Server time: 2017-10-23, 11:52
Safe Zone: CLOSED

Sign in to follow this  
Nova_Ethridge

Food, Water, and Vehicles (several suggestions for discussion!)

I'm seeking discussion here, so if all you're here to say is "Just wait for stand alone" or "It won't happen, /thread", please move along. I'm tired of people shooting down my ideas based solely on the premise that "DayZ doesn't work like that", because I truly feel that a lot of my ideas could help roleplay and enjoyment of the server without breaking the game or causing imbalance.

Food Supplies

As everyone knows, we get most of our food on the server by either hunting or scavenging in supermarkets and houses. However, as others have pointed out, supermarket supplies would quickly dry up in a real situation. One could argue that animals would be hunted to local extinction, too, but I think that the number of non-infected humans is small enough that if food consumption was realistic (i.e. a boar could feed a single man for over a week), the animal supply could be sustained. Therefore, here are some suggestions I came up with:

1. Drastically reduce supermarket food/drink spawns. If you're lucky, a supermarket might have one or two cans of food per real-life day, and maybe a can of soda.

2. Reduce the rate at which people need to eat. You should only have to eat once every four real-life hours or so at the most.

3. Allow food to be acquired from farms! While farmlands generally need to be maintained by humans in the long-term, there's no reason why they couldn't continue to grow at a slower rate without a farmer to tend them. This would also create contention over what is usually just seen as a worthless flat field. Also, Taviana has huge farmlands.

Water Consumption

1. Allow filled water bottles to be used more than once. Make them work similarly to flares or chemlights, where a "full" bottle represents something akin to a "magazine" of water. A full canteen of water can last a person over a day if they're not running around constantly.

2. Allow players to drink from a stream or pond while standing in it without possessing a water bottle. If you can fill water bottles from ponds, then the server can clearly identify "player is standing in fresh water". Adding a scroll wheel option to just "drink water" shouldn't be a serious issue I wouldn't think.

Vehicles

Try as I might, I can't come up with a decent way of making vehicles more secure without either A) making them too secure or B) creating other logistics problems. In truth, the only issue I have with vehicle security is that you can lose it while logged out. Losing a vehicle because you walked away or it got stolen is fine, but since players don't "log out" in character, it makes little RP sense. Why was my vehicle unprotected? Was it because I magically vanished from the world for 8 hours? Why wouldn't my character sleep in/near the car to protect it?

This was the only feasible option I came up with.

1. Vehicle Locking

• Add an option to "lock" a vehicle, accessible from the scroll wheel by the last person that drove the vehicle. Locking a vehicle requires a conscious effort, and does not happen automatically.
  • Locked vehicles can only be entered by the last person to drive the vehicle or another member of their clan/squad. This allows for the owner's clanmates to use the car in the event the owner is unavailable. However, as soon as a clanmate enters the vehicle, they become the new owner.
  • Locked vehicles are not secure storage, and their cargo can still be accessed by anyone. The point of the locking system is to prevent theft of vehicles, not to create secure storage.
  • Locked vehicles cannot be damaged. Prevents the "if I can't have it, nobody can" mentality when someone finds a locked vehicle.
  • Locked vehicles automatically unlock after 12 hours if the player is logged out, or after one hour if the player is logged in. The locking system is intended to prevent theft of vehicles while the player is logged out, it does not exist to allow players to pointlessly lock up vehicles while they run off doing other things.
  • A given player can only lock one vehicle at a time. Locking another vehicle automatically unlocks the last one they locked. This prevents players from securing multiple vehicles, and ensures that locked vehicles exist on a one-vehicle-per-player basis.
  • Locked vehicles become unlocked if the owner dies. This means that a player stopped at a roadblock cannot lock a vehicle out of spite to prevent bandits from stealing it. Locking it and then immediately logging out would, of course, constitute combat logging.

Guest Cadan   
Guest Cadan

+1 except the farmland.

Alibaba    0

I totally agree with you on the Water consumption part.

