Server time: 2017-10-23, 20:54
Safe Zone: CLOSED

Sign in to follow this  
Primus Palus

Update the Server Rules?

I see new rules at least since the last time I was on this server like the New Life Rule. But none of them are listed in the rules page (this really isn't well explained, "Follow the NLR, death of your character makes any previous contacts/gear and knowledge void."). Can someone update them to be more in depth?

Can you list all of the rules in place for the server now (separately and not within the paragraphs)? Maybe a few examples of what is correct and what's not (like shooting at vehicles, retaliation for stolen vehicles, etc).

Sky    1

I'll copy paste what I said from another thread to explain why the rules are more simplistic and less like a code of conduct.

We used to have a rules section that was much more detailed, however that was overhauled in favor of a more simplistic set of rules for several reasons.

The main one being that too many rules make playing very laboured. As this is an RP server, we preferred the idea of players being able to make decisions for themselves by using their common sense, rather than having the rules direct their every action.

I'd agree that this might not be ideal for newcomers who are trying to learn the specifics, however I can tell you that just using common sense well get you a long way.

As for some of the more complicated scenarios, the thread Goz linked is the place for the community to ask and for the staff to answer. Beyond that, you are more than welcome to contact anyone from staff via PM, Teamspeak, or IRC and someone should usually be available to answer any of your questions.

I do not feel that a complete and thorough breakdown of every rule is necessary, however I do agree that perhaps a little more detail could be helpful to new players, maybe even with a few examples. I might write up a draft in a few hours and post it here, see what people think.

I like personally seeing the gist of each rule in a section by itself. Like

I. This rule.

II. This rule.

III. This rule.

Now this server doesn't have many rules (which is why I like it)... I have the freedom to play the way I want. But certain rules are very vague and some people flat out don't understand them the way they are written. Some crucial information is omitted that I think should be included.

But yeah, if you create a draft... I'd definitely want to see it.

Mavasaur    0

The New Life Rule (NLR) is simple, really. I will explain..

If you die, to infected, or players, you are not to return to your body nor the area in which you died (until the next restart is a good rule of thumb for how long you should wait)

NLR means you are a new person, new to Chernarus. You do not have to roleplay like you are new to Chernarus, however, your knowledge in your previous life is null and void.

The New Life Rule (NLR) is simple, really. I will explain..

If you die, to infected, or players, you are not to return to your body nor the area in which you died (until the next restart is a good rule of thumb for how long you should wait)

NLR means you are a new person, new to Chernarus. You do not have to roleplay like you are new to Chernarus, however, your knowledge in your previous life is null and void.

It's simple... but it's not explained in the rules. Most of the rules are really vague and hard for people to understand what is right and what's not.

I know I've seen quite a few people not interpreting the rules correctly.

Mavasaur    0

Noted. I will work on getting the rules more clarified without having to alter our "simple" rule set.

Tosme    0

The previous problem we had with the rules was that we had to explain everything down to detail, but atleast the NLR can be described better I guess.

Tomeran    3

It is probably a good idea to set down one or two examples for each rule(or at least where there's a clear need), so people get a proper understanding of it.

What I think is great about not having all rules specified is that you have to ask and look around what is and isn't allowed. It shows that you are willing to invest in making this an awesome experience. You could argue that it is confusing for newcomers if the rules aren't all defined, but maybe you aren't supposed to play here if you aren't even willing to put a little bit of effort in understanding the rules.

And it's not like the rules are difficult to understand. It's common sense, really. Doesn't mean you shouldn't ask. Asking is good, and a lot of people here are willing to help you.

If it so happens you break a rule you didn't know about (which is pretty much impossible if you put a little effort in it), then so what? It happens. Say you're sorry and no one will hold a grudge. Maybe you get banned for a day or two. Take that time to learn some more. See the incident as a learning experience.

I would say keep it the way it is. NLR should be defined though.

ltvyrus    0

I concur with the update as I requested one earlier as well. :P If something is a trend then it might warrant a second look.

You can find many clarifications in this thread : http://www.dayzrp.com/t-questions-answers-rules-clarification

Yes, but these are what we "havereadtherules" of. So when filling out an application, what they see is what they get. Clarifications with each off the wall scenario being asked is great... but I'm talking about clear and concise explanation up front that they agree to.