Server time: 2017-08-20, 04:21

Sign in to follow this  
Mavasaur

My thoughts on RP2 (Taviana)

Mavasaur    0

When I heard the news that RP2 was coming back, and with that would be a new map, Taviana, I was very excited! Me, being a mainly Chernarus DayZ player, I couldn't wait to explore a new map. I was unfortunately let down..

Taviana Map: Taviana is great, if you want to do Arma military operations, force on force, etc. However, Taviana for DayZ is a lose lose, in my opinion. Why? For one, the map isn't optimized to a DayZ standard, it looks perfect in every way, it by no means looks like a apocalypse has happened there, in fact, it looks like my mother went and cleaned it prior to its release. It lacks holes in fences, requiring a lot of time to find a way out. It also lacks the clutter in the roads that we all have a love hate relationship with.

With that said, the map lay out is sub par, 2 adjacent islands, connected by a single bridge. It's horrible. If you attempt to cross the bridge with more 30+ people on, do not be attached to your gear, as it is a sure spot for roadblocks. Sure, you can cross by boat, or swim, but ain't nobody got time for that. Boats are scarce, and swimming can potentially put a stop to your day. It's too large, and doesn't support player interaction, nor role play.

I personally give the map, with a DayZ mission type a 5/10, and that's generous.

I personally would love to see a smaller map on RP2, that supports player interaction for our server. As it would in turn support Role play that we all know and love.

Rolle    2450

Yeah, it feels kind of bad that the server is empty almost all the time, especially after spending 800+€ of donations on hardware and upgrading the connection very soon.

Tavana isn't that bad, what it needs is players. With too few players Taviana feels very empty, and nobody wants to play on an empty server.

I propose switching Taviana to a smaller map like Namalsk or Panthera, at least until we get more players on the servers. Seems like everyone got bored of DayZ recently, this along with connection maintenance, hardware installation downtimes resulted in loss of quite a few players.

RP2 could also be set on a map rotation like Taviana - Namalsk - Panthera - Fallujah, changing the map every other week. The downside is that character data could be saved, but vehicles and tents would be wiped. I'll be very busy the coming 2-3 weeks so I won't have time to work on the servers much, but the idea can be discussed.

Yeah, it feels kind of bad that the server is empty almost all the time, especially after spending 800+€ of donations on hardware and upgrading the connection very soon.

Tavana isn't that bad, what it needs is players. With too few players Taviana feels very empty, and nobody wants to play on an empty server.

I propose switching Taviana to a smaller map like Namalsk or Panthera, at least until we get more players on the servers. Seems like everyone got bored of DayZ recently, this along with connection maintenance, hardware installation downtimes resulted in loss of quite a few players.

RP2 could also be set on a map rotation like Taviana - Namalsk - Panthera - Fallujah, changing the map every other week. The downside is that character data could be saved, but vehicles and tents would be wiped. I'll be very busy the coming 2-3 weeks so I won't have time to work on the servers much, but the idea can be discussed.

You could always 'break' RP1. That would get players on Taviana.

A map rotation would be an excellent idea so that people can get an experience of all of them. You can then leave the decision up to people later on in which they prefer.

The main reason for me to not play on RP2 is the fact that no one is there. But this is of course a slope. The more people think the same as me, the more people will stop playing on RP2, etc.

The first thing I would suggest is making a public poll, see which map the community wants the most. The polls now only featured Taviana and Namalsk, but there should be one big poll with Taviana, Namalsk, Panthera, Lingor, Fallujah and Takistan (the maps of which Rolle said were possible).

Although forcing people to play on RP2 (for a while) might help, I don't think it's a good idea. Maybe the TP for RP2 should be designed first before it is launched. I'm against a TP personally, but it IS a place for players to connect, to group together. And after missing it in Taviana I can see how valuable it actually is.

RP2 needs to "take off" in some way. I'd suggest making the poll to decide which map the community wants, then design the TP and only then launch RP2.

My vote goes for Lingor by the way.

Osaka    15

Taviana has it's downside. Too much military loot, too clean, and too large.

Namalsk would be a nice substitute. one hospital people are going to battle over, almost no food drops, and the freezing cold which makes heatpacks as valuable as military grade loot.

We could try Namalsk for a week or so, and if it happens to be better, we keep it, otherwise just change it again to another map.

I'm not a fan because I don't like the map layout. The MEU is trying to get itself established on one map right now. We don't want to be spreading ourselves over two.

How about something totally different, like Fallujah? My fps would be crap, but I've actually been there in real life... and not having played it, I wouldn't mind testing it out.

I have only played Taviana once so here are some thoughts.

- set both maps up on alternate rotation, for example if its dark on cherno then make it daylight on RP2. That way the night time lovers as well as the day light people can play in their element.

- Taviana, as Mav said is hard the one bridge is just camped by all players

- People know the cherno map, so for the the time being, say a 2 week period have people start the game with a map. They know where they are, they can go where they want, hook up with friends ect. As it stands now, most of the time you spawn on the side of some giant ass hill in the middle of nowhere.

Tomeran    3

The main reason for me to not play on RP2 is the fact that no one is there. But this is of course a slope. The more people think the same as me, the more people will stop playing on RP2, etc.

The first thing I would suggest is making a public poll, see which map the community wants the most. The polls now only featured Taviana and Namalsk, but there should be one big poll with Taviana, Namalsk, Panthera, Lingor, Fallujah and Takistan (the maps of which Rolle said were possible).

Although forcing people to play on RP2 (for a while) might help, I don't think it's a good idea. Maybe the TP for RP2 should be designed first before it is launched. I'm against a TP personally, but it IS a place for players to connect, to group together. And after missing it in Taviana I can see how valuable it actually is.