Lock picks should be added as soon as vehicles get locks. Maybe padlocks could be added to the game, you will need this and a chain to lock your vehicle. I think there also should be an animation for locking.

1. Drastically reduce supermarket food/drink spawns. If you're lucky, a supermarket might have one or two cans of food per real-life day, and maybe a can of soda.

I think this is a bit to much. There should be at least 2 cans of food and 2 cans of soda in the supermarket after every restart. You can however reduce the number of restarts.

Not bad ideas... However.. Locks can be picked and therefore there should be lock picks.

The purpose of the vehicle locking system isn't to simulate real locks, it's to provide a very limited security against logging off, because if we want to bring realism into it, my character would sleep in her car, in the TP, and if anyone tried to steal it, she could defend the car.

It's meant to help patch a flaw in the logic of online gaming (that people need to log off to do real life things), not meant to simulate something from RL itself.

Rel    0

Have you ever been camping or have have outdoors experience?

2. Allow players to drink from a stream or pond while standing in it without possessing a water bottle. If you can fill water bottles from ponds, then the server can clearly identify "player is standing in fresh water". Adding a scroll wheel option to just "drink water" shouldn't be a serious issue I wouldn't think.

That is something you definitely should not do if you need to drink. You do not just drink out of a stagnant pond. It is extremely unhealthy. You need to get a container and boil the water (exactly how it works now).

There also aren't any streams in Chernarus.

2. Reduce the rate at which people need to eat. You should only have to eat once every four real-life hours or so at the most.

Food and Thirst are based on how much movement you partake in whenever you're playing. You'll get much hungrier and thirstier if you are constantly running, compared to just walking around and sitting still. This is pretty realistic as it is. It may seem like four hours is a lot on the server, but if you're constantly running around the whole map for four hours, it isn't.

1. Allow filled water bottles to be used more than once. Make them work similarly to flares or chemlights, where a "full" bottle represents something akin to a "magazine" of water. A full canteen of water can last a person over a day if they're not running around constantly.

Physical exercise and movement demands a lot of water. If you're constantly running around all day in the hot sun, carrying all of the supplies you own, you will get thirsty quick. You do not just simply sip at a canteen and become completely quenched after running around for hours with a backpack, weapon, and in the heat. These in-game canteens are akin to normal water bottles, they do not hold that much water.

Try as I might, I can't come up with a decent way of making vehicles more secure without either A) making them too secure or B) creating other logistics problems. In truth, the only issue I have with vehicle security is that you can lose it while logged out. Losing a vehicle because you walked away or it got stolen is fine, but since players don't "log out" in character, it makes little RP sense. Why was my vehicle unprotected? Was it because I magically vanished from the world for 8 hours? Why wouldn't my character sleep in/near the car to protect it?

This is gamebreaking.

If you really wanted to rp this, they could easily just either pick the lock / break the window, and hotwire the car. It isn't hard to do, especially in these older cars.

We should just make all of the vehicles on the map unusable, I mean, how would you get the key to unlock/run all of those server spawned cars?

While it is nice to try to think of more RP elements, this is still a game. We have to find a balance between realism, rp, and having fun in a game. You have to realize this. We cannot just alienate the whole community just because you aren't happy about a few minor things.

Have you ever been camping or have have outdoors experience?

That is something you definitely should not do if you need to drink. You do not just drink out of a stagnant pond. It is extremely unhealthy. You need to get a container and boil the water (exactly how it works now).

Survival experts will always, always tell you that if you're near death from dehydration, it's always better to drink the water.

Yes, waterborne pathogens might kill you, but dehydration is 100% fatal.

Waterborne pathogens generally take several days to affect a person, so especially if you're in a situation where you won't last another day without water, you're better off drinking water and risking it, especially if there's a chance you can reach civilization or medical care within a few days.

After all, if you're three days from a hospital, but only one day from dying of dehydration, what option do you really have?

