Server time: 2017-08-21, 02:53

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Heinz

FX-8350 or 3570k?

Guest Heinz   
Guest Heinz

I'm planning to upgrade my components in near future and I'm not sure which one to get, some say 3570k is better and some say that FX-8350 is better, so you PC wizards which one is better for gaming and rendering videos?

Guest Heinz   
Guest Heinz

I enjoy AMD/ATI, (fanboy) so I say go with the FX.

Thanks for opinion, but I'm looking to know through facts that which one would be more suitable. :)

Mavasaur    0

It's by far the best CPU for the money.

Now we know a lot of people have a hard time overclocking these processors even over 4300 MHz, so as such these are all good reasons to retest this processor we say. So today a standalone review on the Ivy bridge architecture based Core i5 3570K where we'll learn you how to take it towards 4700 MHz as well. What is Ivy bridge ? Let me put it very simply, you take say a Sandy Bridge Core i7 2600/2700K processor, apply it to a smaller fabrication node (22nm), increase the Turbo a little, increase the graphics performance a little and bam... that's a Core i7 3770K processor. Performance wise Ivy Bridge series never did stun and shock like the Sandy Bridge series did once they where introduced. In fact clock for clock it is all roughly the very same, with a +0.8% performance offset in favor of Ivy Bridge.

However -- with Ivy Bridge comes fairly nice overclockability, the platform comes with native USB 3.0, we got PCIe Gen 3 for the fastest graphics cards and overall just is a really fast processor series. Ever since Sandy Bridge there has been another massive change inside the processor, integrated graphics processor cores working in symbiosis with the CPU, even sharing cache, embedded and harbored inside the processor. It all started with the Core i5 650, 660 and 661 processors but these CPUs had two little small chips on the processor die, literally. And that has changed as both Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge have embedded IGPs. For Ivy Bridge the IGP has certainly gotten a good chunk faster, as they must compete with AMD's really excellent implementation. Next to that, the IGP is now DirectX 11 compatible as well.

Guest Samuel   
Guest Samuel

It's by far the best CPU for the money.

Now we know a lot of people have a hard time overclocking these processors even over 4300 MHz, so as such these are all good reasons to retest this processor we say. So today a standalone review on the Ivy bridge architecture based Core i5 3570K where we'll learn you how to take it towards 4700 MHz as well. What is Ivy bridge ? Let me put it very simply, you take say a Sandy Bridge Core i7 2600/2700K processor, apply it to a smaller fabrication node (22nm), increase the Turbo a little, increase the graphics performance a little and bam... that's a Core i7 3770K processor. Performance wise Ivy Bridge series never did stun and shock like the Sandy Bridge series did once they where introduced. In fact clock for clock it is all roughly the very same, with a +0.8% performance offset in favor of Ivy Bridge.

However -- with Ivy Bridge comes fairly nice overclockability, the platform comes with native USB 3.0, we got PCIe Gen 3 for the fastest graphics cards and overall just is a really fast processor series. Ever since Sandy Bridge there has been another massive change inside the processor, integrated graphics processor cores working in symbiosis with the CPU, even sharing cache, embedded and harbored inside the processor. It all started with the Core i5 650, 660 and 661 processors but these CPUs had two little small chips on the processor die, literally. And that has changed as both Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge have embedded IGPs. For Ivy Bridge the IGP has certainly gotten a good chunk faster, as they must compete with AMD's really excellent implementation. Next to that, the IGP is now DirectX 11 compatible as well.

This!

Considering the power per buck the Intel is 10x better.

Guest Heinz   
Guest Heinz

Okay, thanks.

What would be best options for ~500€ to get CPU, CPU cooler (planning to overclock the CPU), bigger case (current antec three hundred) and mother board (SLI capability would be +)?

Rolle    2453

Well duh, obviously 3570k.

Look at the parts I bought for RP1 and 2 - did good research on them, they are optimized for best performance/buck.

Case: Fractal Design Define R4

Board: Asrock Z77 Extreme4

CPU: 3570k

Cooling: Antec Kuhler 620

Have two sets of them now, doing great. With CPU OC to 4.5GHz I have 30*C idle in the RP2 server.

