Safe Zone: CLOSED

DayZ maintenance is in progress

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Skoomer

Vehicle Keys

Guest Skoomer   
Guest Skoomer

Hey,

so whats about an "vehicle locking" script? Would that be possible?

Lets say, someone finds a vehicle. If it spawns fresh, you`ll find a key in its gear.

If somebody owns it, you`ll need to find this person and get the key from him or search for the place where he could`ve stored it.

And if the car wasn`t in use for lets say 2 or 3 days, the key will automatically spawn back in the car.

I think that would make it more realistic and could bring a new aspect for roleplay. "Quick, in the car! We`ve to get out of here! Damn, Jimmy had the keys, look for his body!"

I think that would be a nice feature.

Regards,

Skoomer

(hope my english wasn`t that bad)

Skippy    4

If you added this, you would also need lockpicks, but with lockpicks added I wouldn't mind it!

Oldman    22

Still with a lockpick you at least need to loot an additional item to steal someones car.

Kilgath    0

Cool concept but I don't think it would fit personally. Now adding locks to building and lock picks would be cool. I'm just assuming that most cars are probably already hot wired. Espically in older reigns like Chernarus. the cars are easily done since they probably aren't modern. (I know from experience, used to start my old berretta with a screwdriver under the steering wheel lol)

Tortov    0

It is possible because it is found on Arma 2 RPG mods.

IMO it adds unnecessary complication, and end up with everyone unrealistically blowing up locked vehicles with the "If I can't drive it, neither can you" mentality.

Ruffboi    0

IMO it adds unnecessary complication, and end up with everyone unrealistically blowing up locked vehicles with the "If I can't drive it, neither can you" mentality.

I sadly agree.

Almasm    0

I was going to post a similar thread, but found this. I have to agree some form if lock etc would be good. Example

I finally found a vehicle today, spent ages running to/fro getting parts etc. got it working started driving away. Had to do my dad duty so parked up in a fairly hidden area ( not perfect but there were only 6 people online) logged off for about an hour or so, came back car gone.

Now i understand finders keepers etc but surely we must be able to secure these somehow. Especially seeing how few n far between they seem to be.

Some way of securing vehicles would definitely be a plus. At the very least, it would be marginally more realistic given what we have to work with.

I don't see it ever happening, though. Not on this server.

Rolle    2932

Some way of securing vehicles would definitely be a plus. At the very least, it would be marginally more realistic given what we have to work with.

You mean not in DayZ ;)

BobitoZ    0

This is why they should take away the ability to blow up a car. Cars don't blow up in real life. Its absurd that they do in this game.

Oh? You hit a rock with a car: C4 explosion

You mean not in DayZ ;)

My biggest problem with it? Security. It's ridiculous that I have to give up a car if I'm going to log out. What's the RP rationale behind that? What if I want to sleep in my car and I could shoot someone that wants to steal it? Oh, but you can hide it in a tree. That's still a pretty busted solution to the problem, I think.

It doesn't account for the fact that IC, characters don't simply disappear from existence. I feel that if you manage to secure a vehicle, you should be allowed to keep it for as long as you can keep it fueled, repaired, and keep others from stealing it from you.

Obviously there's no EASY solution to the problem. Being able to render a car unstealable and indestructible isn't a solution, and allowing you to "log" a vehicle out with you presents problems when you log in (if another person/vehicle is in the spot where it's going to spawn, for example), and allowing characters to "pocket" vehicles and respawn them anywhere they want is clearly unrealistic.

I feel that something could be done to make vehicles a little more secure, or at least guarantee that simply having to log out (especially if it's some IRL bullshit that drags you away) doesn't mean you lose your car.

"Oh, no friends to take your car and no time to hide it? Bye bye car!"

And yes, I know "that's the way it is", I'm just saying that it shouldn't be.

Pavel    0

why not introduce a savegame feature while were at it? this is dayz, it is what it is.

im sure each of us have 100+ things we could list that would make the mod perfect, but until standalone this is what we have.

until standalone this is what we have.