RP2 needs to "take off" in some way. I'd suggest making the poll to decide which map the community wants, then design the TP and only then launch RP2.

My vote goes for Lingor by the way.

I made a big "Namalsk vs Taviana" poll and roughly 50% supported Namalsk.(Taviana got 35%)

I also left a third option where people could throw in another map if they wished, as long as they explained which one. Very few people seemed to want a third option beyond Taviana and Namalsk.

See poll here: http://www.dayzrp.com/t-yet-another-namalsk-instead-of-taviana-poll

As can be seen by that poll, I support Namalsk, and a large part of the community seems to do so too.

I previously argued that the map size is one of Namalsk's possible downsides, but after Taviana im not sure I agree anymore. People complained about an "empty" and uneventful map, full of bugs. Namalsk is smaller and probably the most "eventful" map of any dayzrp maps, due to its custom creatures and interesting buildings.

Its also not as buggy as Taviana. True, you dont want to try and hop your way into the alien object(you'll get stuck), but that's about the only bug I've encountered in terms of terrain, on Taviana.

It has so many nice features going for it that it more then makes up for any military loot tables or possible gloomness issues. And people seemed to generally agree.

In regards to Rolle's map rotation idea:

Im not sure a map rotation is a good idea, especielly if it wipes the database each time. People need a chance to settle down on a map and if it changes often people just wont bother.

So yeah, if you spent that much money on the server hardware we should definetly have an RP2. But it would have to be a unique map that's appealing to a lot of people, because, as you say Rolle, Taviana lost its appeal frightfully fast. Which was a damned shame, I tried to give it a proper go, but when everyone suddenly(because damn it was sudden) stopped playing, then there wasnt much point playing on it either. Slippery slope effect.

I'll go do an updated poll to see what kind of map people generally favor the most, I can imagine the oppinions might have changed a little since the last poll.

..or nevermind on the poll, noticed someone else posted this:

http://www.dayzrp.com/t-change-taviana-to-namalsk

Sky    1

A map rotation would be an excellent idea so that people can get an experience of all of them. You can then leave the decision up to people later on in which they prefer.

Depending on how easy this would be to setup, I'd be behind the idea. Sounds like a great way to give everyone a little taste of each map before a final vote.

Livs    0

I agree, Taviana is horrible when it comes to DayZ.

I have only had good experiences on Namalsk though, and I tried Panthera the other day. Namalsk is smaller, but the atmosphere is a lot more fitting (maybe even more than Chernarus?)

Panthera is more like a jungle/forest map, but what I really like about that, is that the loot points are so spread out on the map, so people would be able to use the entire map, instead of camping the Northwest Airfield. Panthera also has rivers INLAND, with boats spawning there, allowing for boatrides.

I'd be happy with either Namalsk or Panthera, so it's up to you guys :-)

I know your poll also supported other options, Tomeran, but you are manipulating people by asking it the way you did: Taviana, Namalsk or other. You are probably right and Namalsk is what we want the most. But one big poll with the following options will clear this up for good.

Namalsk

Taviana

Fallujah

Takistan

Lingor

Panthera

Chernarus

Yes, Chernarus should also be in the poll. That way you don't only know which map is best for RP2, but you can also compare it with how many people actually like Chernarus the most. Maybe add an "I don't care" option for the people that really don't care, like me. I will play on any map as long as there are enough players.

-KG-    0

Lingor island! :D

http://dayzdb.com/map/lingor#2.050.046

Those small rivers going inland makes it possible to use boats properly and not just going along the coast :)

Lots of "semi-islands" and many ways to get around, flanking is made very interesting with this watery environment :)

I have only played it once so i cant say much about it but it looks like it could be potentially great in my opinion, smaller than Taviana (i guess) and not as dry and dull as Takistan, Namalsk is also a bit boring in my opinion...with all those screaming sounds in the background 24/7 -.-

Panthera could also be good though :)

You know what? Screw it, I will just learn to make maps for DayZ and make one myself that we can play on. I have one in mind already based on a RL location!

Expect RP3 in....a few years :P

Tortov    0

You know what? Screw it, I will just learn to make maps for DayZ and make one myself that we can play on. I have one in mind already based on a RL location!

Expect RP3 in....a few years :P

Luciarus?

Luciana?

Lucialsk?

Lucior?

Lutes?

Luciera?

Mavasaur    0

Pantera and Namalsk both sound like very good choices, I'm leaning more towards Pantera myself. I never enjoyed Namalsk when I played it due to it's climate. Namalsk also might be a hard map to implement due to us having to change our loot tables to reflect the cold weather suits and white ghille's along with any other Namalsk specific loot.

Reacher    0

Mav:

That being said, maybe such an environmental change is exactly what is needed for a second server? Perhaps snow and harsh climate will give that nice difference players tend to want.

I wouldn't be opposed to it, either way.

Prospero    0

I must say there are a few of us that are really loving Taviana. I was playing as a security guard how now had the opportunity to play as a real policeman, was having a great time until I got KoS. The variation of towns and cities allow for some great RP opportunities.

As it is so large it feels very empty, just as it would be post-infection but I was still meeting people even with the few that were playing when it was dark all the time. Also there are choke points on the two main roads on the North (East) Island and the bridge obviously for this inclined to set up roadblocks.

Now the servers have been upgraded is if feasible to have more people on Taviana >80, if they come and give it a go obviously. It'd be superb.

Tortov    0

Poor Lingor, getting rejected :(

Definitely needs to be a small map though to accommodate for RP...

Comrade Deg    13

Panthera or lingor hands down.

Pan    0

I personally love Namalsk and I would be all-for having RP2 be set there. Perhaps there could be an RP event in RP1 where players can migrate to Namalsk?