Server time: 2017-10-18, 09:20
Safe Zone: OPENING SOON

DayZ maintenance is in progress

Sign in to follow this  
Nova_Ethridge

Tradeoff/benefits for using smaller packs?

I'm aware that my suggestions are generally disliked, but I still like to make them. The current desire for players is to simply find the largest backpack in the game, which is currently the coyote pack.

Now, normally, the tradeoff for larger packs is the increased physical profile (unless you have a ghillie), so a bigger pack is going to make you easier to spot. However, with this server's use of skins that don't display backpacks, maybe there should be a tradeoff of some kind for sacrificing carry capacity.

I was thinking a very slight reduction in speed for having a big clunky backpack. Nothing major, obviously. Maybe wearing a smaller pack also reduces your fatigue rate, or reduces the rate at which physical activity consumes food/water, since both of those can be logically explained by putting less physical stress on the wearer. I want to be clear that I don't think that these penalties should be so much that nobody WANTS to wear a coyote pack, only that someone might say "I really want to travel light today, so I'm going to drop down to a patrol pack, or even a Czech vest pouch".

I would say that, at the most, you'd only be looking at a 10% reduction in running speed, which would only be noticeable if you're timing it with a stopwatch over a long distance, yet at the same time it would provide at least a slight benefit to choosing the smaller packs, as someone that has to run far or move quickly might want as much mobility as humanly possible.

I don't even know if speed modification is possible within the game, but it was just a way I thought of. I mean, nobody even uses the Czech vest pouches since they're smaller than the pack you spawn with. At least if there were some incentive to using the smaller packs, it would be a plus, I think, as (from an RP perspective) someone might want to travel light.

If we implement this it would probably need an exhaustion meter.

Besides this would only be balanced if we increased the bag spawns as well to compensate the down sides of the decrease in speed.

Travelling light makes sense though and I think this would be a worthy addition however the fatigue system would come into it's own here and that I think won't be available until the standalone.

Reacher    2

It's not the player's fault that the skins being made via mods don't display items correctly, based on how the mod creator in question made his character model variation - it's just one of those things.

I also feel that our food and water meters drop ridiculously quick as is, let alone adding other meters and movement restrictions [seriously, the human body can survive for 7 days without food, and 3 without water].

Tomeran    3

I think you're onto something good here.

Im usually all for bringing more survival elements into the game instead of just adding different guns and vehicles. Seriously, we need less meds, food and drinks, people. I for one feel that its currently way too easy to finding these goods, so if we'd ever consider Nathan's suggestion of longer timers for the food'n'drink, I think we should DRASTICLY cut food'n'drink spawn rates, 2017-style.

A 10% speed reduction is not that much and fairly reasonable considering the huge carrying capacity of the bigger backpacks. Perhaps something like this:

Coyote: 10% speed decrease, 20% faster fatigue drain.

Czech: 8% speed decrease, 15% faster fatigue drain.

British: 6% speed decrease, 10% faster fatigue drain.

Alice: 4% speed decrease, 5% faster fatigue drain.

Assualt pack: Normal speed, normal fatigue.

Patrol pack: 5% speed increase, 5% less fatigue.

Vest pouch: 10% speed increase, 10% less fatigue.

As Sumos said, you'd probably need an exhuastion meter of some sort(maybe a similar icon to the food, drink, blood and temperature icons should cut it) and I'd actually be for more severe effects from exhuastion.

For example:

Maybe a small chance to get sick in rainy weather if the exhuastion bar is empty.

More severe accuracy penalties.

Loud breathing that could attract nearby zombies.(not sure if possible)

Things like that. Of course the question becomes how much of this is reasonably possible to implement, or if its worth the effort.

Tomeran    3

And no backpack is like roadrunner with a LMG! zooom. Sorry caffein high

yeah totally, no backpack: 500% speed increase, no fatigue.

Sky    1

I also feel that our food and water meters drop ridiculously quick as is, let alone adding other meters and movement restrictions [seriously, the human body can survive for 7 days without food, and 3 without water].

Absolutely with you there. I'd love to see Thirst/Hunger levels drop a lot slower, and have food drop rate much lower as well. That way, you're getting a lot more realism on both fronts.

Back on topic, backpack idea is fair enough, though sounds like it could require plenty of effort from the dev team to do. There are other things I'd much rather see done before this.

Mavasaur    0

ACE has a encumbrance system that we could look into implementing. It uses cubic inches instead of slots, each item would in turn take a certain amount of space.

Ruffboi    0

Not to mention, the dive roll you do when you run and press V; I can personally say that's quite difficult to pull off IRL. Doing a normal roll with a large backpack on is hard enough as it is, but imagine if you were running from zombies, diverolled over a fence and landed on your backpack, that's filled with food, drinks, maybe another gun. Either you'd break your stuff in the backpack, or you'd simply break your back.

I don't think it's healthy to land on a DMR from a meters drop.

ACE has a encumbrance system that we could look into implementing. It uses cubic inches instead of slots, each item would in turn take a certain amount of space.

This!!

Prospero    0

Anything that brings more realism has my vote, I love the idea of the ACE encumberance system as it should cater for LMGs and no backpack, which should seriously slow you down. Travelling light is a brilliant idea :)

Vasily Malyy    10

What if there's little or nothing in the backpack? Is there still a speed decrease? A backpack with nothing in it is just like carrying a flat pillow around.

Comrade Deg    13

One dayz mod uses R3F logistics or something like that. It implements weight and fatigue at a more dayz friendly level than ace. (I played on a dayz server that had ace on it and you couldn't run more than 200m without passing out or stopping for 15 min)

What if there's little or nothing in the backpack? Is there still a speed decrease? A backpack with nothing in it is just like carrying a flat pillow around.

You're right, but my suggestion is partly based on realism and partly on implementing a sort of balancing system to give the smaller packs more appeal and provide incentive for using them rather than just making the default "Get the biggest backpack all the time!" concept that's currently in place.

As mentioned, even in Vanilla DayZ, smaller packs have an advantage, which is giving you a lower profile and making you harder to spot. On DayZRP, with the use of skins that don't show backpacks, that advantage is completely eliminated for most players.