulator, shouldn't be entirely based on realism. With third person, I feel it is striving for realism, but breaks the gameplay because of it. Like I said. I feel cheated, and I feel that I'm cheating when using third person in this way.

But a game's mechanics, despite it being a simulator, shouldn't be entirely based on realism. With third person, I feel it is striving for realism, but breaks the gameplay because of it. Like I said. I feel cheated, and I feel that I'm cheating when using third person in this way.

I don't agree that it breaks the gameplay, but I can't argue against you feeling you're cheating.

Like I said, by all means go for the trial period. If there would be a "yes or no"-poll, I would vote neither yes nor no. I actually like the head bob (after it's been lowered), and being chased by zombies in the night, running through the woods and looking over your shoulder with a chemlight in your hand while hearing the growls of the zeds has a certain appeal. In that way, I see the "immersion" argument.

Goz    2

I would love to see RP2 as a 'more hardcore' server. That includes both greater emphasis on Roleplay and mechanics to provide more 'survival' feel.

Implementing forced firstperson on RP1 might be too quick, let's start with RP2 as more strict RP playground and forced firstperson. Over time we could transfer best solutions from RP2 to RP1.

Spotter    0

I would love to see RP2 as a 'more hardcore' server. That includes both greater emphasis on Roleplay and mechanics to provide more 'survival' feel.

Implementing forced firstperson on RP1 might be too quick, let's start with RP2 as more strict RP playground and forced firstperson. Over time we could transfer best solutions from RP2 to RP1.

I'm in love with this. Not just a harder game but harder roleplay.

ZZ would dedicate to this server entirely. I'd hope that our friends at CLF would join us. We need to stand out and lead in our roleplay.

EDIT: This would keep the varied types of roleplayers happy. Maybe if you get too many OOC or trolling punishments you get banned from RP2 before RP1? lol xD

Sky    1

Weren't there some technical issues for some using first person? I vaguely remember something like that being mentioned last time this proposal came up.

That aside, I definitely support the idea, and I love the suggestion of RP2 being setup as a more hardcore server.

I would love to see RP2 as a 'more hardcore' server.

I would also like to have a more hardcore server on RP2. I personally think our roleplay in Chernarus RP1 for the moment, is only "light-RP".

But RP2 should be different, would be a interesting way to test the first person and add more hardore-RP related stuff.

I agree with that.

I'd hope that our friends at CLF would join us.

I'm more than sure that we will give it a try.

If RP2 is a more hardcore-RP server, I would probably pass 70%+ of my time there.

And since CLF loves to roleplay hardcore stuff, I don't see any issues !

First person in RP2 is fine by me, but it should still be Panthera (or whatever map gets the most votes). I want something new.

Spotter    0

RP2 could be the difference between:

"I'm engaging you in conflict!"

and

"I'm engaging you in conflict! "

First person in RP2 is fine by me, but it should still be Panthera (or whatever map gets the most votes). I want something new.

There's another poll for that, mate. Let's avoid derailment of this suddenly productive thread. lol

Sky    1

My only concern is the possible effect a more RP oriented server may have on the rules. I'd hate to see a scenario where a certain situation is interpreted one way on RP1, and another way on RP2. That'd be too confusing for both the community and the staff.

There's another poll for that, mate. Let's avoid derailment of this suddenly productive thread. lol

We've already covered a lot, haven't we? And I just want to make sure RP2 doesn't become RP1 with first person. I think that's pretty on-topic.

Another reason first person sucks: melee weapons. :D

Sky, but there wouldn't be any other rules. The idea is that first person increases the RP, but it is and will always be something we'll have to do ourselves. "I'm engaging you in conflict" is an extreme example, but I don't think you can expect people to cry during a robbery because it is a hardcore RP server.

My only concern is the possible effect a more RP oriented server may have on the rules. I'd hate to see a scenario where a certain situation is interpreted one way on RP1, and another way on RP2. That'd be too confusing for both the community and the staff.

I guess we should try to stick with the rules we have on both server.

Pretty sure we can roleplay seriously without having to change the rules?

Maybe a few tweak at the most, if the players who wants to roleplay are doing it in a serious way, if they are mature. There should not be too many problem (My dream).

Spotter    0

I think there just being an option called the more hardcore roleplay server will be enough elimination that the overall roleplay experience on it will be more satisfying than it's lighter-RP counterpart. People will go there looking for it, and will go there to contribute to it.

Jukki    1

Dayz redux has first person only while in car. Was thinking of implementing that.

Spotter    0

Dayz redux has first person only while in car. Was thinking of implementing that.

Well the first person only in helicopters was shot down entirely. I don't see what doing it in cars does.

I drive exclusively in first person. Better control.

EDIT: I'm not concerned about it with cars, exclusively, but with everything. Go big or go home, brah.

Spotter    0

I just voted for Fallujah on the map poll and realized that I would refuse to play on Fallujah if third person was on.

Fucking corner-peaking city. (pun intended)

Jukki    1

Last time we had first person only it was prety much crushed

Id say try it on for a week. Get used to it. People are afraid of new things (part reason why rp 2 is so empty sometimes). Don' bitch and actualy try it for a moment.