Server time: 2017-10-19, 22:02
Safe Zone: OPEN

Sign in to follow this  
Blizzard

why the dislike of taviana

Blizzard    0

well I want to know why people seem to hate taviana, and dont use death from bugs or lack of pvp as a reason. theres plenty of pvp in plenty of other gamemodes that arnt dayz, also ive lived for 5 days total without a death from a "bug" going in and out of all the building I find.

Yes the wilderness is lacking things but all it would take is a few copy and pastes in the editor to bring over those camps from chernarus.

people seem to have decided pretty fast that they didnt like it (its only been up for about 6-7 days)

If it was up for even one month I guarantee more people would play.

If you have a reason feel free to post it, id like to get alot of people to comment on this

I agree. The dislike of Taviana all of a sudden when previously there seemed to be almost overwhelming support for it is evident of a knee-jerk reaction, but I'm not sure where it's coming from.

People seem to dislike a big map. I'm not sure why. Yeah, Taviana is larger than Chernarus, but a lot more of Taviana is occupied by water. They both have almost the same amount of actual land mass. Taviana also has much better cities.

I LIKE the big, deserted urban environments, it gives a much more realistic "collapsed society" feel to it.

The big problem is that with the lack of a TP, everyone is avoiding everyone else because nobody knows who they can trust or when they'll be robbed. There are opponents to having a "safe" TP, but I suspect that most of those people are the type that don't like the idea that someone is logged in that they can't rob.

I think that once a TP is put in place that supports people congregating in one spot to RP and trade, the server will see an increase in population.

BobitoZ    0

I think it just comes down to people being invested in Chernarus and RP1. Any map would of gotten the same reaction to some extent.

I still think the solution is to have a map rotation on RP2. People will stop worrying about collecting/maintaining there gear horde and just have fun.

Blizzard    0

yea if people cant have a gear hoard you know they wont want to play on it, at least the clans wont. they will just stay on rp1.

BobitoZ    0

yea if people cant have a gear hoard you know they wont want to play on it, at least the clans wont. they will just stay on rp1.

I suppose that's true. FM as a clan maintains a gear hoard but we want people to take it. So we as a clan never really become attached to things not on our person.

It's just a different way of playing. Once people get the idea that you only really have what is on you then people will just start having fun with it.

Guest Wookiebookie   
Guest Wookiebookie

Chernarus is a big map.

Taviana is a big map.

Big maps require lot of playtime to gear up.

And the majority of people on the server are clanmembers and are already set up in Chernarus.

Blizzard    0

yea the only clan ive seen on tavi is you guys, well other then clf but they tempted fate by going underground. they rest of the clans would rather keep all there already stocked up gear and use it for clan wars basicly.

I for one would love to see clan not using millitary loot to fight each other, only civilian related weapons it would be amusing to watch and be apart of.

@wookie and yea thats most of the fun of dayz, every one starts at zero and it takes forever to get gear. Im solo most of the time and ive got too much gear with no one to really trade with

Guest Nykke   
Guest Nykke

I love taviana only reason i aint playing there is the low number of players on RP2 :/

Blizzard    0

i get on daily and im friendly, id play with anyone i come acrossed.

I for one just don't like the layout. You have a couple islands attached by ONE roadway. You can do the boat thing, but I don't like boats all that much.

I played Fallujah on a server last night and that map looks a lot more interesting. C-130's, Ospreys, large open desert warfare (different than almost every other map), with a ton of urban mixed in.

Not only that, but I've been there with the 24th MEU in real life. I'd definitely be interested in getting my unit there if you guys switched to that map. There's a base in the North part of the map we could use as a NATO jump off point.

Reacher    2

... there's a dislike for Taviana? Since when? Whenever I've been on there, there's been over a dozen playing.

EDIT: Ah. There it is.

Tomeran    3

Well, you sort of already mentioned two of the big reasons why people stated they didnt like Taviana: Bugs and lack of interaction/a feel of emptiness.

I dont see why those shouldnt qualify as arguments against Taviana, because lets be brutally honest here, it probably is the buggiest dayZ map out there(although I say that not having tested a few maps).

And my guess is the "emptiness" argument is simply the result of the map's size and the fact that except for the very few days the map's rarely had over 15-20 players. Now it seems to average between 2-6 at peak hours.

For such a big map as Taviana, that is not feasible. And it spirals down, once some people have doubts and stop playing the server gradually gets empty, and then more people feel the server's getting empty and thus leaving, causing even more people to feel that its empty and thus leave etc etc.

I dont think that has to do with "clan stockpiles" or being well established on Chernarus and rp1. For some clans, maybe, but I very much doubt its the case for even a majority of bigger clans.

T.O.R's been trying to stick around a bit on Taviana now, but I admit I've sort of lost the taste when there seems to be in average 1-2 people online when I got the opportunity to play Taviana (which is usually peak hours).

We were planning to dedicate ourselves to the FM camp and I was even planning on holding some sort of RP immigration event to Taviana, but im holding that on pause until I know if the community support for the map will return or not.