Should be about 500€

Mavasaur    0

What do you mean? If you only have 500 Euro to spend, get the CPU and Cooler, if you have more, upgrade your HDD, and Mobo, a case is to a point, only cosmetic, if it works for you and supports full ATX motherboards, there's really no need to replace it.

Guest Heinz   
Guest Heinz

I mean that, my case seems quite small and I'm afraid that I can't fit all that in, especially if I get another GPU, not sure am I worrying for nothing though. :P

Sir Soarin    0

While you're gaming the 3570k and the FX-8350 won't give a lot of different results in performance. Here is a video from LinusTechTips showing the performance in games between the two CPUs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICVeN6WEGgg.

For rendering videos if you're going to render a lot of videos the FX-8350 will be performing better, since it has 8 cores (3570k has 4 cores).

The current record for overclocking is set on a FX-8350, 8.8 GHz! (Source: http://valid.canardpc.com/records.php ) It might not make a difference when you're overclocking your CPU, since you won't climb that far up with it.

Conclusion: The FX-8350 is probably the best way to go, if you render a lot of videos. I personally would go for a 3570k, since I won't be taking advantages of the 8 cores (I don't even know any game that uses up to 8 cores, and I won't be rendering videos) and I already happen to have a Socket 1155 motherboard.

Sir Hawke    28

While you're gaming the 3570k and the FX-8350 won't give a lot of different results in performance. Here is a video from LinusTechTips showing the performance in games between the two CPUs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICVeN6WEGgg.

For rendering videos if you're going to render a lot of videos the FX-8350 will be performing better, since it has 8 cores (3570k has 4 cores).

The current record for overclocking is set on a FX-8350, 8.8 GHz! (Source: http://valid.canardpc.com/records.php ) It might not make a difference when you're overclocking your CPU, since you won't climb that far up with it.

Conclusion: The FX-8350 is probably the best way to go, if you render a lot of videos. I personally would go for a 3570k, since I won't be taking advantages of the 8 cores (I don't even know any game that uses up to 8 cores, and I won't be rendering videos) and I already happen to have a Socket 1155 motherboard.

/thread

Jukki    1

If you remder videos then get 3770k if not get 3570k

Fx-8350 has similiar performance in modern games when compared to 3570k (usualy barely, when 3570k comes viy infront) but as said, multithreaded applications tend to run better on 8350. However, 3770k will destroy 8350 every way.

I dont know if 8350 has pcie 3gen, if not you might notice some improvements on your current gen graphics card too ;)

Guest Heinz   
Guest Heinz

currently I'm pretty much gaming and surfing in internet, in future though I will probably render videos etc. might just build another computer for that. :P

I also have AM3 CPU currently, so I'd need to buy new mobo anyway, the question is, should I stay with current case or go for bigger one?

Edit: current one is antec three hundred

Sir Soarin    0

I also have AM3 CPU currently, so I'd need to buy new mobo anyway, the question is, should I stay with current case or go for bigger one?

Edit: current one is antec three hundred

The case is up to you, if you feel that's it does not suit your needs I would go for a bigger one. My current favourite cases are:

NZXT Switch 810 (link) - Large case with good airflow and great opportunities for own custom water cooling loops. Have the features you will be needing from a big case.

Corsair Obsidian 900/800D (900D, 800D) - Great case for water cooling, not the best air cooling however. Lots of great features in a really big box.

NZXT Phantom 820 (link) - Large case with great opportunities for air cooling. Looks really cool and stands out a little compared to the other cases I have mentioned. Lots of great features and space.

Jukki    1

What case do you currently have?

Best case for budget, antec 300 (or 302). It is small size but can fit easily.everything inside, has lot of room for hdd's and optical drives, fits bit bigger atx boards, great aircooling.

I have my 3570k with huge noctua nh-d14 and msi gtx 670 in there without any problems. Temperaures are 30 on idle and 60 on full load.

And it costs like 50 e.

Jukki    1

Herp derp. Yeah stick with that case. It can fit most of the graphics cards there fine, and if it can just mod it a bit. It is prety good case ;)