Edit: Wanted to add that I literally had this exact situation happen when I went looking for Melissa in the middle of the night. I got lost up near the lakes east of the TP, was dying of thirst and below half blood. I knew drinking the water could make me sick, but also knew that if I didn't drink it, I'd be dead before I made it back to the post, so I took the risk. Even if I'd gotten sick, the Free Medics at the post could have treated the illness.

Rel    0

^ Updated my post, sorry about that

If you were three days from a hospital, and contracted a disease from drinking it, I don't think you could even make it. I mean, animal and human feces, dirt, insects and bacteria in and around stagnant water will render you so sick and weak, you would not be able to walk, which will result in death.

Its a good thing Chernarus doesn't take place in Idaho, or it would be more realistic to make it that if you go to a stagnant pond, you have a chance to get so sick from Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, that you wouldn't be able to move and you'd die. Sounds like a lot of fun.

When you get sick from bacteria, you do not just get a cough and lose blood. You would most likely have extremely trouble moving large distances, have painful headaches, have difficulty talking, get extremely dehydrated and shit your pants to death, all within a few hours to days.

If you really wanted to rp this, they could easily just either pick the lock / break the window, and hotwire the car. It isn't hard to do, especially in these older cars.

And if I'm sleeping in the back seat with a .45 in my hand?

The point is that the system keeps cars from being stolen while you are logged out, because if we're going to talk about RP realism, you don't "log out" of real life because your "other real life" needs you for something.

I'm suggesting a way to secure vehicles temporarily while logged off, not a way to just hog them all.

Skippy    4

If you add locking cars, you must also then add lockpicks.

Lockpicks would come in stacks of three, and have a 15% chance to unlock a car, ideally.

Rel    0

Do you really think you can reach under your head and shoot a gun inside of a car quicker than a robber (who already most likely has a gun out) can shoot you? Realistically, if I was a bandit, I'd just shoot you in your sleep, take your stuff, and drive off in the car.

There is a fine line between realism and having fun in a game. It is our job to implement new and useful ideas without breaking the game aspect of dayz. If I seem aggressive, its because I do not want to break that and alienate the whole community, and because I care greatly about the mod.

Sin    127

The point is that the system keeps cars from being stolen while you are logged out, because if we're going to talk about RP realism, you don't "log out" of real life because your "other real life" needs you for something.

I'm suggesting a way to secure vehicles temporarily while logged off, not a way to just hog them all.

Just checked the front page. There were 141 unique players in the past 24 hours.

Under current conditions, we can have 40 players at a time, and 50 vehicles - that's more than one vehicle per player.

If you had your way, it would effectively reduce the number of vehicles per player by ~60%.

Its a good thing Chernarus doesn't take place in Idaho, or it would be more realistic to make it that if you go to a stagnant pond, you have a chance to get so sick from Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, that you wouldn't be able to move. Sounds like a lot of fun.

Rel, damnit...stop making this so easy.

First, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever almost always comes from tick bites, and your odds of contracting it from drinking water are pretty low.

Two, it has at least a one week incubation period before symptoms even start to show up.

Yes, a bacterial infection will eventually weaken you, but as I already pointed out, waterborne infections take several days before you even START to show symptoms, so what you're saying is that given these two choices:

A) Possible death in a week from explosive diarrhea assuming you don't reach a hospital.

or

B) Guaranteed death tomorrow from dehydration.

You would pick B?

Rel    0

Rel, damnit...stop making this so easy.

First, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever almost always comes from tick bites, and your odds of contracting it from drinking water are pretty low.

Two, it has at least a one week incubation period before symptoms even start to show up.

Yes, a bacterial infection will eventually weaken you, but as I already pointed out, waterborne infections take several days before you even START to show symptoms, so what you're saying is that given these two choices:

A) Possible death in a week from explosive diarrhea assuming you don't reach a hospital.

or

B) Guaranteed death tomorrow from dehydration.

You would pick B?

Quoted out of context and not reading everything I said, typical.

