Server time: 2017-10-18, 14:39
Safe Zone: CLOSED

Sign in to follow this  
Vadim

newcomer to the DayZRP servers

Vadim    0

Hey guys I was just wondering about the waypoint feature, I can't get it to work. Am I missing something or does the server not allow it?

if so how would you suggest I find my way around most efficiently?

Appreciate any help, thanks.

Guest Slip   
Guest Slip

Its only available in helicopters. I think its good that it is not around, makes it more immersive for instance. For people that don't have much experience with Chernarus pre-DayZ you actually begin to learn the map a lot faster than with waypoints enabled, you can't just set a marker and hold W you actually have to look at your surroundings and compare them with your map.

Atleast thats the way I feel about it.

Feel free to PM me if you need anymore help :)

Vadim    0

Okey, yeah I agree it certainly adds immersion and suits the rp aspect.

Just used to it during my public days ;) thanks for the fast answer!

Guest Slip   
Guest Slip

Okey, yeah I agree it certainly adds immersion and suits the rp aspect.

Just used to it during my public days ;) thanks for the fast answer!

Its also a nice treat when you get it available in a heli haha, not that the helicopter itself isn't a treat, mind you :P

No worrys, have fun :D

Goz    2

Waypoints are disabled on Dayzrp servers. (except helicopters)

I suggest to use map and compass :D

Caoineach    1

As former U.S. Army, I can tell you that land navigation isn't a cake walk. It isn't truly hard, but it isn't easy either.

It takes environmental awareness, including properly measuring your stride (so that you can reasonably tell how far you have traveled in a certain number of steps), proper use of a terrain map, proper use of a compass, a ruler or some other device to plot way points (on the map) which is incremented either in metric. If your ruler is in standard increments, you should know how to convert inches to meters on a metric scale map so you can plot accurate travel paths and way points.

So there is a lot of information and expertise needed for land navigation. It isn't as easy as marking a spot on a map and seeing the distance/direction on a heads-up display. One would need some type of navigation computer for that! So it makes sense for helicopters....NOT for individual humans with only a map and compass. Hell, even having a GPS device isn't going to show distance and destination in the world at large...only on its display screen.

I happen to love land navigation, including its challenges. I was disappointed to find so many DayZ servers where you could set way points if you possessed a map....even without a compass! *sigh*

My first weeks here were interesting but thanks to DayZ I can now use a map in real life and examine the topography! *flex*

Tortov    0

You reap what you sow.

Learn the map the hard way.

It takes a few months, but at the end of it you'll have some pointless knowledge.

Skippy    4

It's not really pointless knowledge. The ability to read a map can come in very, very handy.

Sin    127

My first weeks here were interesting but thanks to DayZ I can now use a map in real life and examine the topography! *flex*

This. My wife is into geocaching but can't use a compass to save her life. Thanks to DayZ I'm also much better at estimating distance by sight and dead reckoning.

NB I believe the SUV and perhaps the fishing boat allow you to set waypoints. At the very least, the SUV has GPS.

Tortov    0

It's not really pointless knowledge. The ability to read a map can come in very, very handy.

If you think that learning a game map will come in handy, that's your opinion.

Jess Newton    2

I like the fact that this server forces you to learn land navigation.. Its a useful skill to anyone.. I have experience with it in the Army as well.. which helped me navigate throughout this land.. I can pretty much get from point A to point B with no problems.. and I have only played this game a few weeks now.

Skippy    4

If you think that learning a game map will come in handy, that's your opinion.

Not the actual video game map, but the ability to read a topographical map over all. I said: "The ability to read a map can come in very, very handy." I did not say "The ability to read a map of Chernarus can come in very, very handy." Try reading what people write next time.