The support for the map collapsed in such a record speed that it made me wonder what the hell's going on. And what's even more curious, there seems to be roughly 20 people on the polls that really want Taviana to stay, yet there's definetly not 20, or even ten, or hell even 5 people, ever playing on Taviana at the same time. Something's wrong with that equation.

Wether this is ultimatly the fault of Taviana or if it just happens to be the fact that its a different map then Chernarus remains to be seen, because judging by the rp 2 map poll, we'll be trying Panthera pretty soon.

I'm still pretty convinced that it's the lack of a centralized gathering point, namely a TP, that's causing the lack of interest.

I'm on the server from time to time, but I've collected a fair bit of gear and have things to trade but nobody to trade with.

Tomeran    3

I'm still pretty convinced that it's the lack of a centralized gathering point, namely a TP, that's causing the lack of interest.

I'm on the server from time to time, but I've collected a fair bit of gear and have things to trade but nobody to trade with.

It hit me that might've been a cause as well. Or well, maybe not a cause of why the support collapsed the way it did, but perhaps it is at least a contributing factor.

The Trade Post has been around for so long now on Chernarus that people have gotten used to it and come to expect it. Maybe a Taviana TP will help make a difference and boost activity numbers there.

As for a place to trade, I've actually been pushing to make the Free Medic camp an improvised gathering point for trade and roleplay until an official TP is established.

Of course there's obvious risks to that, but there's precious few bandits playing anyway

In the end I reckon that's up to the FM clan themselves, since its their establishment. If they still play on Taviana that is, I have no idea.

I'd be more than welcome to come back to Taviana if there were some concentrated effort to RP at all. I met Raun once, but that was about it, really...he and Blizzard, once.

Where is this improvised camp you mentioned?

Spotter    0

The lack of concentrated RP is an entirely different problem by its self. Having a TP may make the few roleplayers more noticeable, giving them a place to congregate, but it also draws in trolls and loudmouths who also ruin the roleplaying experience in my opinion.

This is why I really don't like the TP. And though its absence may contribute very slightly to Taviana's unpopularity, I think the cause is mostly glitches, the separation of the community (some go back to Chernarus to play with those who didn't leave). Taviana is a bit hotter in general, and Chernarus is easier for less bandit-oriented groups to navigate safely with its empty forests and varying traffic zones.

Tomeran    3

I'd be more than welcome to come back to Taviana if there were some concentrated effort to RP at all. I met Raun once, but that was about it, really...he and Blizzard, once.

Where is this improvised camp you mentioned?

Lake Myelkij, a small lake near the Taviana village of Gorka(yeah, there's a Gorka in Taviana s well).

I think the FM was considering moving the camp to castle Brdo though, just south of Myelkij.

I havent been online in a day or so on Taviana so im not sure if they've done the move yet.

Just about the only RP I've done so far on Taviana happened at that camp.

Taviana sucks ass, the cities are way too large, the majority of buildings you cant go in. You spawn in the middle of BF nowhere, it would be diffrent if you were even close to a town. The one LONG bridge is camped from both ends so once you get on, if you get on with your shit, your bound to get robbed on the other end. The map doesnt seem to be user friendly. In other words it's just shitty

Skippy    4

It's not a problem of towns being large- it's a problem of towns being -empty-.

The lack of concentrated RP is an entirely different problem by its self. Having a TP may make the few roleplayers more noticeable, giving them a place to congregate, but it also draws in trolls and loudmouths who also ruin the roleplaying experience in my opinion.

This is why I really don't like the TP. And though its absence may contribute very slightly to Taviana's unpopularity, I think the cause is mostly glitches, the separation of the community (some go back to Chernarus to play with those who didn't leave). Taviana is a bit hotter in general, and Chernarus is easier for less bandit-oriented groups to navigate safely with its empty forests and varying traffic zones.

With the exception of that one bridge between islands, Taviana has multiple ways to get to places. There are main highways, and then there are back roads and alternative routes. Plus, Taviana is spread out enough that it takes more than just two or three roadblocks to bind the whole map up. Each island has at least 2-3 major cities and at least a dozen locations across the map for military loot.

Reacher    2

Perhaps increased boat spawns? I'd love to drive around in a boat with my buddies, exploring the coastlines.

Pavel    0

Taviana sucks ass, the cities are way too large, the majority of buildings you cant go in. You spawn in the middle of BF nowhere, it would be diffrent if you were even close to a town. The one LONG bridge is camped from both ends so once you get on, if you get on with your shit, your bound to get robbed on the other end. The map doesnt seem to be user friendly. In other words it's just shitty

^ what he said.

the map feels and looks unfinished to me. spawning out in the sticks, often with a 10min uphill walk to the nearest high vantage point to the nearest town with plenty of tower blocks but hardly any enterable structures. the ones that are enterable are vast and sprawling with awful textures and a thimbleful of loot in the far corners.