If you actually wanted to be taken seriously, then don't act in this sort of manner. RMSP doesn't even exist in Russia, its only in North/South America. It is indeed caused by insects around stagnant water, I clearly said that.

I don't think you could even make it. I mean, animal and human feces, dirt, insects and bacteria in and around stagnant water will render you so sick and weak, you would not be able to walk, which will result in death.

Anyway, since you don't bother reading my posts, I'll say this again

There is a fine line between realism and having fun in a game. It is our job to implement new and useful ideas without breaking the game aspect of dayz. If I seem aggressive, its because I do not want to break that and alienate the whole community, and because I care greatly about the mod.

And to answer your question, I would boil the water and then drink it (exactly how it is already implemented in the game).

Spotter    0

Locking a vehicle simply cannot be done without a game breaking mechanic. Making the car indestructible is silly. There are only 40-50 vehicles on the server. There is a max population of 50 people at one time, and even more than that (more than 100) play every day.

Unless the car was a fresh spawn, more than half the vehicles on the map would be rendered useless if locked, not just hidden. Clans would be able to hoard and keep massive amounts of this undrivable and indestructible machines if just once every 12 hours (very easy for international clans) they have someone hop in each car, turn it on, and turn if off in their respective clan parking lot. Theoretically, this system could allow even one person to permanently and safely own every vehicle on the server, so long as he just keeps hopping in them.

The vehicles are designed to stay in circulation, not invincible and unusable, reserved for a player to return within half a day. This is why I'll destroy all vehicles that I find hoarded in the woods. They're being kept out of circulation, and selfishly sapping the fun of the rest of the members of the community. This is also why I'd like the vehicle respawn timer to be 3 days, and not 7. Any vehicle that is left unattended at the base of a pine tree clearly isn't being used or earned by its hoarding owner after three days. It'll be in much better hands somewhere else.

Rel, seeing as water can be drank when not boiled in the current water bottle system, there's no reason you can't drink straight from the pond, unless these are Brita filter bottles. You will be vulnerable to infection if you drink unboiled water, no matter if you drink it straight from the surface, or fill it into a water bottle then drinking it. Almost every time I'm at a pond with empty water bottles I will fill it, immediately drink from it to top up my hydration, then fill it again. The drinking from the pond option is viable. I vote yes.

In terms of the rarity of food, I think that ammunition, food, drink, and fuel should all be -drastically increased in rarity.

No, you won't be winning any arguments today by pretending I quoted you out of context. I was pointing out a false example, and I followed it up with an example relevant to Russia.

You should be ashamed that you used RMSF as an example. Why? Because it's not even remotely relevant to the argument, which is that dirty water can keep you going for 2-3 days. Why would you even use it as an example? It's entirely irrelevant to this discussion.

And yes, the feces, dirt, urine, etc would be the source of the pathogens in dirty water, and as I already pointed out, those pathogens have, at the least, an incubation period of several days.

And to answer your question, I would boil the water and then drink it (exactly how it is already implemented in the game).

So you're going to solve the problem by ignoring it entirely? Huh, and to think you accused me of not reading posts.

The entire topic here, since you missed it apparently, is dying of thirst while standing in a pond. You don't NEED a bottle to drink from a pond. Is it a good idea to drink unboiled standing water? No, but we were obviously discussing a situation of extreme desperation.

If that's your argument, then just use that. Throwing out a bunch of pesudo-real life arguments that aren't even accurate (such as implying that drinking contaminated water will almost instantly incapacitate you) is silly.

Regardless, allowing players the OPTION to drink from a pond without a bottle hardly deserves the sheer level of ridicule you've decided to, for whatever reason, throw at me.

Rel    0

No, you won't be winning any arguments today by pretending I quoted you out of context. I was pointing out a false example, and I followed it up with an example relevant to Russia.

You should be ashamed that you used RMSF as an example. Why? Because it's not even remotely relevant to the argument, which is that dirty water can keep you going for 2-3 days. Why would you even use it as an example? It's entirely irrelevant to this discussion.