So, Rolle and the crew should just...stop bothering to implement any improvements despite the fact that standalone is over a year away and even then there won't be a Standalone RP mod immediately?

So far, none of your counter-arguments to my suggestions have been even remotely helpful.

Pavel    0

not in DayZ ;)

dayz is, as rocket himself called it.. 'the anti-game.' its stressful and frustrating. its only a mod, not a fully supported product.. and dayzRP is a mod of a mod.

nobodys saying we ought to stop implementing improvements but you gotta play the hand you're dealt.

And yes, I know "that's the way it is", I'm just saying that it shouldn't be.

if you know thats the way it is, what exactly are you suggesting? im confused.

Be cause the way it is isn't the way it has to be.

I'm just suggesting that vehicles should be a little more secure. I'm not talking fort knox or anything, I'd just like to see vehicles as more than just a temporary "buff" that lasts until you log out.

Guest Skoomer   
Guest Skoomer

Be cause the way it is isn't the way it has to be.

I'm just suggesting that vehicles should be a little more secure. I'm not talking fort knox or anything, I'd just like to see vehicles as more than just a temporary "buff" that lasts until you log out.

I totaly agree

I like this idea, but maybe not for cars.

Maybe there's another way to approach this.

Item "Code Lock"

Four or three digit code lock ( http://www.goo.gl/5CDd9 )

Applied to warehouse doors/gates ( Warehouse: http://www.goo.gl/Pnnmc )

Spawn location: Industrial buildings / compounds

Spawn chance: Rare

When the code is entered the item will be removed from the door and be placed in the inventory.

When applied to door/gate, dialog box asks for a four pin code, when entered and pressed "ok" door is locked.

Edit:

* This makes it harder to pile up numbers of vehicles since you only got room for maybe one or two in that warehouse. But it will also increase the chance of saving the vehicles you posses.

* It is rare to find the lock, there will still be vehicles hidden in woods or whatever across the map.

Nikolai B.    0

This exists in the Amra II game Takistan Life.

The big negative to this is that you can lock a person in a car.

Jukki    1

Definet no for locking.

I can just shmash the window and hotwire the car.

Pavel    0

the chances of you having a car more than a couples of days in an apocaplyptic scenario are slim anyways (im talking theoretically..) so the balance is about right.

nobody should have 'rights' to a vehicle, if we were able to keep cars after we log out there'd be hundreds of vehicles stored on the server.

Guest Elc0m   
Guest Elc0m

Ok so then whats the point of hiding cars then? Just lock and leave in TP all night. No! It doesn't fit in DayZ.

Another form of safe storage. This doesn't work in the environment we have for DayZ, plus the fact that we don't have the ability to break windows and have access to the car by other means.

the chances of you having a car more than a couples of days in an apocaplyptic scenario are slim anyways (im talking theoretically..) so the balance is about right.

nobody should have 'rights' to a vehicle, if we were able to keep cars after we log out there'd be hundreds of vehicles stored on the server.

That is not entirely true..

Now, I know this is not a tv serie and neither The walking dead, but just to bring out an example.

For you that know, some of the groups have cars, stored up, for long. Just like we hide them in the forest. That is why I think it is better to be able to have a lock for a building, that could be broken. A 3 digit code means there are 999 different combination and a 2 digit code means there is 99 different combination, which could make it possible to find out, over time, what the correct combination is

Edit: Of course there could be other ways to break a lock to.

Nikolai B.    0

Since we cannot simulate entry through alternative means, it seems silly that in the interest of "realism" we adopt keys.

If you want it to be realistic, you have to offer alternatives to the one way of entry.

If you start making a bunch of alternatives, that when balance goes out the window (hehehe).

Pavel    0

maybe if there were a rare toolbelt item that gave you the ability to attempt to break locks, on either vehicles or houses, care packages, whatever.

it could take up multiple spaces (like the toolbox should, actually..) so if you carry said item, and the toolbox it limits your role in a group to that of a mechanic / lockbreaker.. and you can't carry other things.

i know im straying off topic, but this would open up 'roles' in groups, such as hunter / looter / fighter / mechanic / lockbreaker etc. much like MMO's.