So you're going to solve the problem by ignoring it entirely? Huh, and to think you accused me of not reading posts.

The entire topic here, since you missed it apparently, is dying of thirst while standing in a pond. You don't NEED a bottle to drink from a pond. Is it a good idea to drink unboiled standing water? No, but we were obviously discussing a situation of extreme desperation.

If that's your argument, then just use that. Throwing out a bunch of pesudo-real life arguments that aren't even accurate (such as implying that drinking contaminated water will almost instantly incapacitate you) is silly.

Regardless, allowing players the OPTION to drink from a pond without a bottle hardly deserves the sheer level of ridicule you've decided to, for whatever reason, throw at me.

Honestly, this isn't an argument, this is a discussion. Truthfully? I really couldn't even bother to care about you or "trying to beat you in an argument". I have many other more important things that require my time. If that is really what all of my posts meant to you, I really suggest reconsidering what you have read.

And yes, it would be easy to implement and I may consider adding it, I was thinking about it a few weeks back, I just don't care for the idea.

Honestly, this isn't an argument, this is a discussion. Truthfully? I really couldn't even bother to care about you or "trying to beat you in an argument". I have many other more important things that require my time. If that is really what all of my posts meant to you, I really suggest reconsidering what you think.

And yes, it would be easy to implement and I may consider adding it, I was thinking about it a few weeks back.

I don't WANT to "win an argument" with you, I also thought it was a discussion, but your vehement tone towards me felt like an attack, and if I misinterpreted that, I'm sorry.

I've been learning survivalism all of my life (a good part of my character's background is my own), so to have someone make a statement that flies in the face of what I already know, and then brush me off when I try to educate them, is a bit flustering. I've had survival training, so I know when you should avoid bad water and when you might face those few rare circumstances where it's worth the calculated risk.

Again, I meant no ill-will and apologize for being so defensive.

Spotter    0

And yes, the feces, dirt, urine, etc would be the source of the pathogens in dirty water, and as I already pointed out, those pathogens have, at the least, an incubation period of several days.

Rel, think about what you're arguing.

The car keys are game breaking. And you said that we shouldn't use realism as the mindset to approach it with, we should consider how it affects the game.

When the drinking from the pond option is suggested, you said no. It isn't game breaking, but you say it's far too unrealistic because you'd die that day. Whether you would die or not, the current game does not define it as such. You drink dirty pond water out of a water bottle with very rare and hardly noticeable consequences, but giving a player a minor convenience that makes absolute sense, like drinking that same water straight from the source, is a preposterous idea because it's not realistic, and even that is being argued.

If you feel so strongly about your side of the argument, greatly increase the effects of infection (like shaking, faster blood loss, etc.) and increase the likelihood of being infected monumentally if drinking from unboiled pond water. But if you don't want to make it that realistic, then don't flip out when we can refine the currently unrealistic standard to something that makes sense based on that standard, which may or may not be realistic.

Rel, I love you, but you pick some of the strangest fights.

Blizzard    0

I like most of these ideas, lock picks dont really make much sense as you would not know how to pick a lock with training of somesort.

and if you add lock picks we would need a lock pick system of somesort, IE you have to pick each pin to unlock and if you fail you pick breaks.

oh btw there is a gamemode that has all of this in it but the creators of said mod dont like to share,( I already asked them only to get a rude messege back)

Tomeran    3

[/Quote]

Im for this. Hell I've been suggesting a lot less food and drinks for a long time now, I think its ridicilously easy to find as it is.

I'd also suggest this applies to all civilian spawns, not just supermarkets. Less of this stuff in general. And while we're at it, same should apply to meds, antibiotics in particular.

[/Quote]

Seeing how much the average dayz player moves about, 4 hours might be a bit much. 3 or 2 hours however, sounds more reasonable imo.

3. Allow food to be acquired from farms! While farmlands generally need to be maintained by humans in the long-term, there's no reason why they couldn't continue to grow at a slower rate without a farmer to tend them. This would also create contention over what is usually just seen as a worthless flat field. Also, Taviana has huge farmlands.

[/Quote]

I like the idea, but how would you suggest food would be gathered? From the pumpkin fields that are about or just wandering and gathering wheat from the fields? If so, it would be quite the process to bring that wheat into something eatable(I think). The pumpkin fields however would be reasonable.

Water Consumption

[/Quote]

Good point actually, although this might make it a bit easy to quench your thirst. And hey, the survivors do run around a lot. Only times I ever see people actually walk in this game is at the TP or at the exodus event.

Im generally against most things that makes survival easier for players, frankly I think they should have to become Bear Grylls to manage. :D

[/Quote]

This makes sense, but again might make it easier. Although not by much, since water bottles arent rare, I suppose. So thumbs up.

And now, regarding vehicles.

1. Vehicle Locking

• Add an option to "lock" a vehicle, accessible from the scroll wheel by the last person that drove the vehicle. Locking a vehicle requires a conscious effort, and does not happen automatically.
  • Locked vehicles can only be entered by the last person to drive the vehicle or another member of their clan/squad. This allows for the owner's clanmates to use the car in the event the owner is unavailable. However, as soon as a clanmate enters the vehicle, they become the new owner.
  • Locked vehicles are not secure storage, and their cargo can still be accessed by anyone. The point of the locking system is to prevent theft of vehicles, not to create secure storage.
  • Locked vehicles cannot be damaged. Prevents the "if I can't have it, nobody can" mentality when someone finds a locked vehicle.
  • Locked vehicles automatically unlock after 12 hours if the player is logged out, or after one hour if the player is logged in. The locking system is intended to prevent theft of vehicles while the player is logged out, it does not exist to allow players to pointlessly lock up vehicles while they run off doing other things.
  • A given player can only lock one vehicle at a time. Locking another vehicle automatically unlocks the last one they locked. This prevents players from securing multiple vehicles, and ensures that locked vehicles exist on a one-vehicle-per-player basis.
  • Locked vehicles become unlocked if the owner dies. This means that a player stopped at a roadblock cannot lock a vehicle out of spite to prevent bandits from stealing it. Locking it and then immediately logging out would, of course, constitute combat logging.

Although I generally liked your food and drinks suggestions, I am not so convinced of this locking system. I fear this system, although nice in theory, would be too complicated, and could open up to abuse(especielly the locked cars are indestructable part, even though I see the need). For example, certain paths can be completly blocked off by a bus. By locking that bus you make it indestructable and noone can get past.

Not to mention the fact that I think it would be very difficult to implement without a ton of glitches.

Ruffboi    0

To be honest, if every aspect of DayZ had to be considerably close to real-life mechanics, nobody would play the game. It'd be way too complicated, difficult and probably boring in the last end.

To join in on the "argument" that's been going on:

Drinking water from ponds etc; no. I made this fatal mistake once before IRL, and it took about 5 hours for me to empty EVERY kind of body fluid, food, drink, etc out on the forestbed, and I also caught a fever.

The vehicle part.. no. Ideally, I don't like the idea of a person having a vehicle for so long. Generally, I'm not fond of the way vehicles work in DayZ. A vehicle should be an extremely rare find, considering every rational human-being got the fuck outta the country, when people started biting each other's faces off.

If anything should change in relation to the vehicle system, I'd say cut 90% of ALL the vehicles from the server. You suddenly wouldn't just blow a car up that easily. And spawn in more bicycles.. those should be massively more common than cars (which they are not, as of now), since I doubt Family Jefferson jumped on their tandem bike when everybody else chose their SUVs and stationcars to flee from the infection.

I agree to the food part. To be honest, I think it'd be a lot more logical if you found a can of beans in somebody's house, rather than in the supermarket, whereas EVERYBODY would look in the beginning of the infection. Honestly, I think every supermarket around would have been emptied in a matter of hours on the first day.